General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Richard120
(newbie) Wed 19-Jul-17 11:47:54
Print Post

Fibre from BT but no one else?

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone. Just want to ask quick question about Fibre availability. Recently moved and had to downgrade from fibre to standard broadband from Sky. 3 weeks left on contract.
Using the openreach website is says cabinet 101 (provides to my postcode of DA18 4BP) is undergoing maintenance but is in a fibre area (Thamesmead exchange which i was connected to before at my old house and had fibre)
Just wondered how BT says they can still provide Infinity (which i thought was Fibre) when no other provider says they can yet. I have rung them and they have confirmed that i can have Infinity upto 76mb at the new address (i checked in case website was displaying old information).
Iv tried looking at Talk Talk, Plus net and Sky, and all say Fibre not available. Could it be mistake or would BT know when the maintenance is scheduled to be finished and taking orders which would then be installed after this date. Cabinet has been listed as under maintenance since 19th June.
Any thoughts would be appreciated as don't want to sign up to BT to find its an error and go through hassle of cancelling etc Sky & Talk Talk seemed to find it unusual as they all use the same network
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Jul-17 12:46:35
Print Post

Re: Fibre from BT but no one else?

[re: Richard120] [link to this post]

Cabinet was not taking further orders due to a capacity issue, and checking the wholesale checker suggests this may still be the case with more capacity available 15th August 2017.

BT Consumer has been known to take orders in cases where the ready date is close, since orders take a few weeks to be activated anyway.

So advice for now is to wait until everyone says its available.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Richard120
(newbie) Thu 20-Jul-17 09:26:31
Print Post

Re: Fibre from BT but no one else?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info and advice.

I agree that waiting is the best option. My contract hasnt expired yet, but i like to look at options before hand. I have given notice to sky to end my TV package as this would be turned off after this date (but before the price goes up by £20). Left Broadband active as another provider could take over the active line after this date and i wouldnt be without the internet. After all if Sky can then do fibre after the date and ring me to do a deal on the TV package (like they have done every other year i have cancelled) then its easy to sort out.

Thanks again

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to