General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ohit
(newbie) Wed 19-Jul-17 16:10:56
Print Post

Another (2nd) FTTC line

[link to this post]

I currently have a perfectly working FTTC connection with A&A (on their TTB [TalkTalk] backhaul).

I paid for a brand new installation as part of that A&A connection. The OpenReach engineer installed a brand new cable from the underground distribution point to inside my house.

I think the brand new phone cable contained 2 copper pairs - would this be a fair assumption?
I then assume only 1 pair is currently used for my A&A FTTC.

If I ordered another FTTC connection with a different provider and paid for another new line installation as part of this 2nd connection, would the OpenReach engineer be able to use the other pair on the existing physical phone cable to successfully connect up the 2nd FTTC broadband?
And if so, would the performance of both broadband connections be ok or is interference between the two likely?

The ideal would be to not need to drill new holes for a potential 2nd FTTC connection.

(If it helps, the 2nd FTTC line would be with a different LLU provider - e.g. BT/Plusnet or Sky)

TIA,

--

A&A Home::1 VDSL | Virgin Media 200 Gamer | Vodafone 4G
+ DrayTek router
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Jul-17 16:37:49
Print Post

Re: Another (2nd) FTTC line

[re: ohit] [link to this post]

It may even have 4 pairs in. I know my lead in from the DP does.

The engineer would use another pair from the same cable but a nee hole may be required in the wall, depends on the installation.

It's possible that both lines will suffer some degree of crosstalk.
Standard User nOw2
(learned) Wed 19-Jul-17 22:13:37
Print Post

I had two FTTC installed. I also deliberately went for different LL providers, excellent for resiliency and I've never had a situation when both failed at the same time.

The existing cable into the house here had at least two pairs in it. The engineer just put a second BT socket next to the original. Doesn't matter who the provider is as it's an OR engineer that'll get the line into the house using whatever existing infrastructure they can find.

There wasn't detectable crosstalk interference initially but the second line (BT) performed much better at 30Mbit than the original (Sky) at 25Mbit. Both dropped have since dropped to 25/20 as the cabinet filled up (a second cabinet is going in later this year).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ohit
(newbie) Wed 19-Jul-17 22:39:21
Print Post

[re: nOw2] [link to this post]

Both useful - thanks very much

I'm happy with the drilling required to secure the 2nd master socket to the wall.

How would the engineer get access to the physical cable? My current/1st master socket is attached to a stud/plywood wall with the physical telephone cable directly out the back of it (then running behind the plywood wall, through some ducting and then out into the front.

Would the engineer for the 2nd line be happy to remove the 1st master socket to get access to the 2nd pair in the cable?

I am being particular - really appreciate people's help here - because I spent a lot of effort setting things up so everything looked neat, and don't want to have to take off and refit the stud wall again for this next 2nd line idea.

TIA
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Jul-17 23:23:15
Print Post

The engineer will be able to access the other pair from outside the house. Do you have a BT66 (grey box) on the wall outside?
Standard User craski
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 09:15:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by ohit:
And if so, would the performance of both broadband connections be ok or is interference between the two likely?

I have two FTTC lines at same location. The first has been installed for around 18 months. The second went in a few weeks ago. When the second line was connected, the attainable rate dropped by 10Mb on the first line but both lines are still happily syncing at full speed (80/20) and both working fine.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User ohit
(newbie) Thu 20-Jul-17 09:25:07
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
The engineer will be able to access the other pair from outside the house. Do you have a BT66 (grey box) on the wall outside?

Not sure if it's a BT66, but the colour is brown. (I can check properly later today)
New one installed as part of the new 1st line installation. Engineer can access that, sure, but what about inside the house to fit 2nd master socket?
Standard User ohit
(newbie) Thu 20-Jul-17 09:27:18
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
both lines are still happily syncing at full speed (80/20) and both working fine.

Great, thanks - useful info.

How is Talk Talk Business btw? I assume better than their consumer service and using the same Talk Talk LLU that A&A use, which is an appealing option to potential migrate away from A&A (with then a different provider on the 2nd FTTC line).
Standard User craski
(member) Thu 20-Jul-17 09:39:43
Print Post

So far I'm happy with Talk Talk Business. Their technical support is responsive on both phone and electronic help system and the service quality has been good with latency slightly lower than my Zen/BTW line and consistent throughput on speed tests at all times of the day.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Jul-17 10:20:59
Print Post

You may well find that the cable that goes into the house has multiple pairs in it, perhaps take the cover of the external junction box and post a photo.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to