General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ARock
(newbie) Mon 24-Jul-17 22:06:36
Print Post

Unresolved REIN issue

[link to this post]

After 5 long months of severe broadband disruption to my house, BT and Openreach have found a REIN issue caused by a faulty equipment in a neighbour's house. BT have declared it as deadlock situation and told me that they cannot do much as the neighbour is not cooperating. I'm fed up with 2Mbps that too for only 10-12 hours a day. I live in a small close of 4 houses with 3 BT (including me) and 1Sky Fibre optic broadband connections. My neighbours do not have any problem. I was getting 44 Mbps until January this year. I'm not in Virgin coverage area. What are my options? I cannot go on like this. Thanks for your advice.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Jul-17 22:50:17
Print Post

Re: Unresolved REIN issue

[re: ARock] [link to this post]

You can try the regulator, they may be able to help.

Have you spoken to the neighbour? What is the equipment? Is it expensive? Can it be replaced easily?

I'm suprised your line is the only one affected.
Standard User ARock
(newbie) Mon 24-Jul-17 22:53:38
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. I'm in the process of filling in a complaint to Ofcom. BT said they can't divulge the details of the neighbour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Tue 25-Jul-17 02:11:53
Print Post

grab an old AM radio and go for a walk and find it?
a small repair may be all that is required, not necessarily a whole device needing replaced.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm#REIN_identify

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 25-Jul-17 02:14:50)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jul-17 06:47:59
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Be careful though, many things make REIN type noises on a MW radio, but are not sources of REIN.

As Lee mentions, odd that it affects just you, if it is REIN.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 08:36:55
Print Post

I assume Openreach have spoken to the neighbour? Given you've said they're not cooperating.

If so, isn't it a simple case of knocking on each of your 3 neighbours and having a chat with them, explaining the issues said item is causing you and see if you can come to an agreement.

Often the personal route is more accepting than the corporate route for some people.
Standard User mjv
(newbie) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:46:58
Print Post

1. REIN is Electromagnetic Emissions.
The Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive 2014/30/EU ensures that electrical and electronic equipment does not generate, or is not affected by, electromagnetic disturbance.
So by law BT is responsible for supplying equipment to meet the EMC directive.
2. You will have a contract with BT which guarantees a broad band service within certain speeds - it will state something like 43 to 53 Mb with a min of 40 Mb.
3. BT speed test only gives a max speed and the test is like saying there is a pipe which could supply say 53 Mb - problem is that they forgot the pump so no water flows.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:52:56
Print Post

[re: mjv] [link to this post]

No one said it was BT's kit causing the problem. It will be the copper line that is picking up the interference, not the OP's router.

Openreach have zero powers to make someone turn off or replace any equipment which may be causing the problem.

If Openreach cannot resolve and as a result BT cannot supply the service, then the OP will be offered out of their contract. Simple as that.

Not sure your analogy in point 3 makes any sense.

Edited by lee111s (Tue 25-Jul-17 09:53:23)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 25-Jul-17 10:03:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:
No one said it was BT's kit causing the problem. It will be the copper line that is picking up the interference, not the OP's router.

Openreach have zero powers to make someone turn off or replace any equipment which may be causing the problem.

If Openreach cannot resolve and as a result BT cannot supply the service, then the OP will be offered out of their contract. Simple as that.

Not sure your analogy in point 3 makes any sense.

But OFCOM can ... the problem will be getting them to act when just a single user is affected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 10:09:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Indeed, which is why in my first reply I advised contacting them smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to