General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 25-Jul-17 08:39:55
Print Post

Think about FTTPoD

[link to this post]

Before i start bothering ISPs I wonder if I can make a rough guesstimate on the installation cost. According to OR

"Openreach will calculate the relevant distance band for an Order using the radial distance from the relevant NGA aggregation node, calculated using the details recorded by Openreach". (source)

I'm not sure what an NGA aggregation node is and where they are. Something different from the green street cabinets? Or are they attached to the cabinets?

If I knew the location I could work out the distance. A couple of kilometres and its a case of forget it...

Can I work out where the NGA is?
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 25-Jul-17 08:54:22
Print Post

Re: Think about FTTPoD

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Can I work out where the NGA is?

No, it will be in an underground box possibly near a cabinet but possible thry could utilise a different node as the as cabinet is irrelevant
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:03:15
Print Post

Your best bet is probably to ask an OR Engineer working at/near your FTTC cabinet where the nearest agg node is.

Alternatively if you get a non-binding FTTPoD quote from fluidone.com then they'll give you the agg node band classification and associated costs. But I suspect you'll pay at least £2k (+vat) for even a Band A installation and then obviously there's the £300 monthly service charges on top of that.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 25-Jul-17 09:05:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:09:20
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Chances of coming across someone who knows what an AN is let alone where they are and how they are connected is pretty remote. Better chance to ask here
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:09:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
obviously there's the £300 monthly service charges on top of that.

Why do I have £200/month in my head? Are different ISPs charging different monthly fees? Is it a two or three year contract? I wouldn't mind £200 over three years but not £300 over two!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:12:41
Print Post

MrS mentioned £200 earlier - I think there may be some services that could be available at that but the only one we have seen actually talked about on here recently is Fluidone which people are paying £300 per month for. There is a very limited market of suppliers for FTTPoD and they are prices aimed at small business rather than home users.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:14:16
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Chances of coming across someone who knows what an AN is let alone where they are and how they are connected is pretty remote. Better chance to ask here

OR bod working on my FTTPoD installation knew where my nearest agg node was and how it was all connected up, I've also seen him working at my FTTC cab as well. But I agree not every OR engineer will know.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:14:40
Print Post

It's more like £300 over 3.

Edited by lee111s (Tue 25-Jul-17 09:15:00)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:24:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
obviously there's the £300 monthly service charges on top of that.

Why do I have £200/month in my head? Are different ISPs charging different monthly fees? Is it a two or three year contract? I wouldn't mind £200 over three years but not £300 over two!

As well as covering the OR/BT Wholesale costs & their own backhaul costs (which will be high for an unlimited 330/30 service), I'm sure Fluidone are also charging a small premium as they are the only ISP currently offering the OR based service. Btw after vat, its £360 a month for 3 years...but after 3 years you can migrate to a cheap as chips native FTTP service from BT (if you wished). If you live in SW England/S Wales then Spectrum Internet can also offer you FTTPoD provided they have LLU'd your exchange. Their prices are around the £250 pm mark + installation of course.

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 25-Jul-17 09:30:54
Print Post

Btw after vat, its £360 a month for 3 years...but after 3 years you can migrate to a cheap as chips native FTTP service from BT (if you wished). If you live in SW England/S Wales then Spectrum Internet can also offer you FTTPoD provided they have LLU'd your exchange. Their prices are around the £250 pm mark + installation of course.

Don't live in the south west but I can reclaim the VAT... Talking with my current ISP recently about something and they said they didn't advertise FTTPoD as its so expensive. I took that to mean they'd sell it to me if I really really insisted. So maybe there are more suppliers than first meets the eye.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to