General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 28-Jul-17 12:54:02
Print Post

No fibre shown at dslchecker and OR say ...

[link to this post]

Investigating a new property where the developer hasn't done a deal for FTTP.

The OR/BT DSL checker doesn't mention fibre other than FTTPoD. Some other built properties show VDSL availability as "waiting list".

So I asked OR. They say

The Cabinet has run out of capacity due to high demand of fibre in the area.

We are still waiting for the ports to be installed as the increase in Cabinetís capacity will be possible only when there will be any project or plans for the same.

We are sorry to disappoint you with news that we donít have any estimated date for the project to commence.

The bit about not having a date to increase capacity is worrying. Is it possible that the street I'm looking at won't be fibre enabled for a long time?

The other end of the street where I currently live is only now getting fibre (well, by the end of the year) and that's about five years since I've had it.

Any thoughts?
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 28-Jul-17 14:19:01
Print Post

Re: No fibre shown at dslchecker and OR say ...

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

People need to talk with their wallets. Decent internet is essential for most modern families, especially those that do some work from home.

Why oh why anyone would cough up a 6 figure sum £££ for a property only offering ADSL is beyond me. If people didn't buy, developers would dip in their pockets. It's only 20-30k for them to have a fibre cabinet installed.

If they are building over 30 properties then OpenReach will install FTTP for free. They need OpenReach to be involved from the beginning though, so they can stipulate where they need ducts/chambers to be built.

The answer to your question is yes, it could be a very long time before you can order fibre. OpenReach weren't clear if just new line cards need installed or a 2nd cabinet is required. The talk of ports suggests just a line card required but the sentence
We are still waiting for the ports to be installed as the increase in Cabinetís capacity will be possible only when there will be any project or plans for the same.

is a bit jibberish to me.

Ask in the developers sales office about fibre. If they tell you there's none politely tell them that's the reason you're not interested. Either that or hand over your life's work, blood, sweat and tears, for an ADSL based broadband.

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 28-Jul-17 14:20:33)

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Fri 28-Jul-17 18:17:38
Print Post

Your link dosnt work for me. Which cab?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Jul-17 20:42:46
Print Post

Have we not discussed this before?

In terms of dates, Openreach used to much more free at giving out dates but after complaints about these dates not being kept 100% of the time, it is safer to give no date and be very non specific

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 29-Jul-17 09:19:24
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Halfway (WSHAL), Cab 20.
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 29-Jul-17 09:26:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have we not discussed this before?

Yes, sorry, perhaps I should have continued on the original thread where it was suggested I ask Openreach - so I did!

My trouble is that I'm mow seeing conflicting information. On the one hand some houses are on a "waiting list" while I'm told there's no fibre and no plans to install (other than FTTPoD). Maybe it will come - as you say earlier - in a few months. But as I said, its only after five or six years that the other end of my current street is getting fibre. I could live for a few months with "up to 3.5Mbps" ADSL but because of my upload requirements no more.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Jul-17 10:54:21
Print Post

As its a capacity upgrade then no maybe, just a case of the teams that do the capacity upgrades adding more VDSL2 ports, or copper link cables or whatever is needed.

So very annoying but the conflicts is just how different people are trying to manage expectation, as there will be a 1000-2000 other cabinets at any one time in a similar situation and predicting the work timeline is not simple due to the many variables involved

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 29-Jul-17 11:54:46
Print Post

Cab is full. A new cabinet will required or High Density upgrade (new project). Dosnt seem either are being plsnned at present
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 29-Jul-17 12:02:21
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Cab is full. A new cabinet will required or High Density upgrade (new project). Dosnt seem either are being plsnned at present

This is more/better info than I'm privy to? I would ask privately but can't so; what's the source for your info? Should I rely on it and safely assume there won't be any fibre down this street for the foreseeable future?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 29-Jul-17 12:16:27
Print Post

It's up to you.The info is reasonable but don't ask.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to