General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JerryFn
(newbie) Sat 29-Jul-17 16:32:03
Print Post

Inadequate structure for the community

[link to this post]

We have been lobbying for Superfast in this rural area for years. Finally after three years, the structure is in place and at last some folk are seeing a vast improvement over a pathetic broadband speed. Mine averages 0.5mbs. A little better than dial up. My immediate neighbour enjoys 8mb. But he is connected to a different exchange.
We cross county boundaries, bridge postcodes and parishes, so it is a little complex. However, the main fibre optic spine has been in place for some time. New poles erected and clearly, the work has been planned for years. We are lucky to be getting FTTP. Well, one day. The delays have been legendary. Meetings in 2015, promises of a structure by 2016. We are now moving into late 2017.
I am a parish councillor and I have been pestered from one area where the take up has exceeded the supply. Now no more fibre connections are available. We are running at about 26% take up.
After lots of pestering, I find that the structure has been designed to cope with a capacity of only 20% of the population.
The locals are incensed. BT clearly have underestimated the take-up. Put in a sub standard system that is not fit for any realistic or future growth. They have taken so long that the initial survey is well out of date. The pensioners have moved on and now families occupy their properties.

Now folk, can you tell me the best place to complain.

MP? Town Council? County Council?

We have a couple of Quango organisations (I will name them in due course.) Agencies who liaise with the local councils and have negotiated the deal. They are the PR men who have taken the flack and support web sites to promote the benefits of super fast broadband. The list of lies, the misinformation has been the source of many complaints.

Where else can we go to find out more? I am thinking of putting in a freedom of information request to discover the specification requested. I also want to find out how much money has been spent promoting a system that doesn't exist.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 29-Jul-17 18:15:48
Print Post

Re: Inadequate structure for the community

[re: JerryFn] [link to this post]

If its a cabinet thats in place then another can be added. If its FTTP then additinal splitters, trays and DPs can be added. It maybe a case that such plans are already in place.
Who to lobby depends who funded it but if was gap funded by BDUK then they would be a good place to start along with the ceo of BT group and openreach.
Capacity limits are nothing new. Around 2% of fibre cabs are out of capacity at any time

Edited by witchunt (Sat 29-Jul-17 18:22:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Jul-17 18:24:32
Print Post

"I find that the structure has been designed to cope with a capacity of only 20% of the population."

Do not actually understand what is meant here? Many areas with extra 'structures' are talking about take-up rates of 39%, so clearly not common, and maybe a miscommunication in terms of what is being delivered.

Maybe the reality is that they are not rolling out to the whole area, but rather some limited part of the geography, which is a relatively common i.e. 100% coverage is often not the case, but if this is gap funded by the local authority you can find the harder to serve areas may be missed out in the initial roll-outs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JerryFn
(newbie) Sun 30-Jul-17 11:49:10
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Hopefully, they can easily add extra fibre to the system but I am amazed at the lack of planning. This is an area that has always suffered from very poor speeds. Yes, there are some who can get 8mb but a lot are suffering very poor speed. That is why we were so pleased to be served by FTTP.
Surely to future proof the system and maximise the investment they would have added enough fibre. What worries me is the time scale. We have waited three years for this to be activated. Five years since it was mooted. Will this mean another interminable delay?
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sun 30-Jul-17 12:05:45
Print Post

Are we talking about FTTP or FTTC or a mixture of both?
FTTC cabinets have a limited number of ports so to place multiple cabinets at the outset would be a big risk, but its possibly more complicated than that in your location.
To which area are you referring?

Edited by witchunt (Sun 30-Jul-17 12:08:39)

Standard User JerryFn
(newbie) Sun 30-Jul-17 15:43:02
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Our structure is a mixture of mostly FTTP and FTTC ( 2 cabinets). The problems seem to be FTTP where two folk have tried to sign up and there is not enough capacity now.
We are talking about Superfast Worctershire.

http://www.superfastworcestershire.com/cabinet-statu...

Birtsmorton
1, E2, E3**, E5, V2** & V12**

Bromsberrow
1**
** BDUK+ Structure Surveyed

Bromsberrow
V4**
** BDUK+ Structure Surveyed
July 2017
In Commissioning (This failed and has had to be repaired so "in commissioning" is as long as a piece of string)
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Jul-17 23:36:54
Print Post

Keeping your MP informed may well have a long term benefit. There are articles in the press today and yesterday about whether the government should introduce a 10 Mbps service obligation.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to