General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sonicfusion2k
(newbie) Sun 30-Jul-17 16:33:26
Print Post

Advice on slow speeds

[link to this post]

Hello all,

First time poster and looking for some advice on my slow fibre speeds. (if this isnt the place to post could a mod move it?)

Right to business, currently get my super fibre from talktalk (yes i know they suck but been with em 10 years) When we first got fibre we went from 20D / 2Up to 70D and 20 up. About a month ago i noticed a sudden drop in my download speeds. When you go from 2mb upto 7mbps and then drop back down to 2mb you get worried.

So i did the usual checks on my end, reboot router, tried turning it off for 30 mins to get a new connection, turned off all wifi and only had my pc connected. Made sure nothing was downloading and did speed tests throughout the day and still 20 down.

Contacted talktalk and they did the usual of you need to do tons of tests and they even sent me a new router even though i bought a better one. So we ran though ping tests and tracert's and they all seemed ok. Ran the tests with the talktalk router plugged directly into the test socket and then again with my router and still came back with the same ping/.trace tests and download speed was still 20.

So this is where im asking for help as talktalk really dont seem to care and say nothing is wrong with the line. The website says i should be on 40 down minimum and yet i can barely get past 25. So are talktalk throttling me or could there be an issue?
Ill add that on my router im synced at 62 down and 20 up, and worryingly it shows 20,000 error packets. Ive changed the DNS settings to goto google's and changed my MTU to 1498 after reading on a website and doing tests, the testing failed after 1470.

Any help anyone can offer to either fix anything on my end or somehow get talktalk to do something as im getting annoyed that for 3 weeks now im paying for something thats not as described and i might as well go back to DSL

Cheers!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Jul-17 16:52:25
Print Post

Re: Advice on slow speeds

[re: sonicfusion2k] [link to this post]

Without knowing how long the 20,000 error packets are over hard to advise on that aspect.

The 62 Mbps downstream and 20 Mbps upstream speeds look good, so it may be congestion thats slowing you down, are speeds better at around breakfast time each day?

The speed test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest records the graphs from the test and posting the results link can help people to identify if congestion is likely cause.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 30-Jul-17 17:21:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply!

the 20,000 packet errors is over 2 days since i last rebooted the router.

Here is the link of the test https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15014314451...

Funny enough i can get around 40down early in the morning but not always, friday morning was still 20 down. By congestion do you mean from others in the street getting fibre and causing it to drop?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 02-Aug-17 11:04:46
Print Post

Well we had an engineer round yesterday who found 3 faults from our house to the cabinet and put up a new copper cable and even did a test at the test socket and said it was reading 60 and should be at least 72.

At the minute i have the talktalk router plugged into the test socket and cant get any higher then 20. Does anyone else have any ideas why this is happening?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Aug-17 11:18:37
Print Post

The speed test shows good speeds for a second or so, but then slowing down a lot, so congestion at ISP particularly if speeds are better in the morning.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to