General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ayanami
(learned) Fri 04-Aug-17 09:44:56
Print Post

Does this mean I can get FTTP?

[link to this post]

So I decided to check my cabinet details mainly for a laugh as I already have FTTC and it's fast enough for what I need but wouldn't mind more upload speed as I do backups to Crashplan. So when I saw the results of my inquiry I noticed that FTTP On Demand has suddenly appeared :

http://imgur.com/eJMLUkb

Now my exchange was fibre enabled due to BDUK as it's a little village in the North East and wasn't expecting anything faster than that. So, does this mean I can actually order that FTTP connection or is it just a mistake on the checker?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 04-Aug-17 09:53:23
Print Post

Re: Does this mean I can get FTTP?

[re: Ayanami] [link to this post]

It looks like you can order it, but it's not cheap - say £8000 installation cost and £400 per month for 36 months
Standard User Realalemadrid
(regular) Fri 04-Aug-17 09:55:44
Print Post

Fibre on demand is not the same as WBC FTTP. It is really for business users, costs thousands to install and the monthly charges are around £300 a month for a minimum contract of 3 years. I would stay on FTTC if I were you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ayanami
(learned) Fri 04-Aug-17 10:02:36
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Aha, thanks for the explanations, guess I will stay with what I have and hope we will get G.Fast in a few years smile
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Aug-17 10:12:18
Print Post

With those VDSL speed estimates. Don't expect anything from cabinet based G.fast.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 04-Aug-17 14:45:06
Print Post

Do you know your distance from the cabinet? I'd agree with lee111s that you won't be able to order G.Fast at all with those FTTC estimates.

You would need OpenReach to install a G.Fast node considerably closer to your property. That will be many years away (if at all).
  Print Thread

Jump to