General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zhango
(regular) Thu 10-Aug-17 12:24:43
Print Post

House move

[link to this post]

Iíve got FTTC fibre broadband from BT and the fibre box is directly outside my house which works great. I will be moving home next year so will new the owner of my house automatically have the right to the fibre connection - or when I tell my provider the day Iím moving will the line be given to someone on the waiting list (there are currently no available lines) before the new house owner applies for fibre broadband?

I see the fibre box outside my home as a selling point so if the new owner can immediately take over the line I may keep it, otherwise I am thinking of ceasing the line and using 4G for broadband as I have a strong signal inside from the O2 mast. I typically only use 15GB/month and I can get 20GB/month for £20 which is only £10/month more than I pay for my mobile phone.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Aug-17 12:31:16
Print Post

Re: House move

[re: zhango] [link to this post]

You will need to give notice to your existing provider at some point and this creates the cease, the person moving in then places the order as a new provider.

If there is people on the waiting list then one of those might be able to grab the free port in the short period between it being seen as ceased and other persons provider getting their order in.

There is no mechanism for you to handover the existing FTTC port you are on to the new person.

If you cease early you increase the chance they won't be able to get a port, unless more capacity is added, but even if your cease is the same day as the new providers order you cannot guarantee they will get the port you are on now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zhango
(regular) Thu 10-Aug-17 12:59:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's a very good explanation - thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Thu 10-Aug-17 14:51:32
Print Post

Could you not just change the payment details so the new owner of the house gets the phone number and connection? Then one day change the name on the account. No need to disconnect/reconnect the house.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Aug-17 14:55:10
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Could you not just change the payment details so the new owner of the house gets the phone number and connection? Then one day change the name on the account. No need to disconnect/reconnect the house.
Some providers do not allow this e.g BT, ones that do e.g. TalkTalk will switch over to a new customer (provided they pass the credit check), but the new customer loses any existing discounts on the account so it becomes more expensive then them just joining.

Generally speaking it is best to keep these things separate, considering it reports to your credit profile, you wouldn't want to rely on someone else paying.

Think virgin allow a swapover for a fee. Not sure about others...

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 10-Aug-17 15:17:55)

Standard User zhango
(regular) Fri 11-Aug-17 09:59:50
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Thanks for suggestion but if I keep the line I need to sign a new contract next month which would commit me to perhaps 18 months so would want to migrate this account to my new house. The new provider would tell my existing provider to cancel my contract with them so I don't see how I could get involved with changing the acount details even if that were possible.
It's probably enough to advertise the house as having the fibre box directly outside and leave it to the new owner to sort out applying to get the capacity increased.
Thanks all.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Aug-17 11:00:24
Print Post

Having to commit to another 18 months is odd, most broadband contracts at the end of the minimum term switch to simple 30 day rolling contracts, i.e. can give notice at any time with no commitment beyond keep paying the monthly fee.

The new owner does nothing to apply to get capacity increased, the capacity increases happen in their own sweet merry time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 11-Aug-17 13:09:19
Print Post

As stated above, you shouldn't need to sign a new contract. Every ISP I've ever used has automatically switched to a rolling 30 day contact after the contract period. Any current discounts would likely end and you would go on to the standard price.

I personally wouldn't go down the route of trying to switch the contract to the new owner, even if possible. It leaves the possibility of mixing up credit accounts. I wouldn't risk my credit being ruined.
Standard User zhango
(regular) Sat 12-Aug-17 20:20:16
Print Post

Sorry, when I said I would 'have' to commit to a new contract I did mean in order to get a good deal. Yes, I could continue with BT but the price would increase as J0hn says to the normal Infinity 1 price of £49.99 incl line rental. I currently pay £18.50 just for Infinity 1 having already paid the line rental saver upfront.
I can join Vodafone for £25/month with free router and a £75 mastercard - again for an 18 month contract although I can move that to new house if fibre available there.

Thanks for info about capacity increase - I had assumed that after a number of customers ask for a fibre line it would trigger a decision to add more to the cabinet.

Edited by zhango (Sat 12-Aug-17 20:21:21)

Print Thread

Jump to