General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tonytraf
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 12:41:54
Print Post

Holmewood Cabinet 10

[link to this post]

I've been trying to track down when I can get upgrade to fibre. The local exchange has posters saying fibre broadband available now. BT, my current provider, says it isn't. The Openreach site says"accepting ultrafast orders now" but adds the following in a different box:
The cabinet that serves your premises is live, but your speeds aren't as fast as we'd like them to be. Your area has been reviewed and there is a plan to do further work to increase speeds via FTTP technology.
We follow a different design and build process for FTTP so you won't see updates at each stage. As soon as we have built the network and made services available, you will see an 'Accepting Orders' message.

Does anyone know what that means? The two statements conflict.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Aug-17 13:00:39
Print Post

Re: Holmewood Cabinet 10

[re: tonytraf] [link to this post]

Have never seen an exchange building with the fibre broadband posters on, plenty of green street cabinets with them on though, are you talking building or cabinet?

In your case cabinet 10 is in the grounds or just outside the telephone exchange building, but because VDSL2 speeds fall over distance the premises on that cabinet to the east of the M1 no superfast benefit is available from the cabinet and as part of the continuing roll-outs they are going to roll-out full fibre (FTTP) to you.

The words 'ultrafast accepting orders' is a bit of a misnomer as service has not been rolled out, but looks like it is planned.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Aug-17 13:17:33
Print Post

What does https://www.dslchecker.bt.com show for your telephone number?

Post a link to a saved screenshot

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tonytraf
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 18:32:11
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Hi lee111s

This what the checker returns:
Click Here
Standard User tonytraf
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 18:36:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

It's certainly on the cabinet on the other side of the road to the exchange and I thought it was on a board outside the exchange too - but maybe the car park was just full of Openreach vans with the same claim on the sides. I'll check next time I drive past. Is that important?
Standard User tonytraf
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 18:39:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oh.. btw I'm to the west of the M1
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 14-Aug-17 18:40:44
Print Post

That says you can get full FTTP - Fibre to the premises and NOT FTTPoD (on demand).

Just go to your chosen ISP and try to order. BT retail will be one ISP and they offer varying speed options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User tonytraf
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 18:47:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes I asked BT about that but they said I'd only get 1.5mb with fibre, as against the 6.5 I'm currently getting with adsl, so I was trying to discover what the problem is when Openreach appeared to be saying it was available.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Aug-17 18:51:55
Print Post

Not really

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Aug-17 18:52:58
Print Post

ISP should see this and the Openreach checker message and say 'mmm something amiss we need to follow up for you'

If they just wash their hands you need to email me with the details so can pester Openreach, I suspect that the wholesale checker is wrong.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to