General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User IamFibremad
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 20:30:09
Print Post

Recent DSLAM installation. Another box?

[link to this post]

Around my area now since 2014 weíve had FTTC but at considerably slow speeds.
Recently the last two weeks we have had Morrison Utility being in conjunction with Openreach and installed a DSLAM Cabinet at the end of my round. (The current cab 8 I am at the moment is around 0.3M away). Now thatís done and installed however still no sound of power or connections brought to it there now seems to be markings to what seems could be another cabinet being situation around just opposite the street. Take a look, see what you think!
Photos of Cab etc.

I Like Fibre.. DO you? We can be Fibre friends.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 14-Aug-17 22:00:04
Print Post

Re: Recent DSLAM installation. Another box?

[re: IamFibremad] [link to this post]

The markings indicate a footway joint box will be constructed there
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 23:26:11
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Hmm, what will this mean? As the direction of the markings are coming from the new Cab thatís just been installed. This is pretty much situated outside my premises.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Aug-17 23:41:36
Print Post

There must be another PCP (standard green cab) nearby.

What speed do you get?

At 0.3miles I'd expect around 50meg.

Edited by lee111s (Mon 14-Aug-17 23:42:20)

(newbie) Tue 15-Aug-17 00:10:32
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

0.3 is a estimate. Most likely 0.4/5 as we get 19mbps. The pcp and other FTTC Cab are in that area. This new Cab is nearer me however there is no PCP with it as there normally would. However in the plans it said it would be a AIO Cab. But from my knowledge they rarely do those.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Tue 15-Aug-17 01:02:20
Print Post

You're further from the cabinet than 0.4 miles if you only get 19Mbps.
That's a Huawei 288 DSLAM, definitely not an AIO so plans must have changed.

How far is the existing PCP/fibre cabinet from this new 1?
It may just be a 2nd cabinet if the 1st cabinet is at capacity.
Or they could be adding a PCP next to it.
Either way, it needs connecting to a PCP, usually within 50m of each other.
(newbie) Tue 15-Aug-17 01:31:53
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Having checked google maps doing a point to point. The new DSLAM is 0.4 Mile away from the current pcp feeding the DSLAM we are currently being served by. That one is right next to the PCP. So Iím not sure what their plans are to connect this new Cab, there didnít seem to be markings or plans out for a PCP as Iím sure that would be more logical to be situated first.
I was thinking maybe a second Cab however I agree on it needing to be connected to a PCP either way
This was my confusion.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Aug-17 07:03:54
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Technically, I see no reason why an FTTC could not be used as a substitute AIO, the usual linking being because of the existence of thousands of PCPs with their existing wiring to millions of individual houses etc.

The PCP itself is "passive", its only function being to separate the wires in the multi-way cable on the E-side, to individual cables on the D-side.

The E-side link from the PCP to the FTTC simply extends the E-side "directly" to the FTTC; and the FTTC to PCP link, to then be connected to the individual D-side wiring.

Until any subscriber updates to VDSL, a simple Link in the FTTC right-hand Back-Plane would be needed and the appropriate DSLAM channel not activated.

On upgrading, the FTTC would have to be opened for a Filter-Link to be substituted for the simple Link - and the remote activation of the DSLAM Channel.

-----------

In effect, this appears to be similar to an AIO situation, where some of the transferred EO lines will not have VDSL subscriptions?
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Tue 15-Aug-17 07:40:55
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I believe BT/Openreach would see many reasons why a stand alone FTTC cab can never be used as an AIO. One major one is that there has to be separation between the Fibre equipment (which requires mains voltages) and the passive PCP area with the phone lines.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Tue 15-Aug-17 07:42:18)

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Tue 15-Aug-17 07:48:29
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Technically, I see no reason why an FTTC could not be used as a substitute AIO, the usual linking being because of the existence of thousands of PCPs with their existing wiring to millions of individual houses etc.
aye probably technically possible. never seen it done though. I don't expect to see it either.
Every time someone signs up to FTTC, the run of the mill engineer needs to open the DSLAM? don't think so.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 15-Aug-17 07:52:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to