General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(regular) Tue 15-Aug-17 11:44:43
Print Post

Fibre speed

[link to this post]

300Mb is available in Telford now. 30 day cancellation if it's rubbish although my friend gets 200+ 24/7 in TF2.

I have just read the post above in another thread so rather than take it off topic i have opened this.

We get 12Mb on our connection and its fine for what we use it for (i can get fibre here), could i ask why members here chose to move to fibre?

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Tue 15-Aug-17 11:46:37)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Aug-17 11:52:39
Print Post

Re: Fibre speed

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

I have around 44 down and 14 up on FTTC. I moved because the download means I can get things faster (such as Sky on demand or software updates etc), I can upload faster (such as when I have a bulk load of photos to upload to the cloud) and it isn't much more expensive than ADSL. Plus it means I can stream things like 4K and I can have several devices doing things at the same time with no discernible impact.

If I had the option I would probably go for a faster package even though it probably wouldn't make that fundamental a difference to my life. The convenience helps.

In the end you probably have enough to do what you want at the moment. I wouldn't say it is essential you upgrade if you aren't seeing any issues but as you use more in the way of streaming and download services then the convenience could be enough to tip the balance.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Aug-17 11:59:32
Print Post

I get 2meg on adsl.

Infinity going in this week, expected speeds in the region of 55meg.

That's why laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 15-Aug-17 12:07:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

@ian72 - when i eventually move to 4K i can see it being the point where i am forced take the plunge.

@Lee - I have never had speed issues but thought that would be the main reason for people to move i never gave 4K and uploading images a thought.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Aug-17 13:03:55
Print Post

Gamers buying digital content, a game can easily be 50 to 100GB and even when you buy physical media updates in the 2 to 10GB each month are not unusual.

Also multiple people in a house e.g. 10 Mbps will run two HD streams but lives little room for other activities

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Tue 15-Aug-17 13:40:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My Son lives on youtube and my other half spends a lot of time watching videos so i can see i am going to have to move sooner than i thought i would.

Standard User 961a
(committed) Tue 15-Aug-17 13:57:43
Print Post

Why did I buy fibre?

We moved here from a long line ADSL broadband service that gradually moved from 2Mbps to 6 Mbps

When we arrived we had 7Mbps even though the exchange is only 500 metres away

When fibre arrived a year later we hesitated to change but fibre was offered at a price which made it silly to refuse especially when it became apparent that 21CN was not going to arrive. I was also aware of some on this forum who delayed switching until after their cabinet was full

We now have 48Mbps down and 8Mbps up, faultless service over 22 months, and unlimited use. New tv in main room provides 4k pictures via broadband

Haggle hard and the deals make little difference to cost of entry broadband with limited speeds and monthly use limit of as little as 10Gb
Standard User burble
(member) Tue 15-Aug-17 14:02:33
Print Post

If I was getting 14Mb on ADSL then I wouldn't want FTTC.
As it is I get around 1.4MB on ADSL, or around 4Mb on FTTC, but that's not the full story, I have a lag on FTTC this means an individual small page might load no faster (or even slower) on FTTC, but large files or video will be faster.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Aug-17 14:45:26
Print Post

ADSL here is 1-1.5Mb.

I work from home.

I occasionally need to move multi-GB snapshot files.

My daughter adores You Tube, so during peak times we average a constant 4-5Mb/s with spikes way higher.
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Wed 16-Aug-17 07:56:56
Print Post

For me the move to Fibre (when available) is because there are 4 of us in the house and whilst 5mb adsl is fine for most use - once you want to watch player etc you have to tell the kids to get off youtube etc.

My 2nd ADSL line will help as I can put the kids devices on that.

ISP's:
Zen: Around 6mb down - .8mb up
JohnLewis BB: TBA
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Virgin rates variable so not bothering with them.....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to