General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrbiggs
(newbie) Tue 15-Aug-17 13:47:27
Print Post

G.Fast loop lengths and speed

[link to this post]

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/08/openrea...

Excited to see, but..
If I plot any sensible cable route, my line is 500m to the PCP.
Currently with VDSL2 my line syncs at 61277 Kb/s and it's been on a downward trend for the last 2-3 years with increasing VDSL2 crosstalk taking effect. I had a high of circa. 71000 Kb/s once, but that didn't last long.
So I'm not very hopeful of G.Fast being an option for my line as the research I've read indicates it's only really useful to a loop length of 350m.

Anyone else likely to be in this boat when the G.Fast service launches? Not the end of the world, as my line is currently fast enough for my family's needs - just can't quite shake the feeling I'm paying a fixed cost for a FTTC service that's getting worse over time, not better.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Aug-17 14:05:09
Print Post

Re: G.Fast loop lengths and speed

[re: mrbiggs] [link to this post]

You seem to be getting pretty good rates if your line is 500m - mine is 600m and downstream is around 45Mbps.

So, I won't benefit from G.Fast and there are quite a number that won't. I think in the other G.Fast thread that MrS may have linked to some analysis he did that shows the number of cabs that would need to be enabled based on his modelling to enable certain numbers of users. In the end not everyone on a cab will benefit but if enough benefit then it is worthwhile BT upgrading. This is sweating the assets further as a stop gap to better (most likely FTTP although who knows what else the future will bring).

The service you are paying for is an up to service and degradation in line quality and increases in cross talk will lower the speeds - it is the nature of the beast and whilst you may feel you have a right to complain I will be paying the same basic costs as you and get much slower despite the fact mine has been stable at these speeds since it went in (or at least within a few megs). The costs to deliver a line are not less based on lower speeds - in most cases the lower the speed the higher the cost to deliver (because the lines will be longer and therefore require more maintenance).

Like any of these solutions some will not, for whatever reason, benefit.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Aug-17 14:31:55
Print Post

Re: G.Fast loop lengths and speed

[re: mrbiggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrbiggs:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/08/openrea...

Excited to see, but..
If I plot any sensible cable route, my line is 500m to the PCP.
Currently with VDSL2 my line syncs at 61277 Kb/s and it's been on a downward trend for the last 2-3 years with increasing VDSL2 crosstalk taking effect. I had a high of circa. 71000 Kb/s once, but that didn't last long.
So I'm not very hopeful of G.Fast being an option for my line as the research I've read indicates it's only really useful to a loop length of 350m.

Anyone else likely to be in this boat when the G.Fast service launches? Not the end of the world, as my line is currently fast enough for my family's needs - just can't quite shake the feeling I'm paying a fixed cost for a FTTC service that's getting worse over time, not better.

61277 Kb's is an excellent result for 500m.

I'm 200m from my cab and connect at a very similar sync speed. There are limited cable services in my area so FTTC take up his high, meaning cross talk is also high.

If we have a power cut the line usually connects at full speed as my TP Link modem beats the routers out the blocks.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to