General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 16-Aug-17 08:13:32
Print Post

What is G Fast?

[link to this post]

So G Fast is like FTTC but uses a different frequency to 'transmit' over copper from the "pod" to the premises? If you're very close to the pod you can have faster than FTTC broadband. Otherwise I'm not sure what the point is. Are the pods just like mini fibre cabinets so more can be placed nearer to homes? But its just to get faster speeds over copper, not increase the fibre footprint?

Sum up G Fast in a short paragraph!
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Aug-17 08:30:37
Print Post

Re: What is G Fast?

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

You've hit the nail on the head with one exception.

The pods can't (easily or cheaply) be put close to homes. They take power and fibre from the existing FTTC cabinet and because they bolt onto the PCP they require no digging or civil works, which makes it a very cheap, and quick solotuipn to provide faster speeds to those within ~350m of the cabinet. With future amendments to the technology this will increase to around 500m.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 16-Aug-17 08:35:11
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Last evening at 6pm, a engineer from BNE (Barden Network Engineering) a sub contractor for Carillion was fixing a G Fast pod to my cabinet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 16-Aug-17 08:35:39
Print Post

Ah, I thought I had read that G Fast pods could be placed in pavement chambers and therefore be closer to homes. Maybe that was for FTTP? <Goes to search for that article>
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 16-Aug-17 08:40:30
Print Post

Here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/how-broadband-works but I misread or misunderstood the pavement pods are for the future.

The future post 2020 may see smaller G.fast pods being stuck into pavement chambers or on poles, but a lot depends on how popular the faster speeds are.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Aug-17 08:51:14
Print Post

They can be, but it's considerably more expensive to run fibre to the ~4million DP's that Openreach have.

However by far, powering the nodes is the most difficult/costly part.

Openreach are working on reverse power nodes which basically means each of the customers connected to the nodes each contribute a share of the power to the node over their copper line when using the service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Aug-17 09:21:23
Print Post

Openreach has done both the cabinets and pavement pods in its trials, and the costs of getting power and fibre to the pods in pavement chambers close to homes means that for the first 10 million premises the large pods will be placed at the PCP

After that roll-out there may be more roll-out and that would most likely be a mixture of large pods and the waterproof bricks http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/09/g-fast-and-fo... and its first picture is a chamber based G.fast node.

NOTE: These metal cases may be on some poles in Northern Ireland and North Yorkshire already as they've existed for a while buy only delivering VDSL2.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Aug-17 09:56:37
Print Post

I believe they have also looked at using reverse power - taking a feed from the consumer premises to power the pods. But, I believe it is pretty complex taking power feeds from a number of households and you would need to ensure a single property could power the entire pod just in case only one has a running system at a point in time.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Aug-17 10:13:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, I mentioned that?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Aug-17 10:26:35
Print Post

They also looked at powering nodes over copper pairs from the existing power feed the VDSL2 cabinet has, and with multiple pairs could power a 16 line node at up to 1 km. Huntingdon has some using this arrangement.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to