General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Aug-17 09:39:12
Print Post

Outofreach

[link to this post]

On going saga!

My telephone line is exchange only. I am about 3km from my exchange, Tetford, Lincolnshire.

Two years ago a fibre cabinet was installed just 1km from me and I have been trying, for over two years, to get my line diverted using an organisation called 'OnLincolnshire'. They appear to not be able to help and tell me that my line was overlooked many years ago when this area was upgraded by BT, or whoever!

The line from my home is overhead across my land then descends into an underground duct alongside the highway. From this point it is about 500 metres to the new cabinet. I have established that this same duct also connects with this new FTTC cabinet so essentially it would simply be a matter of re-routing my copper wire. Ironically, this same duct carries fibre cable to a neighbouring village and my exchange, past my home and there is an appropriate manhole nearby!

I managed to contact, via email, the 'Openreach enquiry team'. Their confusing response was as follows:

"Unfortunately, we can't action your request to move cabinets. Itís not Openreach policy to do this. Our network was set up historically to deliver telephone service. So to re-arrange the network now to connect premises to nearby fibre broadband cabinets would involve considerable infrastructure work. As a company we are trying our best to get the whole country connected and are always trying new things to improve speeds for the end user. We have left exchange only lines till last. You can try our fibre team to see when your cabinet will be done"

The OE Team provided a link to their 'fibre team'. I wrote, providing all the information I have outlined above regarding my phone line and their response was thus:

"Thank you for writing in to us. Iíve spent some time looking into your query and found that your property is connected directly to the TETFORD exchange, without going through a green cabinet. This is called an Ďexchange only lineí. Unfortunately exchange only lines are one of the small number of properties we canít currently provide fibre to. Weíre working hard on various solutions to exchange only lines, however for the moment Iím afraid fibre isnít available at your location. Sorry Iím not able to give you any further details right now, however you can visit the following site and register your interest in fibre"

I registered my interest in fibre, two years ago!

In order to ameliorate the "considerable infrastructure work" involved I suggested they send me the wire, a hard hat and a hi-viz jacket and I would do it myself. I am very handy with a soldering iron and a wire-wrap tool wink

Is there any way of getting Outofreach to fulfil my minor request? Wireless is an optional alternative but very expensive around here.

Andrew
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Aug-17 09:44:17
Print Post

Re: Outofreach

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

Can you post the results of www.dslchecker.bt.com ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Aug-17 09:54:10
Print Post

Have you offered to pay their costs for a network rearrangement.

What makes things more complex is that what you want to do can impact on others, so what seems easy for one line, gets more complex once others are involved.

Lincolnshire as a project has generally been big on fixed wireless but AB Internet is in the hands of administrators at present, so might be something to keep an eye on.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 10:01:03
Print Post

At the moment Openreach's commercial rollout is not including EO lines due to cost, and as they said, are leaving them until very last.

The BDUK rollout does include many EO lines however and really that is your only hope that you are apart of that. Otherwise no matter what email you send to who, nothing's gonna happen.

Also I think it's unfair to assume "simply a matter of re-routing my copper wire" is very naive, you do not actually know for sure whether the copper line goes through the ducting you stated. You are just assuming.
Standard User GeorgeLloyd
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Aug-17 10:25:33
Print Post

That's a stock reply from the Fibre Team. I got the same word for word.

George
plusnet smile
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Aug-17 10:49:50
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

Well Mr. Tomse43, I am impressed by how much you know about me!!

While OR were busy laying the new fibre cable outside my gate I spent some time talking to their engineers who showed me this duct with my copper pair (and others) in it alongside the new fibre under an inspection cover. They also pointed out the other inspection covers all the way to the new FTTC.

I am 74 years young, well versed in telecommunication matters and gave up assuming soon after birth!!!

DSL checker tells me no more than I already know: ADSL up to 5Mbps (actually get 6.5 when the wind is in the east)

Mr Saffron, never thought of offering to pay for it! Just DIY wink And had heard about AB Internet demise.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_W (Fri 18-Aug-17 11:51:37)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Aug-17 11:18:38
Print Post

2nd thoughts. Ignore.

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 18-Aug-17 11:20:35)

Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 12:21:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrew_W:
Well Mr. Tomse43, I am impressed by how much you know about me!!

While OR were busy laying the new fibre cable outside my gate I spent some time talking to their engineers who showed me this duct with my copper pair (and others) in it alongside the new fibre under an inspection cover. They also pointed out the other inspection covers all the way to the new FTTC.

I am 74 years young, well versed in telecommunication matters and gave up assuming soon after birth!!!

DSL checker tells me no more than I already know: ADSL up to 5Mbps (actually get 6.5 when the wind is in the east)

Mr Saffron, never thought of offering to pay for it! Just DIY wink And had heard about AB Internet demise.

If you had specified that in the original post then I wouldn't of said it.

However, complications could still arise whether or not the ducting is definitely the same. From what I gather copper rearrangement is a rather skilled task.

The best information about EO lines I found was on the Scotland Superfast website here

And to pull one of the questions from there which is the exact issue you face. Obviously this is referring to the Scottish BDUK rollout but it's similar across the UK.

I am on an EO line and there is a new fibre cabinet close to my house. Can I ask for my line to be re-arranged to the new cabinet?

No. Planning, building and maintaining the telephony and broadband network is a complex operation and changes that can appear simple on the surface can have many knock on effects. So unfortunately, it is not possible for us to re-arrange the network by request, one line at a time.

Edited by tomse43 (Fri 18-Aug-17 15:55:56)

Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Aug-17 12:46:50
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

Thank you!

My copper rearrangement skills are quite good as I have installed central heating in at least four homes, so far wink

Andrew
Standard User tomse43
(newbie) Fri 18-Aug-17 12:54:23
Print Post

That is impressive actually. We had ours changed last year and it's a big job!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to