General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Aug-17 20:21:55
Print Post

Re: G.Fast Estimated Speed by BTw Checker Live

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Right now? The best answer is through external knowledge of the line, chatting to Openreach engineers, or watching for how the estimate has changed over time. Tying the estimate to actual sync speed would help, alongside monitoring of the history of the sync speed and error rates.

The same information for a number of lines would help improve guesswork into solidity.

Rather like VDSL2, to be honest, and the way we figured things out 6-7 years ago.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 23-Aug-17 09:24:10
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the checker at this stage.

There are less than 500 people on G.fast at the moment, so there's not enough live data to give realistic scenarios for speed in the checker.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Aug-17 10:39:25
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

I fully expect our table to get some regular tweaks as the year progresses, difference in 2017 compared to 2009 for VDSL2 is people are now expecting all the answers on day 1

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Aug-17 18:13:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I notice you've updated the "cumulative percentages" covered by different distances for VDSL2, which has fed into that table for G.Fast.

Some of the changes seem huge to me. For example, the 100m distance has increased by around 6%, but the 400m distance has changed from 45% to 68%.

The first change seems plausible, but the second one is huge. Just that raw number would suggest that 23% of lines have been affected by infill!

Has it really improved that much?

Or have you audited the baseline figures too? They were based on the Sagentia/Ofcom report from 2008, right?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Aug-17 18:14:22
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

+1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Aug-17 18:19:09
Print Post

Baseline was the 2008 report, and now its our figures, since things have changed so much using decade old figures makes no sense

In places like Glasgow and Edinburgh there have been a LOT of EO areas gaining cabinets where lots of people are on top of the cabinet, and the practice of often doing 1 new cabinet outside the exchange in Scottish villages is making an impact too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Aug-17 18:56:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If the entirety of Scotland was EO, and all converted to cabinet-based, and be complete, it would still affect less than 10% of lines!

I need to think of some sanity checks here. 23% feels too high a number.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sat 26-Aug-17 10:04:17
Print Post

is that a table for g.fast (I know it's estimates). Intrigued as I'm around 450m from cab - was getting about 35/7 sync on VDSL2 + HG612 but I jumped to virgin (200/20, could go higher).Good to consider what options may be around in the next few years, I'm guessing a doubling or so on fttc, but nothing like the close distance speeds
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 26-Aug-17 10:16:58
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

I doubt you will get any faster with g.fast than you did on VDSL. Current G.fast plans are going to be a big disappointment for a lot of people
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Aug-17 10:25:28
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
I doubt you will get any faster with g.fast than you did on VDSL. Current G.fast plans are going to be a big disappointment for a lot of people

People certainly need to be pragmatic. If you aren't getting full 80Mb sync due to loss you aren't going to get anything better out of technology that runs at higher frequencies.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to