General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Neil1221
(newbie) Wed 23-Aug-17 17:45:54
Print Post

Who can supply FTTP?

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I've bought a new build house and its due to be completed soon. As this is a new site postcode checkers don't work on any ISP websites so I'm not sure who could supply my internet.

I'm worried I may have shot myself in the foot. When i was buying the house i did a speed test for the area and it was shocking adsl was about 3mb and fiber about 10-20mb i also noticed the cabinet was closed for taking new fiber orders.
I did some research at the time and found Openreach would install FTTP on all new sites of over x amount of house's for free. I pointed this out to the developer and they eventually they agreed to get FTTP installed across the whole site.
I thought this was a win for the little guys but from looking online FTTP providers seems to be difficult to find and very expensive when i can find them.

Are all ISP that offer FTTC able to offer FTTP also for example sky? might be worth pointing out that the builder did not install copper wire at all so id need to use this for the phone line too.

Thanks

Neil
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Wed 23-Aug-17 17:53:59
Print Post

Re: Who can supply FTTP?

[re: Neil1221] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Neil1221:
Hi all,
I've bought a new build house and its due to be completed soon. As this is a new site postcode checkers don't work on any ISP websites so I'm not sure who could supply my internet.

I'm worried I may have shot myself in the foot. When i was buying the house i did a speed test for the area and it was shocking adsl was about 3mb and fiber about 10-20mb i also noticed the cabinet was closed for taking new fiber orders.
I did some research at the time and found Openreach would install FTTP on all new sites of over x amount of house's for free. I pointed this out to the developer and they eventually they agreed to get FTTP installed across the whole site.
I thought this was a win for the little guys but from looking online FTTP providers seems to be difficult to find and very expensive when i can find them.

Are all ISP that offer FTTC able to offer FTTP also for example sky? might be worth pointing out that the builder did not install copper wire at all so id need to use this for the phone line too.

Thanks

Neil

So you’ve got a grey duct with a black and yellow tube sticking out of it? Or has an ONT been fitted (white box with Openreach on it)?

Choices are limited. Sky and TalkTalk don’t offer service over FTTP. You can go for BT, possibly Zen and a few others. Not Plusnet as I believe you have to be an ADSL customer before they’ll order FTTP and you’ve got no way of doing that.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Wed 23-Aug-17 18:02:35
Print Post

Are all ISP that offer FTTC able to offer FTTP also for example sky?

No. They are able to, but chose not to sell it.
BT and Zen sell it. A couple others do to, but not many. Plusnet are trialling FTTP with existing customers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 18:02:52
Print Post

At the moment these are the current Service Providers that can offer a "ultrafast" connection over FTTP: https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadb...
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Aug-17 18:17:18
Print Post

As you require a voice service as well, I think only BT supply a voice service over fibre (FVA) so you'd be limited to them. As for pricing, unless you're going for the higher 220 or 330 Mbps service, the 40/10 & 80/20 Mbps services cost the same as FTTC.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 18:31:45
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Don't have to use BT, you can set up a VOIP phone service on any FTTP connection.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Aug-17 19:28:28
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
Don't have to use BT, you can set up a VOIP phone service on any FTTP connection.

Indeed the OP could use a VOIP provider such as Vonage over FTTP, as you can over any broadband connection. However the VOIP service would be dependent on the FTTP connection itself so wouldn't be much use in the event of a power cut - whereas a FVA service would continue to work using the ONT backup battery. Also a VOIP service can work out pretty expensive if you dial a lot of 0845 numbers whereas the likes of BT can offer unlimited calls to them in their anytime call plans.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Aug-17 19:28:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
As you require a voice service as well, I think only BT supply a voice service over fibre (FVA) so you'd be limited to them.

This is true, the only downside to moving your phone over to FVA is that you cannot use any of the BT online stuff like Speed Test, Check what pakages are available to you, BT Wholesale Speed Test etc when using your phone number.

Also if you are wanting to leave BT when on FTTP and phone via FVA, and move to say Zen etc, the checks will fail due to the phone number even though its still the same number as before will be unrecognized and fails to report fibre.

Well it does in my case, BT are aware of this and said they plan to resolve this but its been 9 months so far and its still broken.

So you need to be aware of this before adding you phone to FVA.

Apart from that and a few issues now and then which an email resolves quickly I think BT are not that bad for what you are paying.

So overall I am happy so far, granted I have only had FTTP for since November last year.

*** update ***
I stand corrected, Zen now checks both phone and full address when checking, so its ok with them.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 23-Aug-17 19:36:39)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Aug-17 19:34:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:

Indeed the OP could use a VOIP provider such as Vonage over FTTP, as you can over any broadband connection. However the VOIP service would be dependent on the FTTP connection itself so wouldn't be much use in the event of a power cut - whereas a FVA service would continue to work using the ONT backup battery. Also a VOIP service can work out pretty expensive if you dial a lot of 0845 numbers whereas the likes of BT can offer unlimited calls to them in their anytime call plans.

+1

Also if you had a bad copper / aluminium whatever line it might of been noisy, I know ours was due to an intermittent HR fault and a break in the outer cable due to everything used to go dead when it rained heavy, and those screeches we use to hear were very loud, now everything is on fibre including the phone the quality is a lot clearer.

So the old copper line only gets as far as the BT80 Box and that's it.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Aug-17 08:14:40
Print Post

Whose FTTP did the developer actually get installed? There are others beyond Openreach that can install FTTP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to