General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User liteucantresist
(newbie) Sat 26-Aug-17 14:20:04
Print Post

Purpose of a All In One Cabinet

[link to this post]

To those with much greater knowledge than I

40 metres from my home, a new AIO cabinet has just started to be installed. In my excitement and naivety, I contacted Openreach to ask when my property would be moved to this new cabinet.

In their response, they said that this was impossible due to the infrastructure being fixed and lines to cabinets not having the ability to be moved.

I am now very confused. There are no new houses being built or even planned near to us. Why then is an AIO cabinet going in as all of the houses in the local area are already connected to one of 2 cabinets! So my logic says that this cabinet will be empty.

I must be misunderstanding something, please help me understand.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and insight.

Kind regards

Jason
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 26-Aug-17 14:58:45
Print Post

Re: Purpose of a All In One Cabinet

[re: liteucantresist] [link to this post]

Probably a standard reply email. Without knowing the specifics its only possible to guess, but AIOs are mostly used in E/O and network rearrangements which already proves the reply to be worthless
(newbie) Sat 26-Aug-17 15:38:08
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks Witchunt

I think that it is going to be a case of wait and see what develops over the coming months.

Thanks for your response.

J

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomse43
(learned) Sat 26-Aug-17 15:53:50
Print Post

What speeds do you currently get with FTTC?

It may be that you are relatively far away from the cabinet and get speeds of less than 30mb (Or 24mb in some cases) and that the new All in one will be for increasing those speeds to be over the BDUK/Government targets.

But still it could also be for some EO lines too, so it's definitely just a wait and see what happens.
(newbie) Sat 26-Aug-17 16:14:06
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

Hi Tomse43

Yeah I'm getting no more than 20mb and that's on the current FTTC. I'm hoping that it is to create a greater capacity for upping speeds. On the kitz cabinet checker, this new cabinet (17) which is now painted on its exterior, is showing as part of a SEP which I think is Superfast Expansion Programme? But that is just from what I could piece together on the interweb! This is what got me all excited!

Thanks Tomse43, appreciated.

J
Standard User tomse43
(learned) Sat 26-Aug-17 16:18:03
Print Post

Given those details I'd say it will be to increase your fibre speeds, and yep is part of the BDUK rollout.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Aug-17 16:51:35
Print Post

SEP is indeed the name for the phase 2 BDUK programmes, and the intention remains to get more premises above the "superfast" threshold (which, for phase 1 was 24Mbps, but for phase 2 might be 30Mbps).

So the AIO cabinet will be being placed for the benefit of some premises with sub-24Mbps speeds.

Whether it actually benefits *your* premises is hard to tell, as it will depend on the details of the wiring. If your cables bypass the ones being re-arranged into the AIO, you might be out of luck. It might even depend on which properties were the very first to order phone lines in the fifties, before cabs became common.

But there's probably a greater chance that you are included.

You could try getting the information out of your BDUK team at the council.
(newbie) Sat 26-Aug-17 17:04:14
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hello WWWombat

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I do appreciate your time.

All of the local houses were built in the 70's 80's and all of the lines are underground, so I'm assuming they all had lines at least installed. There are several BT manholes, both large and small, dotted around, but I have no idea how these fit in, they have run 2 ducts into one which is about 4 metres away in the path, or even which one my line runs through. I'll see if I can trace the BDUK team at Suffolk County Council.

Again, thank you for your time.

J
  Print Thread

Jump to