General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(member) Sat 26-Aug-17 19:58:03
Print Post

Switched to faster fibre.

[link to this post]

A couple of weeks ago my parents decided to move to TalkTalk faster fibre, while they were on the phone they mentioned their phone line has been noisy for a while TT sent an engineer who checked the wiring in the house and said he could not find a problem then installed a super router [sic] ready for the switch to faster fibre, the line has been quiet for a few days but today after they were switched to FF i rang and the noise is back (it may never have gone 100% and as they do not use it often we have no way of knowing) they are also only getting 12 Mbps (they were getting 5 - 6 on ADSL) could the noise be slowing their connection or does it take a few days to sort itself out?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sat 26-Aug-17 20:02:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Aug-17 10:08:10
Print Post

Re: Switched to faster fibre.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

Without knowing the estimate at the point of sale impossible to judge if 12 Mbps from FTTC is good or bad

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sun 27-Aug-17 16:14:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Without knowing the estimate at the point of sale impossible to judge if 12 Mbps from FTTC is good or bad

Thanks i will try to find out, i checked earlier and its now down to 5 Mbps her phone line is noisy again and i am now convinced the line between her house and pole is damaged and letting moisture in it goes through tree branches which have grown over the years and it also appears to happen more when its been raining.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 27-Aug-17 16:30:59
Print Post

Is this the connection in question? http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/t/4563087-...
(member) Sun 27-Aug-17 16:42:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Is this the connection in question? http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/t/4563087-...

No that is mine (i am also switching to faster fibre) according to their letter my estimate is between 39 and 40 Mbps and a minimum guaranteed speed of 35 Mbps, is that the connection speed or the download speed?

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 27-Aug-17 16:55:27
Print Post

So what is it for this connection?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Aug-17 17:02:11
Print Post

It won't be the download speed since that varies because actual downloads are across the wider Internet, so connection speed is usually what its marked against.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sun 27-Aug-17 17:42:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
So what is it for this connection?

I am still waiting to be switched to faster fibre.

(member) Sun 27-Aug-17 17:43:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
It won't be the download speed since that varies because actual downloads are across the wider Internet, so connection speed is usually what its marked against.

So if your connection is 35 Mbps but your download speed is 10 Mbps they can just say thats the way it is.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sun 27-Aug-17 17:45:31)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 27-Aug-17 17:53:26
Print Post

I mean for your parents connection, the one in this thread?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to