General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jay_uk_80
(newbie) Wed 30-Aug-17 21:38:59
Print Post

Broadband and Phoneline supplied from different cabinets?

[link to this post]

I am currently in the process of moving from BT to Vodafone. This is becoming a long process that I may post about in a different thread. Suffice to say that at this current time my phone has been migrated but not the broadband. Today after many phone calls and an engineer visit last week, Vodafone said that the reason that broadband has not yet been migrated is because my phone line was being provided from one cabinet and the broadband from another. Is this possible?
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Aug-17 21:43:35
Print Post

Re: Broadband and Phoneline supplied from different cabinets

[re: jay_uk_80] [link to this post]

Not that I'm aware of.
Standard User troublegum
(member) Wed 30-Aug-17 21:57:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by jay_uk_80:
I am currently in the process of moving from BT to Vodafone. This is becoming a long process that I may post about in a different thread. Suffice to say that at this current time my phone has been migrated but not the broadband. Today after many phone calls and an engineer visit last week, Vodafone said that the reason that broadband has not yet been migrated is because my phone line was being provided from one cabinet and the broadband from another. Is this possible?

It sounds like the order has been messed up. The line is routed through cabinet X but for some reason the broadband circuit has been built for cabinet Y.

Possibly incorrect records on Openreach's side.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Wed 30-Aug-17 22:12:21
Print Post

Physically impossible. The PCP is only linked to the fibre cabinet that's next to it. There's no way to get broadband from a different fibre cabinet.

Check the BTW ADSL checker and see if they are showing the correct cabinet number for your property. As mentioned already it may have been ordered for the wrong cabinet, but a working service would not be possible.
Standard User jay_uk_80
(newbie) Wed 30-Aug-17 22:29:38
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

That's what I thought. The wires from my house only go to one cabinet, so how could the broadband come from another. I will let Vodafone play this one out.

A bit of back story, I have been telling them all along that there has not been a fault but a mess up with the order. Three days after the initial web order I got an email from BT saying that they were sorry that I was taking my phone line to a different provider but that I was keeping my broadband with them. BT have since checked the wholesale site and they can see no order for broadband only phone. For some reason Vodafone seem to think there is a fault with my line, hence the engineer visit. Once he connected his machine he could see that there were errors but not enough to cause a disconnect. I have always had a near 80 down and 20 up with days of uptime. Nevertheless less he changed the master socket and now there are no issues at all with the line.

All this time the broadband has remained active with BT.

Edited by jay_uk_80 (Wed 30-Aug-17 22:35:30)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Aug-17 05:59:22
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

+1

That explanation sounds very plausible , seen it a few times.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 31-Aug-17 09:50:02
Print Post

Were you an FTTC/VDSL customer with BT or an ADSL one?

Michael Chare
Standard User jay_uk_80
(newbie) Thu 31-Aug-17 10:18:31
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I am/was a VDSL customer with BT.

I have since done some research thanks to this guide. looking up the cabinet numbers that vodafone quoted me. The one she said my broadband was supplied from (i know impossible) was the cabinet that used to supply where I previously lived. Also I noticed that my postcode is supplied by two cabinets. One was only recently installed, fibre available since 2015. I think this newer cabinet was installed due to some lines being connected straight into the exchange due to the closeness of the properties to the exchange, delaying fibre roll out for those people. I suspect that I am on this cabinet and not the other as my speeds have always been full 80 down and 20 up and the exchange is 200 m away.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 31-Aug-17 12:10:26
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

An email to BT CEO, Gavin Paterson might be one way of getting the Openreach records corrected.

Michael Chare
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 31-Aug-17 13:36:50
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
+1

That explanation sounds very plausible , seen it a few times.

Yep, seen it loads of times in fact. We have a few cabinets round here with link cables in between them. That can cause confusion but any local engineer should be aware of them.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to