General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 31-Aug-17 14:52:50
Print Post

Need help with interpreting some graphs please

[link to this post]

Hi all,
Well, I've got a few problems which may not be local to me necessarily but I may as well deal with every possibility. I've recently found that my connection has packet loss in the evening (ISP is Zen), but I can't identify necessarily what's causing it other than noticing a big thread on TBB about Zen and slow single threaded download speeds (which I'm also experiencing).

Anyway, the other day I plugged in the HG612 to see what the QLN, Hlog and other such data was regarding my connection. The moment the HG612 synced I was getting error seconds pretty much every second of uptime. I'm not sure but something is funny with my D3 band, and yes I should've taken a screenshot of the SNRM graph probably prior to capping it so that the modem didn't use much of the D3 band. With all that in mind, I was wondering if maybe someone could help me with interpreting my QLN and Hlog graphs at least (SNRM included but was under capped conditions). See http://imgur.com/a/FBi7z for the graphs.

Question: From the graphs, may I have a possible fault or could this just be a matter beyond my control (e.g. external noise)? Obviously when I was interleaved this problem was pretty much being masked to some degree and I've been interleaved I believe since a day or two after FTTC was installed. I never really gave it any thought until recently when I noticed issues on the D3 band (lots of error seconds and a little fluctuation in the SNR). The homeplugs didn't help with D3 but they are no longer in use and I'm still potentially having problems with D3.

In the meantime Zen are running a continuous ping test on my connection and some other Zen connections at my exchange to identify if there's an exchange end issue (in regards to packet loss and slow single threaded download speeds), hopefully I'll get the results from that later today. ( http://i.imgur.com/TBrMlPW.png )

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ixel (Thu 31-Aug-17 14:53:15)

Standard User Ixel
(member) Sat 02-Sep-17 10:32:00
Print Post

Re: Need help with interpreting some graphs please

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

I've been in contact with Zen again who emailed me to tell me they believe there's a fault with my line. They wanted permission to run an intrusive line test but when I called I was told they already did one and the GEA test passed but something came back with 'possible copper line fault'.

I've been asked to leave the HG612 plugged into the test socket via a microfilter until next week at which point they'll get back to me and possibly ask me to switch to the DrayTek. I'm accumulating lots of error seconds (ES per hour average is 1941 downstream according to DSLstats). I'm also uploading my stats to mydslwebstats (username Ixel). My problems appear to be coming from the D3 band.

When they call me back next week they might also want me to switch back to the DrayTek. However, right now I'm fastpath and DLM will surely kick in tonight so I don't see how that'll be a fair test/comparison since I will most likely be interleaved and the underlying problem as such will be masked by the interleaving.

Any suggestions anyone please?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Sep-17 12:03:52
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Given others outside your exchange area in the Zen forums suggest there may be some Zen issues it is difficult to interpret anything i.e. throughput issues may be down to a wider backhaul issue which is nothing to with the VDSL2

Generally the less fiddling with switching between alternate hardware the better.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(member) Sat 02-Sep-17 12:09:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, I agree.

I guess first thing I need to tackle however is getting this absurd amount of error seconds coming from the D3 band sorted out, then pursue with the problem of packet loss which isn't related to my line stability/performance. I have it in the back of my mind that I might have to just switch ISP in the end and pay the potential early termination charge, if I do I'll probably go with A&A as I believe they've always had a good reputation and a good history for getting problems resolved. Hopefully it won't come to that but I'll see I guess.
  Print Thread

Jump to