General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:12:53
Print Post

Fibre not available, is available, now not...

[link to this post]

Last time I asked about Cabinet 20 on WSHAL it had a 'waiting list' for fibre. Those who know say there were no plans to add capacity.

Yesterday the BT checker and ISPs such as Zen were offering fibre to premises from that cabinet. But not today. So what happened? I guess everyone who was on the list took fibre and filled the capacity. (Or maybe not even everybody and there are still people waiting?).

Best / informed guess as to when more capacity will come on stream?
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:16:19
Print Post

Re: Fibre not available, is available, now not...

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

When I say "fibre to premises" I don't mean FTTP, just availability of FTTC fibre to premises served. I probably confused everyone trying to explain...
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:24:00
Print Post

If orders were only open for 24 hours then it's likely capacity hasn't been added yet, but that a port became free because someone cancelled their service.
It isn't impossible that capacity was added and every port was taken quickly though. Was it a 2nd cabinet being added or just additional line cards?

edit: just to add, don't assume that if only 1 port became free that someone on the waiting list would take it. AFAIK only BT Retail actually use the waiting list system, and they don't use it by default. They only tend to put users on the waiting list when orders get messed up and they miss out on a port on the cabinet, or even worse they lose their existing port (it happens).

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 01-Sep-17 16:28:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:36:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
When I say "fibre to premises" I don't mean FTTP, just availability of FTTC fibre to premises served. I probably confused everyone trying to explain...
You certainly confused me by saying fibre to premises. You should have just said FTTC or VDSL.

Are you intending to order? Do you know which ISP you want to order with? Best be quick next time you spot it wink
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:37:35
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Was it a 2nd cabinet being added or just additional line cards?

I haven't seen signs of a new cabinet so would assume additional cards. As I say, last time I asked here there were no plans for this cabinet.

AFAIK only BT Retail actually use the waiting list system

Interesting because I'd want to be ordering through Zen and assumed they could put me on the list. Otherwise I'd have to be checking for a free slot every day...
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:40:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
. You should have just said FTTC or VDSL.

Yea, I know. But all these FLAs. I'm sure I spotted a glossary here recently but can't find it when I spot one I don't know.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:41:19
Print Post

Can I ask a possibly dumb question? You've asked a couple times about capacity on your cabinet, so why didn't you order when you saw it was taking orders? Are you still under contract with your current ISP?

Edited by j0hn83 (Fri 01-Sep-17 16:42:41)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:44:02
Print Post

Otherwise I'd have to be checking for a free slot every day...
That's a good idea
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 01-Sep-17 16:45:53
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Can I ask a possibly dumb question? You've asked a couple times about capacity on your cabinet, so why didn't you order when you saw it was taking orders? Are you still under contract with your current ISP?

Fair question. Because its not my cabinet. I'm moving soon so don't yet have a line. And as its a new build there isn't one there yet.
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 01-Sep-17 17:00:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Otherwise I'd have to be checking for a free slot every day...
That's a good idea

I could catch OCD...

So is it even worth having a landline installed until a slot becomes available? Like most people I don't use the POTS other than for the VDSL. The house is ~ 2.5kms from the exchange so ADSL is expected to be pants. I could wait for a slot and order the line and VDSL at the same time.... What could possibly go wrong?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to