General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Fri 01-Sep-17 22:22:09
Print Post

dropping of TalkTalk sync speed and using CAT5e for VDSL

[link to this post]

I have a normal master socket which has a filter plugged in the front feeding a cordless phone.

inside the faceplate I have connected 2 runs of cat5e from terminals 5 - 2.

one goes to a filtered connection to my alarm.

the other goes upstairs to the router.

now I was getting some fluctuation on TalkTalk FTTC 80/20 service. it would always be around 71-76000 kbps sync, and the TPlink vr900 reckoned it could manage 85000 down 22000 up.

all was well for some months until we went on holiday. when I came back I happened to check, as I do every so often, the sync speed. it had dropped to 66999 down 19999 up. and no amount of rebooting would budge it. thought the router still says it can run 85000.

so I thought id check the wiring and this is where things get weird.

I removed an old extension cable, twisted pair, from the alarm circuit and replaced it with the cat5e mentioned above. as I found removing this from the master socket 2-5 made the router think it could do 33000 up and 89000 down.

so after wiring it in the new cat5e I thought yay. then checked the router and [censored]. it was actually worse. the up had improved the router thought it could do 27000. but the down had dropped to 76000 and the snr had dropped for down.

the sync is still stuck at 19999 up and 66999 down.

is the cat5e causing problems as I have 2 extensions going to 2 separate sockets, one which is the router the other the alarm?

would fitting a filtered faceplate and connecting one cat5e to the unfiltered and the other to the filtered fix things?

if so whats the best faceplate?

has my upstream dslam got stuck on 66999 or is TalkTalk doing some sneaky bandwidth limiting?
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Fri 01-Sep-17 23:23:21
Print Post

Re: dropping of TalkTalk sync speed and using CAT5e for VDSL

[re: cypher007] [link to this post]

has my upstream dslam got stuck on 66999 or is TalkTalk doing some sneaky bandwidth limiting?
It's not Talktalk. It's the OpenReach DLM which has banded (capped) your line.
This is usually due to too many resyncs in a short period of time.
Only a great deal of patience, or a DLM reset from a visiting OpenReach engineer can remove the banding. Unfortunately sometimes banding gets stuck, and the DLM doesn't remove it as it should.
Unless you can convince Talktalk to send out an OpenReach engineer then you'll just need to wait and hope it removes itself. Talktalk definitely won't do this unless it takes your line below the minimum guaranteed line speed. Even then it can be a struggle to get Talktalk to do anything.

No amount of resyncing the line will change anything. It may even make DLM think the line is unstable and lower the banding.
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Fri 01-Sep-17 23:32:56
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

thanks for the reply. how long can it take for the dlm to reset?

what about my wiring problems, I cant figure why an old [censored] phone cable is better than the cat5e. though one thought ive had is maybe the old cable was filtering some local noise near it that the cat5e is maybe allowing through.

also is it ok to use adsl filters? I have xf-1e type filters, were supposed to be the best in there day.

Edited by cypher007 (Fri 01-Sep-17 23:34:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Sep-17 01:33:30
Print Post

Alarm should be behind a filter, is this the case?
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Sep-17 02:18:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by cypher007:
I have a normal master socket which has a filter plugged in the front feeding a cordless phone.

inside the faceplate I have connected 2 runs of cat5e from terminals 5 - 2.

one goes to a filtered connection to my alarm.

the other goes upstairs to the router.

Since you have a cordless phone do you need a phone connection sharing the same extension socket that the router is connected to?

If a phone is not required from that extension then a filtered faceplate fitted on your master socket would probably be best: use the CAT5e cable from the unfiltered A&B terminals on the filtered faceplate to a rj11 socket for your router and use the existing alarm extension (no need for CAT5e here) terminated on the filtered faceplate's terminals 2 and 5 for the alarm.

Suitable filtered faceplates would be a Mk3 for a NTE5A master or a Mk4 for a NTE5C master socket.

Edited by 4M2 (Sat 02-Sep-17 02:29:49)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Sep-17 06:17:14
Print Post

It is more likely to be presence of the extension wiring causing a bridge tap that is making DLM respond ... this needs resolving before worrying about the DLM cap coming off.

Speak to TalkTalk.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Sep-17 11:33:01
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

Most modern Alarms have the xDSL filter built in which is why some are wired directly to the line before the xDSL Faceplate on the NTEx Master Socket.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 02-Sep-17 11:34:37)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 02-Sep-17 16:40:35
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
It is more likely to be presence of the extension wiring causing a bridge tap that is making DLM respond ... this needs resolving before worrying about the DLM cap coming off.

Speak to TalkTalk.

Absolutely It’ll be the extension wiring. An SSFP needs to be fitted. If you don’t want to plug the router into the master socket then you can run cat5 from the back of the SSFP (not the actual NTE5 master socket) to wherever you want it.

Basically your extensions need isolating from your broadband. You’re never going to get the best speed if you’ve got extension cabling of any kind, without an SSFP.

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

Most modern Alarms have the xDSL filter built in which is why some are wired directly to the line before the xDSL Faceplate on the NTEx Master Socket.

Paul

Even if they’re filtered this is still a bridge tap and would be detected by Openreach’s Brandeburg FTTC fault detection system if a FTTC line test were to be run on that line. Bridge taps will cause slower speed.

Edited by Icaras (Sat 02-Sep-17 16:43:10)

Standard User Archetype486
(newbie) Sat 02-Sep-17 22:32:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by cypher007:
thanks for the reply. how long can it take for the dlm to reset?

The banding on my line took 9 months (almost to the day) of no reboots and solid connecting to be lifted. My line is very stable and now is running at 3db.

I honestly thought it would never get lifted.
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Mon 04-Sep-17 12:50:57
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

not sure the alarm has a built in filter, its a Yale self fit. ive put one on it anyway. ive tested with nothing on the alarm end and it still affects the speed, just the cable with nothing plugged in not even a filter.

but anyway ive ordered a BT MK3 plate from ebay, so will rewire and report back.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to