General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Sun 03-Sep-17 02:01:05
Print Post

What's going on here?

[link to this post]

I've just been studying planned telecom roadworks around Basingstoke on roadworks.org (yay, everyone should do it!) in order to update my website. However I noticed something unexpected - WarwickNet (www.warwicknet.com) have planned to "deploy new superfast broadband cabinet with associated connections to BT and power" across a number of business parks areas of the town (all with different owners) in late September/early October.

Now Basingstoke don't feature on WarwickNet's "planned/coming soon" page; and more confusingly, the Hampshire Superfast Broadband SEP programme have literally just finished upgrading (with Openreach) most if not all of the cabinets WarwickNet are now looking at, and in fact Virgin Media also came along and installed their Project Lightning FTTP to one of the areas at the same time that the council funded installation was going on.

So is this a badly managed waste of public money (or a commercial response to public-funded competition); or is anyone aware of any partnership between Basingstoke & Deane, or Hampshire County Council, or the local M3 Enterprise Partnership and WarwickNet?

Thanks!

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Sep-17 06:24:00
Print Post

Re: What's going on here?

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

WarwickNet do often go to parks with no public money involved, and their cabinet is usually offering VDSL2 PLUS point to point fibre for businesses on each park

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Sep-17 07:04:49
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

Seen at least one of their cabinets on Bennett Road in Reading, in the middle of the business area.

Not sure if they use Openreach pairs to provide service, I suspect not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Sep-17 08:24:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In some cases sub loop unbundling does happen, i.e. Openreach pairs but its the full fibre options that generally draw to an area, e.g. park owner happy to let them run full fibre to the various units

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Sun 03-Sep-17 09:35:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wondering if WarwickNet have developed a G.fast style solution, or are enabling FTTP. As these locations in Basingstoke seem to have recently installed FTTC available already. WarwickNet's website at least given the impression of them coming to the rescue of parks that otherwise don't have affordable superfast broadband, and rollout on a more park-by-park basis. Here the rollout is to many disjoint areas at once, so either looks to have local government involvement, or be a new commercial trial?

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sun 03-Sep-17 10:16:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Seen at least one of their cabinets on Bennett Road in Reading, in the middle of the business area.

Not sure if they use Openreach pairs to provide service, I suspect not.

I assume based on your question that the cabinet you saw wasn’t next to an Openreach cabinet? Most of the time they do put their cabinets next to Openreach copper cabinets and then serve their customers using Openreach pairs.
  Print Thread

Jump to