General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ozil_416
(learned) Mon 04-Sep-17 18:54:34
Print Post

FTTC still not available.

[link to this post]

FTTC is still not available in my area, it feels frustrating because I have no idea when/if it will ever be available I assume it will eventually? Even though it's been several years! I have no idea who I should be talking to about it or getting more accurate information.

The thing is on the Openreach website for the 2nd time that I've noticed it's changed/gone back a step to "Field Survey" from "Build". It's shown Build twice but after I guess 2/3 months it goes back a step from Build why is this?

I'm hoping a piece of good news is I recently got information to my home regarding CommunityFibre being installed with the option to take up that service, it sounded like FTTP?

Is it completely independent of BT?

I also assume my current isp wouldn't be able to offer me a fibre service based on the installation CF does? It would have to be BT?

Any information/advice would be appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Sep-17 19:00:20
Print Post

Re: FTTC still not available.

[re: Ozil_416] [link to this post]

Depends on exactly who Community Fibre is since there is the funding option run by BT Group https://communityfibre.bt.com/

and there is at least one actual FTTP provider using the name http://www.communityfibre.co.uk/ who generally service apartments in London

So without some firm location information no one can say much more

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ozil_416
(learned) Mon 04-Sep-17 19:13:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's the second communityfibre not the one run by BT Group.

www.communityfibre.co.uk

Anyone have experience with them/the service they offer?

I was hoping to stick with my current ISP and take fibre up with them once it became available but it's looking like that won't be an option until BT sort out FTTC.

Wandsworth - Cabinet 43

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Sep-17 20:48:23
Print Post

In which case nothing at all to do with BT or Openreach...

The service works and people seem to get reasonable speeds, so its try it. It should be more reliable than FTTC and faster too if you take the right package

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ozil_416
(learned) Mon 04-Sep-17 21:44:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay, I thought so. I didn't think it had anything to do with BT/Openreach which is probably a good thing in my case due to the lack of any progress on FTTC in my area.

Their mid tier package looks good, Pretty sure it's faster but yeah hopefully more reliable. I guess it probably better overall than FTTC, Not sure how long it takes them to get everything setup, I hope not long. I mean definitely can't be longer than how long I've waited on FTTC to be setup by Openreach.

Anyone currently got this service from communityfibre.co.uk? How's the reliability? Customer service/Support? Speed consistency?
Standard User Ozil_416
(learned) Tue 05-Sep-17 18:43:34
Print Post

Also does anyone use communityfibre with their own equipment? Modem, router etc? Or can you only use the ones provided by communityfibre engineers?
  Print Thread

Jump to