General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyfr
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:11:40
Print Post

How deep a trench for FTTP?

[link to this post]

Hi

We are going to be getting FTTP in our area in December. The Openreach engineers were around yesterday and I had a chat to them regarding the route of the fibre cable. One thing I forgot to ask though was how deep I needed to dig the trench in our garden. It is 65 metres from the boundary to the house so I want to make sure I get it right.

Andyfr
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:16:33
Print Post

Re: How deep a trench for FTTP?

[re: andyfr] [link to this post]

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/property-deve...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:18:19
Print Post

Why aren't they doing the digging?

This shows 350mm below footpaths - https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/resources/sit...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyfr
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:32:02
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys!

It's a community project for the village here in the Highlands funded partly by Better Broadband Vouchers and money from the community council received from the wind farm. I think to keep the costs down the householders are responsible for digging the trench within the property. He said that they would leave me the cable for me to put in the trench.

I don't have to go under a path or drive as it's straight up the garden. I don't think that there will be any ducting as this is from the letter:

"This offer is possible due to a new method of armouring fibre optic cable which means that expensive ducting is no longer required - the cable can be buried directly in the ground."

Andyfr
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:41:45
Print Post

Keeping photos/records of where the cable goes even if armoured is important e.g. someone needs to put a soakaway in latter they know where cable is (e.g. after a house sale) or extension etc

Another fail safe could be coloured tape (you can get fibre optic cable below) a few inches higher in the soil so that any digging would hit that first (hopefully).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andyfr
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 12:48:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. I will take photos of the trench. We recently had new carpets in the house and the fitter wouldn't take the old ones away so I thought that i could cut it into strips and put it underneath and on top of the cable.

Andyfr
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:56:42
Print Post

Depending on the carpet construction, that might decompose into a horrible mess!

Using some sand to surround the cable would be better, with the warning tape on top:
http://undergroundwarningtape.co.uk/product/fiber-op...

This page is about ducting, but I guess it covers direct burial too:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/ducting.htm
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Sep-17 13:58:18
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Totally agree

Standard User andyfr
(member) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:04:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay, good point. It's wool carpet and I intend to use it to suppress weeds when I get round to doing some landscaping. Where we live there is some sand around so I can go and dig some from there, it's soft sand so I assume that would be okay.

Thanks for the link to the tape.

Andyfr
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Sep-17 14:11:05
Print Post

I think the point (from the second link) was that the sand should be a "distinctive" colour so that it is enough to stop someone digging if they see it.

So long as it stands out next to the soil, it should be fine. I don't think it will matter whether soft or sharp.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to