General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | [21] | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Nov-17 10:25:00
Print Post

Re: Cerberus Fibre Order Updates

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by indigobanana:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
But under the new pricing, the neighbour(s) would need to request for a OR survey for which they would have to pay ~ £200 if they decided not to proceed.

Not forgetting though that an initial estimate would be provided free of charge. As far as I understand it.

Are you sure about that? I thought under the new pricing OR would be getting rid of initial estimates (wrt installation costs) and would only give out installation costs after the survey. At present you're given an initial estimate (based on distance band) which is then confirmed or revised after the survey.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Fri 10-Nov-17 10:29:33
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Are you sure about that? I thought under the new pricing OR would be getting rid of initial estimates (wrt installation costs) and would only give out installation costs after the survey. At present you're given an initial estimate (based on distance band) which is then confirmed or revised after the survey.

I think so, unless I read it wrong. Sounds like charge is only if the CP has agreed the initial estimate, proceeded to planning phase and then cancelled the order.

4) Prices are subject to survey and relevant FTTP on Demand Build charges. We will provide an initial, non-binding estimate of the level of build costs. Upon confirmation by the communications provider, we will proceed with a planning phase, and establish a final firm price for the build costs which is valid for a period of thirty (30) days. At this stage, if the communications provider does not want to proceed with the Order then it is liable to pay the survey and design fee.

FTTC with BT, ~38Mbps sync, 1.2km from cab!

Edited by indigobanana (Fri 10-Nov-17 10:30:13)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Nov-17 10:37:35
Print Post

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

Thanks, so it appears under the new pricing you will still be able to get a free estimate of installation costs up front. Let's hope OR don't get snowed under with quotation requests from the Walter Mitty's of this world!

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 10-Nov-17 11:55:48
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

That would be annoying, but out of my control. For the pricing to change where the initial cost was paid by me frown but I suppose its early adopter issue.

Snake smile
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 10-Nov-17 11:57:05
Print Post

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

I should add though, the chances of anyone on my street paying for fibre is 0%. unless it comes down £30 a month, no one on the street is interested in paying over that. I am a techie, work in IT industry (work remotely) so have different reasons.

Snake smile
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Nov-17 11:59:19
Print Post

I would say you were a late adopter of a product most of us had been expecting to disappear in the near future. It is some time since BT started suggesting they were reviewing the old FTTPoD pricing model so I think most were waiting to see what they did.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 10-Nov-17 12:00:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Fair point, but still I signed up for what it was at the time (and currently is) - can't complain about the future smile

Snake smile
Standard User mumba
(learned) Fri 10-Nov-17 13:00:40
Print Post

This is probably a dumb question but I will ask it anyway.

If neighbours of us early adopters apply for fibre on demand do they then share the same physical cable that runs all the way to the cabinet or agg node that we paid money to install?

In other words will they use up our bandwidth or do OR run new lines to the telephone pole?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Nov-17 13:18:10
Print Post

[re: mumba] [link to this post]

Fibre on Demand is no different to GEA-FTTP - the only differences have been ones to do with the price you pay

Under old FoD pricing it was priced so that you did not pay the full cost, and others ordering would still have to buy a FoD product with probably slightly less pricing than the first person.

Under new FoD pricing, an allowance is made for those the FoD order in theory makes, but anyone else ordering after the FoD customer is live gets access to the standard GEA-FTTP install pricing i.e. no FoD supplement needed.

In terms of bandwidth, go read on how GPON works i.e. 2.5 Gbps shared between a split of users, in the Openreach network that's 32 customers, some other GPON providers use the maximum of 128. Point to point fibre gives you dedicated bandwidth but at a slightly higher install cost and is what Gigaclear use currently.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 10-Nov-17 13:26:41
Print Post

[re: mumba] [link to this post]

The CBT/DP on my polenhas 8 ports serve red by a single fibre. Since fibre can do 40GB depending on the connection point on each side, Iím guessing itís the same fibre. Either way I canít inagine our bandwidth getting split. That will happen from the exchange onwards

Snake smile
Pages in this thread: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | [21] | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to