General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | [22] | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Fri 10-Nov-17 14:12:45
Print Post

Re: Cerberus Fibre Order Updates

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Under new FoD pricing, an allowance is made for those the FoD order in theory makes, but anyone else ordering after the FoD customer is live gets access to the standard GEA-FTTP install pricing i.e. no FoD supplement needed.

I wonder if neighbours would automatically get GEA-FTTP option showing up or they would still have to order FoD without the upfront build cost?

FTTC with BT, ~38Mbps sync, 1.2km from cab!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Nov-17 14:21:09
Print Post

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

Under the new system it would show up as GEA-FTTP for all those on the manifold(s) that have been connected up.

i.e. no need to find a FoD provider at all

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 10-Nov-17 14:49:11
Print Post

The engineer told me that, they were suppose to put a four port cbt but they only had 8 ports so that's what they used. So I am not sure the checker would update to say you can get FTTP because it depends on how many ports are available. I still think it will be considered FTTPoD.

I guess an ISP could answer the question. The way I am reading your post, some people here might as well wait for someone on their street to order then order normal FTTP, wouldn't that just be insane?

Snake smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Nov-17 15:42:42
Print Post

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

Despite the new u/g FTTP splitter not being very far from some properties on my street (IV2 5FJ), they still can only get FTTPoD, not 'native' FTTP as is the case for my home. The splitter is located in this BT manhole

https://goo.gl/ofmcQu

The BT/OR checker may one day show native FTTP availability for all the 15 odd houses on my street, but who knows if/when...

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 10-Nov-17 16:43:34
Print Post

Normal setup is for Openreach to put in a 128 line splitter (4 trays, each one with a fibre back to the exchange and capable of serving 32 premises). They normally only have one tray live at a time and when that fills up, the next tray is prepared.

As Zarjaz deals with this stuff on a daily basis, I'm sure he can tell you what he sees now.

It's very likely that Openreach put in the infrastructure solely for you. The actual fibre cables are cheap, it's just the man hours that are the main cost factor. Even though you're the one footing the bill for building the network, it makes sense for Openreach to build the network for multiple premises.

Edited by AndyHCZ (Fri 10-Nov-17 16:43:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Nov-17 17:55:43
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Is that splitter/manifold present due to you having ordered FoD?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Nov-17 17:58:42
Print Post

Have exchanged emails with Openreach, and the question of what would happen like this is one I posed, and once I get chance will add to FAQ/news.

So if 1 person orders FoD and another 6 premises on same manifold/pon they subsequently be able to order native FTTP>

NOTE: This is not what happens today, but will happen once the new FoD pricing goes live. Remember with the new FoD system the montly price is the same as the native FTTP products.

So yes people could sit it out and wait for a neighbour to jump first, or you could just wait until Openreach do it commercially anyway, the question is how long do you want to wait.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Nov-17 18:37:08
Print Post

Is that splitter/manifold present due to you having ordered FoD?

Correct, it was installed as part of my FoD install (no native fttp in my area)

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Nov-17 18:49:15
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In which case that is to be expected as that is how the FoD system operates currently.

Standard User bellamob
(newbie) Fri 10-Nov-17 23:55:05
Print Post

So if 1 person orders FoD and another 6 premises on same manifold/pon they subsequently be able to order native FTTP>

Does this mean DSLChecker via BTw will show up native FTTP automatically?
Pages in this thread: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | [22] | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to