General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | [23] | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Nov-17 12:13:48
Print Post

Re: Cerberus Fibre Order Updates

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Snake:
The CBT/DP on my polenhas 8 ports serve red by a single fibre. Since fibre can do 40GB depending on the connection point on each side, Iím guessing itís the same fibre. Either way I canít inagine our bandwidth getting split. That will happen from the exchange onwards

Is this CBT/DP box a secondary splitter? Or "just" a connection DP?

Either way, your bandwidth is still likely to be split further ... at least when more circuits are installed.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 11-Nov-17 12:18:17
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Well the Openreach engineers told me, Iím the only person this fibre all the way to aggregation node. From there to the exchange itís shared but still Iím reasonably postive that I wonít be hampered by contention ragioy

Snake smile
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Nov-17 12:40:12
Print Post

When talking "shared" are you talking about users all sharing the bandwidth on a PON? Or where a strand of fibre happens to share the same physical space with other strands inside a cable?

It is highly unlikely, nay impossible, to start sharing the PON or bandwidth from the aggregation node up to the exchange... that's just the point at which the one strand of fibre from the splitter devices gets spliced into the fibre spine. Your PON's strand will be sharing cable with the strands serving other PONs.

All of your sharing of bandwidth happens within the splitter device - 32 strands of fibre at one side (to 32 individual properties) meeting 1 strand of fibre on the other side (to the exchange, through the fibre spine). This splitter device defines the PON, and is found somewhere between the AG node and your house.

The layout can be seen at this point in this Openreach video:
https://youtu.be/ouSB_3c_fm8?t=88

The 32 properties do not have to be on the same DP, or installed at the same time.

Yes, you are likely to be the only user connected to the splitter node at first, so getting the full bandwidth uncontended. But, in time, 31 others will join you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 11-Nov-17 12:45:44
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thatís true in time more will join, but Iím sure thatís going to be a while smile

Snake smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Nov-17 13:02:39
Print Post

[re: bellamob] [link to this post]

Once the new system is in place yes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Nov-17 13:30:07
Print Post

FWIW I'm getting ~ 310/30 Mbps day & night on FluidOne FTTPoD....for how long I'm going to be this lucky I've no idea smile No reason why you can't as well provided there aren't any bandwidth issues at your exchange and Cerberus have plenty of capacity on their network.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 11-Nov-17 13:55:39
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I am sure I will hit the max possible also. The simple reason is, I am assuming from the aggregation node to the exchange the exchange there isn't a bandwidth limitation (i.e port bandwidth) if there is I am assuming its something high like 10gb or higher. Once at the exchange the port is most likely patched/routed to Cerberus network. Assuming they have purchase either a port or bandwidth quota which would be either 1gig or higher.

Cerberus isn't your run of the mill ISP so I don't expect there to be many people in my area with them.

Currently I am with Zen, and I get max speed of 65mb download and 17mb upload. I have never seen this go down during any time of the day.

Snake smile
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 11-Nov-17 13:56:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This will be really interesting, ill have my neighbor check in March and see if it indeed does and what prices they get quoted.

Snake smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Nov-17 14:26:50
Print Post

If its GPON then its 2.5 Gbps shared 32 ways that you share potentially. If someone has stumped for a 500 or 1 Gbps product then XGPON with 10 Gbps shared will be the norm - hence its higher costs due to need for better optics at each end.

At the exchange handover node likely to be a 10 Gbps handover, but lots of older areas are on 1 Gbps - so was more of a bottleneck than the PON itself

Remember the aggregation is totally passive and is just a light prism splitter

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Nov-17 14:27:47
Print Post

Might want to have a word with the Government then, since they want millions and millions of full fibre rolled out, because apparently millions want it.

Pages in this thread: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | [23] | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to