General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | [30] | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ruscky
(newbie) Fri 05-Jan-18 20:41:14
Print Post

Re: Cerberus Fibre Order Updates

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

Hi all, I finally pulled the trigger on with Cerberus after a lot of research.

Hopefully it will be good. I'm at Band B so hopefully installation will not be an issue.

Decided not to wait for the pricing change, as it could potentially end up more expensive for installation and I have waited long enough.

Its a waiting game now but hopefully all goes well.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 05-Jan-18 20:43:13
Print Post

[re: Ruscky] [link to this post]

Welcome to the gang. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Cerberus FTTPoD
Standard User mumba
(learned) Sat 06-Jan-18 11:32:32
Print Post

Welcome to the club Ruscky,

I'm still waiting for my installation to complete because OR are taking their time to fix the 18 blocked ducts. smile

You'll probably be live before me.

I hope for your sake, Snake's and mine that you are correct that the new pricing will not be better for the 3 of us.

Good luck with your survey and hopefully your install goes smoothly without having to deal with OR infrastructure that is 40 years old. smile

@Snake do you have any updates on the stability of your line, speeds at peak hours, and latency?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 06-Jan-18 13:00:58
Print Post

[re: mumba] [link to this post]

Hey Mumba,

Basically what I have seen as follows.

Wifi can suck hard!! I have a Unifi setup and until i forced everything to 5Ghz, my iphone etc.. were rarely going over 120Mb, then once I changed that I can see they can hit 200/250 no problem using the speedtest app.

When testing against wired connection, I can easily get over 240/280Mb, I would say 80% of the day. to get over 300/315 it has to be either during the day, or late in the evening.

Note: The kids aren't at home during those hours and telling them and the wife to stop stream so I can do my test's just get's ignored smile

I can say though when no one is around at home, you can easily get to the 300Mb, now whether it can be pushed to 330Mb is hard to say because of overheads etc.. plus I think I need to upgrade my PFSense box, which I will be doing in the next few months (As soon as PFsense fully supports the atom C3000).

Cerberus FTTPoD
Standard User Ruscky
(newbie) Sat 06-Jan-18 15:49:35
Print Post

[re: mumba] [link to this post]

Thanks for the welcome appreciate it.

I don't think the pricing will change all that much, what might happen though is due to shorter term contracts the demand could go up making setup times much much longer. Also I don't think alot of ISPs know what their strategy on pricing will be as the new laws only coming in Feb so it might be well into next Oct before ISP have anything to offer customers.

Sanke do you have your own router or did you request one from them? I'm not sure what setup to go for yet. I currently have Zen along with their FritZ box. I'm considering getting a decent new router.

It seems like you're getting decent speeds, hopefully I can get something close to 330mb but living in Scotland not holing my breath for low ping and constant high speeds.

Mumba I cant wait to get it all installed but the servery is still a couple weeks away I'm guessing. I spoke to a very nice guy called Martin he was very helpful so far so will see how it all develops but hoping for a smooth experience like Snake had. I have read the entire thread before taking the plunge including the fluid one thread.

If you guys have any advice on router/networking setups that would be great. My current setup is a FritZ box feeding a 1Gbps 12slot Netgear switch and I also have google wifi feeding of the router.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jan-18 16:27:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ruscky:
I don't think the pricing will change all that much, what might happen though is due to shorter term contracts the demand could go up making setup times much much longer. Also I don't think alot of ISPs know what their strategy on pricing will be as the new laws only coming in Feb so it might be well into next Oct before ISP have anything to offer customers.

I believe under the new pricing structure the overall cost of ownership will remain the same, which points to increased installation costs in order to compensate for the lower monthly service charges and shorter minimum term. Unless someone has a crystal bowl no one can say for certain the take up numbers under the new pricing scheme.

living in Scotland not holing my breath for low ping and constant high speeds.

I live in Inverness and whilst I will never get pings in the single digits due to the laws of physics, I'm getting ~ 310/29 Mbps on Fluidone FTTPoD in speedtests day & night. Don't think I've seen the speed drop below 300 Mbps in the 6 months or so I've had the service. Obviously you'll be on a different ISP (network) but don't be surprised if you're hitting > 300 Mbps day & night.

A speedtest just now:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6941759976

If you guys have any advice on router/networking setups that would be great. My current setup is a FritZ box feeding a 1Gbps 12slot Netgear switch and I also have google wifi feeding of the router.

I have the Netgear R9000 (X10) and its brilliant. I'm also using it as a Plex Server and route OpenVPN traffic over it (using Kong's DD-WRT firmware) which makes the investment less eye watering. If you're not bothered about its advanced features then I would recommend the Netgear R7800 or Synology RT2600AC for significantly less money as they have very similar performance to the X10 wrt routing & wifi performance.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sat 06-Jan-18 20:33:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I have the Netgear R9000 (X10) and its brilliant. I'm also using it as a Plex Server and route OpenVPN traffic over it (using Kong's DD-WRT firmware) which makes the investment less eye watering. If you're not bothered about its advanced features then I would recommend the Netgear R7800 or Synology RT2600AC for significantly less money as they have very similar performance to the X10 wrt routing & wifi performance.

Given that the OP has Google Wifi I suspect that an all-in-one router isn't what they're after. In fact I've never understood the market for devices such as the R9000 (how much!) as you'd be far better off with a decent router and then access points as required to get good wifi coverage. Much cheaper and better performance - An integrated device is always going to be a compromise no matter how much you spend on it...

I'd wait and see how the Fritzbox/Google Wifi setup performs and then see what, if anything, needs changing.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP

Edited by ferretuk (Sat 06-Jan-18 20:46:41)

Standard User Ruscky
(newbie) Sat 06-Jan-18 20:42:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I live in Dunfermline so don't think my ping will be that much lower then.

Do you mind me asking why you went with FluidOne and not Cerberus, I know it wont make any difference to me since I've already signed up with Cerberus but just curious, their pricing differences are very interesting.

I will have a look at that Netgear looks interesting, budget not really a concern as long as its the right one. I'm thinking of adding a separate Synology DS918+ NAS box as well
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sat 06-Jan-18 21:01:26
Print Post

If your Fritzbox is lacking when you get up and running, look at the Ubiquiti range of routers or Microtik Routerboards for very versatile and cost effective routing. For Wifi, stick with separate units - If your Google Wifi doesn't cut it, look at other access points instead.

I don't have FTTP(oD) so can't vouch for throughput but my ER-Lite router and Unifi AC-Lite WAP perform very well.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jan-18 21:36:34
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
access points as required to get good wifi coverage. Much cheaper and better performance -

I would argue getting a router with excellent wifi coverage could minimize or remove the need to buy additional wifi points. Google wifi can cost up to 229 notes (hardly cheap) whilst a Netgear R7800 which is designed for large homes, is 150 notes or less.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Pages in this thread: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | [30] | 31 | 32 | 33 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to