General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | [31] | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jan-18 21:49:16
Print Post

Re: Cerberus Fibre Order Updates

[re: Ruscky] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ruscky:
Do you mind me asking why you went with FluidOne and not Cerberus, I know it wont make any difference to me since I've already signed up with Cerberus but just curious, their pricing differences are very interesting.

When I placed my order with FluidOne in Feb 2017, they were the only isp at the time offering the service. AFAIK Cerberus started offering FoD around July 2017. I was originally interested in a leased line from FluidOne but they managed to ''convince'' Openreach to enable my exchange for FoD. My FoD line performs as well as a leased line wrt speeds but obviously it doesn't come with the same SLAs or speed guarantees.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 06-Jan-18 22:04:31
Print Post

[re: Ruscky] [link to this post]

I got a a mini HP N40L microserver running PFSense. I would always recommend PFsense over anything else. Just get the hardware you want (MiniITX etc..)

Cerberus FTTPoD
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Mon 08-Jan-18 00:24:31
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I would recommend the Unifi access points over anything else.

Cerberus FTTPoD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jan-18 13:21:17
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Also on Virgin, same IP i've had for 11 months, and £38 a month for 380ish Mb down and 21Mb up.

BT really are playing catch up... I feel Virgin are gearing up to keep raise the bar again.

Edited by BuckleZ (Mon 08-Jan-18 13:28:05)

Standard User jimbot
(newbie) Mon 08-Jan-18 17:48:27
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Hi I'm new on here, so apologies for the thread hijack.

I'm in a rural area with FTTC which was more than adequate but this has dropped to little better than ADSL in the last couple of months (4.5 down .4 up). I think this could be down to the state of the copper from cabinet to pole or pole to house.

Therefore I'm looking at both FluidOne and Cerberus - they were suggested by my account handler at Zen as Zen do not offer FTTPod.

But what has crossed my mind is I believe that all our cabling is still above ground, so although FTTPod is available to me, how does that work in practical terms?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Jan-18 18:06:19
Print Post

[re: jimbot] [link to this post]

Fibre can and is provided overhead too.

Standard User raesene
(learned) Mon 08-Jan-18 20:58:38
Print Post

[re: jimbot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jimbot:
But what has crossed my mind is I believe that all our cabling is still above ground, so although FTTPod is available to me, how does that work in practical terms?

I can give some info.on that as I'm in a similar setup (all overground cabling for me). Openreach ran fibre to me via overhead poles from the aggregegation node to my house. It basically comes in to the property just like an ordinary analog line.

The only difference is that you get some hardware on the poles for the fibre joints.
Standard User raesene
(learned) Mon 08-Jan-18 21:01:03
Print Post

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

I'd second that, I do like the Unifi access points. I ended up replacing the security gateway though.

Went with an HP microserver running Linux and did iptables rules myself. I wanted to run ntop-ng which I really like for network monitoring and that seemed easiest on vanilla linux. All seems to be working ok so far.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Mon 08-Jan-18 21:28:00
Print Post

[re: raesene] [link to this post]

You should just use pfsense it just sooooo goood.

Usg is getting there (I test it every, now and then)

Cerberus FTTPoD
Standard User mumba
(learned) Mon 08-Jan-18 23:55:50
Print Post

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

Hi Snake,

Thanks for all the detailed updates on your speeds.

I've been checking roadworks.org tonight and it seems that BT have added a whole bunch of new work items which means progress is being made. The latest one has an end date of 23 Jan. I'm not sure if any other roadwork items still have to be submitted by BT

What's interesting though, and I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to provide some insights, is that it looks like BT are connecting me to a cabinet that is much further away from my house.

The dslchecker has always indicated to me that my line is connected to cabinet 16 which is around 650m away from my house but the roadworks are showing work is being done from cabinet 13 which makes the total distance about 1km. I am being charged for a 1km band but why couldn't OR just connect me to the closer cabinet and save me costs?

Also if the dslchecker shows cabinet 16 doesn't that mean I am connected to 16 currently or can that checker be wrong?

Also just as an FYI my fibre is being run underground until the pole by my house and then it goes overhead like a normal tel cable so as mentioned above fibre can easily be run overhead and underground. OR have already run the overhead fibre into my house and have left a long fibre coil hanging in my comms cupboard.
Pages in this thread: << 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | [31] | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to