General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Sep-17 06:02:41
Print Post

Re: Cerberus Fibre Order Updates

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

It is highly unlikely that the pole erection team will be doing the manifold at the same time.

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 09:01:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I was hoping the pole team and the fibre team with corordinate the work to reduce the disruption etc...

Snake smile
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 11:57:00
Print Post

Update 29 September:

Hi All,

So the OR surveyor arrived this morning 10 mins before our scheduled appointment. A really nice and friendly man.

Anyway he was more of an expert on the external running of the fibre but I showed him the internal location of where I want the fibre to terminate in my existing cupboard in the garage.

He said that he doesn't see any problems running the fibre to the side of my house and in through the external wall by my garage. They are basically going to run the fibre from the pole suspended in the air like my existing copper cable, and then run the fibre along my roof drains and pipes to hide it. I was worried that fibre can't bend etc but he said it's no problem for my run. So no digging up driveways or anything for me.

Also what's interesting is he said he'll recommend they replace my existing copper cable with a new dual cable that has both fibre and copper so that there is only one cable hanging above my driveway rather than 2.

As I mentioned he wasn't that knowledgeable on the internal equipment and internal socket.

I want to replace my existing FTTC openreach modem with the Fibre ONT one and also place the fibre socket next to the existing BT copper socket. However I don't know what the dimensions of the ONT and fibre socket are.

Do any of you know?

Also do you guys know if you can cancel your line rental for the existing copper line once you get the fibre line i.e. will BT treat them as one line?

Lastly I asked the surveyor what sort of times they are experiencing from survey to final installation and he said around 3 months.

Obviously that is dependant on physical issues like blocked ducts or needing to close roads etc. He told me he doesn't think there is any major issue with running the fibre to my tel pole but he would let me know if he discovers one.

Will keep you all updated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Sep-17 12:30:29
Print Post

[re: mumba] [link to this post]

Based on my measurements, dimensions of my 4 port ONT are 20cm x 15cm (length x height)

http://postimg.org/image/5iuymdvpx/

http://postimg.org/image/5wwalzfth/

The copper line remains totally independent of your FTTP line. I'm getting a second (backup) VOIP landline through Sipgate and test this out for a few months for reliability & voice quality. If its as good as my copper TalkTalk line then i will cancel the copper and go VOIP only for voice.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 29-Sep-17 13:58:31
Print Post

Plenty of info in here https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/resources/sit...
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:06:07
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

thanks for all the info guys.

baby_frogmella from your photos it doesn't look like you have a BBU. Did OR not mandate that you needed one?

It's nonsensical that they do because voice is being provided over the fibre but apparently in their rules they have to install a BBU. Maybe in practice they don't bother with a BBU for FTTPoD.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:31:20
Print Post

I've been reading the thread with interest.

Did fttp show on the dsl checker that it was available to you? Or did you decide to look around for a company that would bring fttp to your house?

Either way I'm glad your install is going well smile

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:42:52
Print Post

FVA is not supported with FoD at the moment.

The BBU comes with all FTTP/FoD installations, even though it only work with FVA in the event of a power outage.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:45:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by mumba:
Also do you guys know if you can cancel your line rental for the existing copper line once you get the fibre line i.e. will BT treat them as one line?

FoD is completely independent of an existing copper service, so you can get rid of your copper line and set up some form of VoIP if you wish.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:53:38
Print Post

Openreach bod did offer to install the BBU, however I politely declined as I wanted a tidier install. I didnít see the point of getting it installed as I canít use any FVA service for 3 years at least. However you may be (un)lucky and get the newer ONT which has a BBU built-in...itís bigger though! The newer versions are due to installed from October onwards.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to