General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 08-Sep-17 12:20:46
Print Post

Cerberus Fibre Order Updates

[link to this post]

Created a new post, as the other one was losing focus.

I will post updates here:

Order has been placed.
Paid initial setup fee on credit card
This is a business package, so all prices are ex VAT.

Cerberus does have a AUP, but it DOES NOT state any limits. Just that they will warn you when they believe you are being excessive. I stated, my max download amount was 4TB in a given month, and was told that's fine, considering if you really hammered a 330mb line you could download 100TB, so 4TB is around 4% of possible total download.

Snake smile

Edited by Snake (Fri 08-Sep-17 14:59:26)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Sep-17 17:23:17
Print Post

Re: Cerberus Fibre Order Updates

[re: Snake] [link to this post]

I don't like the sound of AUP. They can change it whatever they like. They might say it ok for u to downloading 4TB no problem. But later on they might warned you do not excessive 750GB only time will tell. If they lied to u, can you get out of it? I doubt it.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 08-Sep-17 17:28:49
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

All ISP's will have some sort of AUP. Please don't reply to this thread use the other thread. You are just making unwanted noise and causing confusion.

Snake smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Sep-17 17:33:19
Print Post

This is a free forum to anyone to post or reply. There is nothing stopped me or prevent me of posting here. So u can't tell me what to do. Only MrSaffron can.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Fri 08-Sep-17 17:35:17
Print Post

As much as you have a point, Max, I think for Snake to kindly ask you to use the other thread, isn't worth complaining over. smile

William Grimsley.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 08-Sep-17 17:44:11
Print Post

I'm not saying you can't post. All I said was that I wanted this thread to be about updates and not debates over what you or I think is right.

I don't work for Cerberus, and if your not happy with AUP or any other policy that's fine. No one is forcing you to sign up. I just want post updates about the install here. So please if you want to discuss more about policies, contracts etc... use the other thread, so people can get updates here without having to go through an entire thread.

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Sep-17 17:49:49
Print Post

Ok, good luck. I look forward to see updated post from your Cerberus FTTPoD installation and updated from Openreach survey.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sun 17-Sep-17 16:27:33
Print Post

Just a quick update for anyone following:

I have been out of the country and so haven't really been chasing Cerberus. However they did try to call me and leave messages. They also followed up via email to let me know they are waiting on Openreach to schedule and survey. Openreach seem to be very busy, but they hope to have a date soon.

Snake smile
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Wed 20-Sep-17 20:04:15
Print Post

Update: 20/09/2017

Yesterday Cerberus informed me that Openreach will be doing an external survey to figure out how to get the Fibre service to my premises. Since their is no existing network (FTTP) in place. This should be done by the end of this week with an update provided on 25th of September.

The surveyor may ask to see the inside of the property, however the internal survey could be a separate survey depending on how much work they believe they have to externally. So in the event the external work is going to cost a lot they may just go back with an update stating excess charges and only do internal survey once they know the customer is going ahead and happy with the excess charges.

Snake smile
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 20-Sep-17 22:29:55
Print Post

If you already have ductwork in place to your property, then I would be surprised if there are ECCs involved.

You stated in the other thread that you're in Band B (200-399m from the agg node), so you should be well within the £1,350 threshold before ECCs come into play.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Sep-17 22:31:44
Print Post

I be very surprise if Openreach survey gonna cost u a bomb bill of more than £2,000 to cancel the order. Your probably end up Band C or D instead of B.

Edited by adslmax (Wed 20-Sep-17 22:32:37)

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Wed 20-Sep-17 22:32:11
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

I think thatís what they are going to confirm. The aggregation node is close, however duct work etc... needs to be confirmed. I have a pole right outside my house, so I am guessing thatís probably the path it will take.

Snake smile
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Wed 20-Sep-17 22:33:04
Print Post

You donít pay the £2400 (inc VAT) if the survey has excess charges.

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Sep-17 22:36:13
Print Post

so u took first order from cerberus 8th September, openreach doing survey on the 25th September. Look like they speedy it up with your order to get FTTPoD activation date around December before xmas day!
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Wed 20-Sep-17 22:40:10
Print Post

The default time is 60/90 days to install, so yeah it could be December, but I was told this by them up front. They said the fastest they think it could be done is 60 days, but it all comes down to the survey.

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Sep-17 22:42:51
Print Post

Wish u all the best of luck. Remember post back each photos of the work by openreach, modem, router and post back speedtest (morning, afternoon and evening.
Standard User gigaplant
(newbie) Thu 21-Sep-17 07:38:58
Print Post

Same here, actively following as I'm tempted by Cerberus's FTTP on demand offer, I believe there's ducting under my house as there was a piece of string there ready for Openreach to install the cable when we moved in around 6 years ago, waiting to see how it goes on here before ordering myself.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Sep-17 10:43:13
Print Post

[re: gigaplant] [link to this post]

How can you tell there is ducting there? I got a footpath label BT under it just a few step out of my house. Can Openreach installing there?
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 21-Sep-17 10:51:16
Print Post

Because they can't pull cable through the ground with string. There must be ducting if they were pulling cables with string.
Sounds like a new property.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Sep-17 11:26:52
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

This the one footpath label BT just outside of my house. Please note: this is not a picture of mine, just example one

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/news/7389-open...
Standard User gigaplant
(newbie) Thu 21-Sep-17 13:04:52
Print Post

The duct comes out of the ground and the copper goes down it, it's a fairly new property.
Standard User gigaplant
(newbie) Thu 21-Sep-17 13:11:47
Print Post

Spoke to cerberus today myself, AUP / Fair usage policy doesn't have a cap, as in no GB / TB limits and their low prices is due to being the first to have a new deal with Openreach which also doesn't charge traffic usage unlike the older £300 deal, other companies may end up having the same lower priced deal later on. Can use your own router with their FTTP on demand as well.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 21-Sep-17 13:46:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by gigaplant:
Spoke to cerberus today myself, AUP / Fair usage policy doesn't have a cap, as in no GB / TB limits and their low prices is due to being the first to have a new deal with Openreach which also doesn't charge traffic usage unlike the older £300 deal, other companies may end up having the same lower priced deal later on. Can use your own router with their FTTP on demand as well.

This is complete nonsense.

Firstly, Openreach purely provides the connection from the end user's premises to the local handover exchange, there is no charge for data with Openreach.

Secondly, Openreach does not offer special 'deals' to new individual CPs. They are legally not allowed to do this as it would breach their equivalence covenant.
Standard User Bill100
(learned) Thu 21-Sep-17 16:17:15
Print Post

There seems to be a disconnect between the Sales team and underlying reality. I would guess they are using backhaul from some LLU operator rather than BT wholesale.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Thu 21-Sep-17 16:37:14
Print Post

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

Can we keep this thread for updates of install only please smile

Happy for this discussion to continue on the other thread.

Snake smile
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Thu 21-Sep-17 23:42:54
Print Post

I placed an order with Cerberus on 5 September. The latest update I have is that OR are waiting to schedule a surveyor to do the survey. The good news is that have processed my order.

I haven't been given a survey date yet. I live in London so I guess it will depend on the availability of surveyors in my area.

I am in Band E so they are going to have a long run of cable to install. I'm hoping there are no complications with getting fibre to the tel phone pole that is right by my driveway. I will then need to speak to them about how I get the fibre to my house either under my drive way or in the air like my copper line is currently.

I'll post my updates in this forum for you guys.

Edited by mumba (Thu 21-Sep-17 23:43:33)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Sep-17 23:43:37
Print Post

lol
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Fri 22-Sep-17 15:31:34
Print Post

[re: mumba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mumba:
The latest update I have is that OR are waiting to schedule a surveyor to do the survey.
...snip...
I am in Band E so they are going to have a long run of cable

Not sure how this all works but how do you know you are in Band E if the survey hasn't yet been done?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Sep-17 15:54:28
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Bands are based on distance to node. Standard pricing based on distance and then if there are "excess costs" (shown in the survey) then these would be in addition to the banded install costs.
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Fri 22-Sep-17 18:44:30
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

As mentioned above when you place your order they calculate what band you are in from your phone number and the estimated distance your current line is from the node.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Tue 26-Sep-17 14:37:43
Print Post

Update: 26th September 2017

Got a Openreach Surveyor, he will now be visiting my property tomorrow. I am guessing the external Survey was done, so now they just want to confirm any internal issues etc...

Will update after the surveyor leaves tomorrow.

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Sep-17 14:39:39
Print Post

Thats good. Thanks for updated
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Tue 26-Sep-17 17:43:21
Print Post

you are lucky. I am still waiting for any type of survey.

I'm beginning to think OR are giving you preferential treatment.

smile
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Tue 26-Sep-17 17:48:45
Print Post

Lol I wish. I just called Cerberus yesterday to get update as they told me to call them on Monday, and today I got call from Openreach.

It might be because I am closer to aggregation point, but I donít know. I will ask the surveyor tomorrow and see what he says.

Snake smile
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Wed 27-Sep-17 10:54:04
Print Post

Update: 27/09/2017

So the Openreach Surveyor just left. All is good, except the pole outside my house will need to be replaced. The surveyor said that would not incur any excess charges as BT would be replacing it anyway. They will hopefully speed up the replacement as it is now required part of the installation. Might add a week or two to the install.

Snake smile
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Wed 27-Sep-17 17:02:01
Print Post

Did you ask the surveyor how they choose the priority of their surveys in London?

I'm still waiting for my call from OR to schedule mine.

frown

Great news though on your progress so far. I'm hoping I will be as lucky.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Wed 27-Sep-17 18:38:42
Print Post

I did ask, he said there isnít a pretence itís just as surveyors become available. I would keep pestering Cerberus to make sure they are on Openreach to get someone out

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Sep-17 20:59:03
Print Post

Did Openreach Surveyor tell u which band are u on?
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Wed 27-Sep-17 21:03:22
Print Post

Band B - same as everyone been saying. He did say my install should be super easy, barring the pole needing replacement.

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Sep-17 21:16:49
Print Post

Do u think I am possibly in Band B not Band F? Because my property run copper wiring under the ground. Outside of my front garden footway there is a label of BT on it, probably aggregation node a further up by the cabinet.

Edited by adslmax (Wed 27-Sep-17 21:17:20)

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Wed 27-Sep-17 21:54:59
Print Post

I wouldnít know, you might able to find out If you call Fluidone or Cerberus.

Snake smile
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 28-Sep-17 01:30:25
Print Post

Your nearest aggregating node will serve a number of local cabinets. Chances are the Agg Node is further than the cabinet.

The fact you have a BT chamber on the footpath outside your house doesn't mean the Agg Node is any closer. It's just because your line runs underground, and chambers are dotted along the length of of your line.

Who told you that you were band F?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Sep-17 01:36:47
Print Post

cerberus told me I am on band F
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Thu 28-Sep-17 01:48:08
Print Post

Then you're band F.
It wouldn't make good business sense to tell a potential customer their installation bill is going to be thousands of £ more than it should be.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Sep-17 01:51:41
Print Post

That's why it put me off. I wait until g.fast come to my cabinet next summer. smile
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Thu 28-Sep-17 12:27:26
Print Post

Update 28 September:

Hi All,

I have an exciting update. A very nice and friendly OR surveyor called me this morning to let me know that he is scheduled to do a survey at my house tomorrow.

I have arranged to be at home to take him through all the details of where I want the line to enter my house etc.

I will let you all know how it goes and what issues etc. he raises.

At least I am beginning to feel some real momentum here. My install is probably going to be a lot more complex than Snake's as I am in Band E.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Thu 28-Sep-17 12:28:39
Print Post

Sounds great, I hope the install process goes smoothly!

William Grimsley.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Sep-17 13:01:04
Print Post

My install is probably going to be a lot more complex than Snake's as I am in Band E.

Not necessarily. Mine was band D (~ 800m to agg node) yet I had the service installed in just over 3 months without any dramas. If they run your fibre in u/g ducts all the way to agg node then potentially the biggest hurdle is blocked ducts which can cause delays, especially if the ducts need to be dug up to remove the blockages.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Thu 28-Sep-17 14:19:54
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Yeah agreed.

I'm just worried that the longer the run of fibre needs to be the higher the chance that something gets physically in the way that can cause delays.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 01:13:07
Print Post

Well for me it seems the telephone/telegraph pole is the issue, I am assuming they will run the fibre at the same as the pole change then have a fibre manifold on the pole. After the engineer will do the final run to the house.

I am hoping I can get it all sorted by the end of October, although that might be pushing it, however I definitely think it should be all completed before the end of November

Snake smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Sep-17 06:02:41
Print Post

It is highly unlikely that the pole erection team will be doing the manifold at the same time.

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 09:01:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I was hoping the pole team and the fibre team with corordinate the work to reduce the disruption etc...

Snake smile
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 11:57:00
Print Post

Update 29 September:

Hi All,

So the OR surveyor arrived this morning 10 mins before our scheduled appointment. A really nice and friendly man.

Anyway he was more of an expert on the external running of the fibre but I showed him the internal location of where I want the fibre to terminate in my existing cupboard in the garage.

He said that he doesn't see any problems running the fibre to the side of my house and in through the external wall by my garage. They are basically going to run the fibre from the pole suspended in the air like my existing copper cable, and then run the fibre along my roof drains and pipes to hide it. I was worried that fibre can't bend etc but he said it's no problem for my run. So no digging up driveways or anything for me.

Also what's interesting is he said he'll recommend they replace my existing copper cable with a new dual cable that has both fibre and copper so that there is only one cable hanging above my driveway rather than 2.

As I mentioned he wasn't that knowledgeable on the internal equipment and internal socket.

I want to replace my existing FTTC openreach modem with the Fibre ONT one and also place the fibre socket next to the existing BT copper socket. However I don't know what the dimensions of the ONT and fibre socket are.

Do any of you know?

Also do you guys know if you can cancel your line rental for the existing copper line once you get the fibre line i.e. will BT treat them as one line?

Lastly I asked the surveyor what sort of times they are experiencing from survey to final installation and he said around 3 months.

Obviously that is dependant on physical issues like blocked ducts or needing to close roads etc. He told me he doesn't think there is any major issue with running the fibre to my tel pole but he would let me know if he discovers one.

Will keep you all updated.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Sep-17 12:30:29
Print Post

Based on my measurements, dimensions of my 4 port ONT are 20cm x 15cm (length x height)

http://postimg.org/image/5iuymdvpx/

http://postimg.org/image/5wwalzfth/

The copper line remains totally independent of your FTTP line. I'm getting a second (backup) VOIP landline through Sipgate and test this out for a few months for reliability & voice quality. If its as good as my copper TalkTalk line then i will cancel the copper and go VOIP only for voice.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 29-Sep-17 13:58:31
Print Post

Plenty of info in here https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/resources/sit...
Standard User mumba
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:06:07
Print Post

thanks for all the info guys.

baby_frogmella from your photos it doesn't look like you have a BBU. Did OR not mandate that you needed one?

It's nonsensical that they do because voice is being provided over the fibre but apparently in their rules they have to install a BBU. Maybe in practice they don't bother with a BBU for FTTPoD.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:31:20
Print Post

I've been reading the thread with interest.

Did fttp show on the dsl checker that it was available to you? Or did you decide to look around for a company that would bring fttp to your house?

Either way I'm glad your install is going well smile

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:42:52
Print Post

FVA is not supported with FoD at the moment.

The BBU comes with all FTTP/FoD installations, even though it only work with FVA in the event of a power outage.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:45:30
Print Post

Also do you guys know if you can cancel your line rental for the existing copper line once you get the fibre line i.e. will BT treat them as one line?

FoD is completely independent of an existing copper service, so you can get rid of your copper line and set up some form of VoIP if you wish.
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:53:38
Print Post

Openreach bod did offer to install the BBU, however I politely declined as I wanted a tidier install. I didnít see the point of getting it installed as I canít use any FVA service for 3 years at least. However you may be (un)lucky and get the newer ONT which has a BBU built-in...itís bigger though! The newer versions are due to installed from October onwards.

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 15:06:56
Print Post

what is BBU?

Snake smile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 29-Sep-17 15:14:05
Print Post

battery backup unit
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 29-Sep-17 15:16:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks smile

Snake smile
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Sep-17 15:50:04
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

This thread is about FTTP On Demand installation which shows up as 'available' to most people on the BT checker - provided they can already get a FTTC service. At present its just Cerberus and Fluidone selling the service, though another isp called Distant Voice will also be selling the service soon.

Standard User mumba
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 16:24:40
Print Post

I hope I don't get this newer bigger ONT as I want it to fit neatly in my comms cabinet and just replace my current FTTC modem.

The engineer called me back just now saying he had finished his external survey and hadn't found any major issues.

I think I now need to wait until Tuesday for official confirmation that there are no extra construction charges so that I can proceed with the order.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Sep-17 16:50:04
Print Post

The installer wonít/shouldnít fit the ONTE in your comms cabinet, it should be wall mounted, keeping the fibre solid in its position.

From the ONTE itís a standard ethernet cable to the router - so house that in your cabinet instead.

Standard User mumba
(learned) Mon 02-Oct-17 15:38:28
Print Post

Thanks Zarjaz that's very useful information about it needing to be wall mounted.

My current FTTC modem is mounted to my cisco switch using very strong velcro but I assume that's not going to be good enough for the ONT.
Standard User mumba
(learned) Wed 11-Oct-17 16:39:24
Print Post

Update 11 October 2017:

Hi All,

So I've had an exciting update today. OR have confirmed with Cerberus that there are no additional charges for my installation.

They have also provided Cerberus with an estimated delivery date of 14 November. If there are no issues then this date can be achieved and if it is I will be super impressed.

So now I just have to wait and hope there are no issues during the installation like blocked ducts etc.

If the 14 November date is achieved then the total turn around time will be 2 months and 9 days.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Oct-17 17:19:56
Print Post

Good news there Mumba smile

I shall draw mystic tunes with my cleaver to assuage the fibre Gods for you smile

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Oct-17 16:09:34
Print Post

I am going to placed an order FTTPoD with Cerberus next week and give it a go. I know I am on Band F but maybe Openreach might surprise me after survey with no addition charge.

Hopefully I should get FTTPoD 330/30 before xmas day!

Edited by adslmax (Thu 12-Oct-17 16:10:21)

Standard User Snake
(experienced) Fri 13-Oct-17 17:13:26
Print Post

Update 13/10/2017

Just been told install date of 16th November. As long as there are no issues with pole replacement etc...

There are no ECC charges.

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Oct-17 00:46:26
Print Post

total turn around time will be ? months and ? days?
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 14-Oct-17 00:48:39
Print Post

2 months 8 days or so. Under the estimated 90 days, so I am impressed so far

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Oct-17 00:55:02
Print Post

That's pretty great. Can't wait to placed an order on Monday with Cerberus. smile Hopefully mine will be ready just in time before xmas day.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Sat 14-Oct-17 01:00:14
Print Post

Very surprised your ordering after all the FUP and AUP discussion and also how you were treated before? Also if you really are Band F itís going to be double / triple my installation cost upfront.

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Oct-17 01:29:28
Print Post

Don't think it will be band f. Cerberus confident it won't be in band f. They told me don't worry about FUP or AUP. It's will be totally UNLIMITED USAGE under FTTPoD.

The estimated lead time to activation is 90 days for variable connection charge bands A-E. The estimated lead time for variable connection charge bands F-K is not defined.

Edited by adslmax (Sat 14-Oct-17 01:30:14)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Oct-17 12:22:24
Print Post

My order had been placed and paid by set up fee on my credit card.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Oct-17 12:30:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
My order had been placed and paid by set up fee on my credit card.

Nice one, hope you get it installed without any dramas. Did you have to pay the setup fees (band F?) in advance?

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Mon 16-Oct-17 12:48:04
Print Post

Oh dear! Why oh why did you do that?
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Mon 16-Oct-17 19:20:57
Print Post

Well you finally bit the bullet - I hope you see it through to the end!

Question: Do you think 330Mb/s will be fast enough?

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User mumba
(learned) Mon 16-Oct-17 20:26:24
Print Post

Snake it's going to be interesting to see who gets theirs first you or me.

Both our estimated dates are mid November. Also the estimated date is for the external connection they still need to co-ordinate another team for the internal connection which I am hoping will be scheduled the same day or the next.

Let's hope we both are up and running before the end of November.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Mon 16-Oct-17 20:33:29
Print Post

My biggest concern is the pole replacement. Otherwise Iíd think I would have had it sooner smile

Iíll be happy if I can get it on or close to that date. I am away on holiday and wonít be back until the end of the month so only two weeks to go when I get back smile

Snake smile
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 17-Oct-17 14:23:39
Print Post

I had a pole replacement on my order, that part went reasonably smoothly (2-3 weeks to sort out). What's really poleaxed me was the revelation that there's an FTTP card needed at the head end exchange which is a 6 month wait!

Fingers crossed you won't get any nasty surprises like that.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Tue 17-Oct-17 14:25:34
Print Post

[re: raesene] [link to this post]

I donít think I will, since I am very close to Ilford where thy have rolled out fibre etc... so they could borrow a card if needed. They also did do some work in ensuring they knew what was needed etc... but this could be all wishful thinking

Snake smile
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 17-Oct-17 14:30:37
Print Post

If you're in a more populated area, I think you're right it'll be ok from that perspective (I'm fairly rural, and have a feeling I'm the first FTTP order in the area).

That said it definitely wasn't picked up before the order was placed as I'd been given an expected completion date of Dec 2017 intially and a load of work (e.g. pole replacement) was done before the availability check on the head end was completed and suddenly shot my completion date out to sometime Q1 2018
Standard User mumba
(learned) Tue 17-Oct-17 14:31:44
Print Post

[re: raesene] [link to this post]

Rasene please tell me you used the word "poleaxed" on purpose.
Standard User raesene
(learned) Tue 17-Oct-17 14:59:43
Print Post

Well if i hadn't I'm definitely going to pretend I did!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 16:41:33
Print Post

Let's hope we both are up and running before the end of November.

Or let hope three of us are up and running before the end of November. I have to wait for Openreach to do survey on the 30th October. Already paid setup fee on credit card. Hope my band isn't F or G.

Cerberus gave me a special SMS service for hard of hearing who unable to hear engineer call when doing the survey as the engineer will text me instead of calling me. That's a good start. They put disability as top priority between the customer, isp and openreach during this stage phase.

Plusnet couldn't do this way!

Edited by adslmax (Tue 17-Oct-17 17:05:03)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 17:06:39
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Oh dear! Why oh why did you do that?

Because I want it. I got the money!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 17:07:54
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:
Well you finally bit the bullet - I hope you see it through to the end!

Question: Do you think 330Mb/s will be fast enough?

Well for now 330/30 is more than enough then after 36 months, might change to FTTP 500/50 if all possible.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 17:12:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Nice one, hope you get it installed without any dramas. Did you have to pay the setup fees (band F?) in advance?

Thanks, no I just pay the setup fee by CC. After survey done, if no further cost and will go ahead, but if it was extra cost of Band F or G then will let me know so I can decide to go ahead or not. And will refund the setup fee back to my CC if not go ahead. But Cerberus hope it won't be the case and believe I shouldn't be in Band F or G.

Edited by adslmax (Tue 17-Oct-17 17:13:46)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 17:14:51
Print Post

Will it affect my phone line or my current fibre with plusnet when survey come out?

Edited by adslmax (Tue 17-Oct-17 17:15:12)

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Oct-17 17:21:46
Print Post

Will it affect my phone line or my current fibre with plusnet when survey come out?

Nothing happens to your existing copper line and any voice/data services on it remain untouched.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 17:36:39
Print Post

Thanks, if FTTPoD go ahead then I will cancel it with Plusnet but I just wait until the service went LIVE first. Do u think I will get FTTPoD go live before xmas day as I know openreach is very busy during December before break up for holiday.
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Tue 17-Oct-17 17:39:27
Print Post

Who is your account/sales manager? Mine is Martin, he has been a top bloke, between him and the rest of the team at Cerberus I am very happy with the service provided

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 17:41:11
Print Post

Snap! Martin is my Sales manager and yes he is very helpful and was awareness of my disability too. Far miles better than Plusnet.

Edited by adslmax (Tue 17-Oct-17 17:42:18)

Standard User witchunt
(committed) Tue 17-Oct-17 18:21:05
Print Post

Can't wait for g.fast?
Standard User Snake
(experienced) Tue 17-Oct-17 18:36:36
Print Post

Oh great to hear.

Snake smile
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Oct-17 19:42:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Can't wait for g.fast?

FTTPoD is far better than g.fast as g.fast is very limit depend how far away from the cabinet. I wouldn't get full 330/50 on g.fast. FTTPoD is guarantee 330/30 no matter how far away from the telephone exchange.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 17-Oct-17 20:29:28
Print Post

section 75 protection, sound move.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Tue 17-Oct-17 21:49:23
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

No such thing, it's business not consumer.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 18-Oct-17 02:58:43
Print Post

Throughput is not guaranteed. It's a shared service on the backhaul.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 18-Oct-17 02:59:16
Print Post

You will get G.fast before FoD - that much I can say.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Oct-17 04:40:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Throughput is not guaranteed. It's a shared service on the backhaul.

True, FoD is contended but in the 4 months or so Iíve had the service Iíve not had any slowdowns. 310/30 Mbps throughput day & night smile

Standard User GenuineCerberus
(newbie) Wed 18-Oct-17 09:49:21
Print Post

To clarify some information for readers of this thread - the only upfront charge that Cerberus makes is for the installation band a property resides in. This means:

We input your information and we retrieve your Variable Cost Band (VCB) immediately
We make you aware of the cost of that band immediately
We provide you with a formal quotation with the stated band and stated cost combined
Payment by the customer is then made on this basis before any engineer is sent to site

There is no separate installation cost to pay where we then send an engineer to find out what band a property is in. This is known upfront, made clear and is known by Openreach engineers attending site from the get-go.

I'm very happy to see some of our clients in here, and finding positive experiences all round - we appreciate the feedback on an independent forum.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Oct-17 11:45:52
Print Post

I heard my area won't be ready until next summer or autumn 2018. It won't be ready before xmas for my area. FTTPoD will be.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Oct-17 12:58:05
Print Post

I heard my area won't be ready until next summer or autumn 2018. It won't be ready before xmas for my area. FTTPoD will be.

Don't forget that G.Fast is an 'up to' service (rate adaptive) so you'll always be trying to squeeze every bit of juice from your line (assuming you don't sync at the max 330/50). You'll constantly be wondering

Am i connected to the right type/make of G-Fast Pod?
Am i using the right type of G.Fast modem?
and potentially worst of all: will the dreaded DLM ever remove my banding?

On FTTP no such worries. You'll get a brand spanking new fibre optic cable installed all the way from the agg node to your living room and your ONT will ALWAYS "sync" at the speed you're paying for. None of this 'up to' rubbish or DLM to worry about. Reboot your ONT as often as you like smile Of course FTTP is not immune from congestion but this is potentially the only possible problem you're likely to face on FTTP wrt speed issues. Not that i've experienced any speed issues on FTTP (touch wood) smile

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Oct-17 13:07:08
Print Post

I agree as FTTP/FTTPoD are the future NOW! G.Fast is just like another upgrade from ADSLMAX (8Mbps) to ADSL2+ (21Mbps) and for VDSL to G.FAST (76Mbps to varies up to 330Mbps) but I knew g.fast will get 330 for approx 5% of it (must be within 50m or less)

FTTP or FTTPoD no worry at all. And goodbye to DLM.

Edited by adslmax (Wed 18-Oct-17 13:08:51)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Oct-17 14:05:05
Print Post

To be honest if you are potentially in Band F for FTTPoD then G.Fast isn't going to do a lot for you in the current rollout no matter when it lands.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Oct-17 15:58:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Why ?

FTTPoD bands are from the aggregation node to the property, nothing to do with the PCP.

Standard User Bill100
(learned) Wed 18-Oct-17 17:23:58
Print Post

Have either Cerberus or Fluidone offered to give you 330/50 when it is available? I thought this band was due to become available in October.... which is roughly now!
Standard User mumba
(learned) Wed 18-Oct-17 18:58:12
Print Post

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

Hi Bill100

I haven't been offered 330/50. Where did you hear that FTTPoD was being offered at 330/50 from October?
Standard User mumba
(learned) Wed 18-Oct-17 19:08:59
Print Post

Snap! Martin is my Sales manager and yes he is very helpful and was awareness of my disability too. Far miles better than Plusnet.

Mine is Vruti. She and her team are amazingly helpful and efficient at keeping me up to date with the progress of my order and my detailed questions.

They really do seem to care about customer service and realise how excited we early adopters are to unwrap our shiny new fibre lines as soon as possible.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Oct-17 08:35:04
Print Post

I guess it depends on where the agg node is in comparison to the cabinet. The cab could be a lot closer than the agg node but it could also be further away.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to