General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadbandFlash
(newbie) Mon 11-Sep-17 10:21:13
Print Post

Ordering FTTP on a house before buying

[link to this post]

We are in the middle stages of buying a property in mid west wales. All checks, including those by experienced members on this forum suggest fttp (BT) is available, but there is always the small print "you only know for sure when you order/install it".

The purchase, due to my business, is critical to the broadband connection being above 30mb.

One suggestion is to order it, or get the owners to order it and we will pay for the entire year, then test it when its installed, before buying the house.

My concerns are:
- will it mess up their current ISP (a Welsh firm that also provde their email address, over standard copper ADSL)?
- if it will mess it up, is the only option to install a second telephone line to be associated with the fttp? Can you have two ISP's per property like this?
- are you allowed to order on a property you don't own?

I would want the least hassle for the owners, and ideally not have to order FTTP through the Welsh firm as they are considerably more expensive.

Be most grateful for any help/experience/advice.

Edited by broadbandFlash (Mon 11-Sep-17 10:22:44)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 10:56:32
Print Post

Re: Ordering FTTP on a house before buying

[re: broadbandFlash] [link to this post]

FTTP does not need a phone line so could be installed without affecting the existing ADSL service and could be ordered from any supplier as it would be a separate contract. If you are paying I don't see why you shouldn't be able to order it even if you don't own the property.
(newbie) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:07:14
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Ah I see. Does that mean you don't get another number with an fttp installation - just wondered if BT provide some sort of VOIP with it?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:33:44
Print Post

I don't think you can order a service in your name at present as you don't live there nor own the property yet, obviously the existing owners can in their own name - providing they agree to it of course. For their piece of mind it might be worth paying them the full amount if there is a min term and obviously you take over the service when you move in or when the min term ends, whichever comes last.

Bt supply a voice over fibre service (called FVA) I guess they'll issue a new number if the existing copper voice line will coexist with the FTTP service. Alternatively you can use a voip provider such as Vonage over FTTP.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:57:18
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I see no reason why person B shouldn't be able order an FTTC service in their own name at a property belonging to Person A while A is in residence, so long as A is willing to oblige. Though I don't see why they should unless the house is proving difficult to sell. It could be a multi-occupancy building as far as the CPs are concerned.

Re your idea of taking over a service ordered in the current owner's name, that can't be done.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:59:18
Print Post

Please can you confirm that it is FTTP available there, not FTTPoD? A huge number of people come to this forum not realising they are very different things from the marketing and cost points of view.

Ah frown. I see that is covered in this August thread. I assume it is the same property as the description is the same.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 11-Sep-17 12:04:08)

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:06:11
Print Post

Re: Ordering FTTP on a house before buying *DELETED*

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by ferretuk
(newbie) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:18:37
Print Post

We're on very good terms with the owners, but I know its a lot to ask (its a detached house with single occupancy and one copper phone line/ADSL) Hence my question on how disruptive it may be to them. I would offer the full contract price plus any hassle/effort costs for them also. I need to try what I can as a house purchase depends on it, but would completely understand if they say no.

I didn't think about being unable to adopt the contract - so I would need to order it myself, and pay for it, with their permission for the extent of the contract, even if the purcahse falls through.

Thanks.
(newbie) Mon 11-Sep-17 12:20:43
Print Post

Yes its FTTP as far as I can see.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Sep-17 13:03:24
Print Post

It would be much better if the house purchase contract has been signed. Even then it would be much better to get the agreement of the seller. If it is FTTP on demand then it may take a while to get installed anyway.

Michael Chare
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 13:09:21
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

From the OP's earlier thread I believe it's WBC FTTP which can also take many weeks/months to get installed due to lack of resources within Openreach.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Sep-17 13:15:17
Print Post

Hence my question on how disruptive it may be to them.

It really shouldn't be any problem to them at all.

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 14:05:44
Print Post

What stage are you at in the purchase?
What does your solicitor say?
What is your plan B?

As others have pointed out, the lead time for an FTTP install *could* be long so does that mean you won't be in a position to exchange contracts until it is in place to test?

I see that you're prepared to pay up front so the current owners are covered but what happens if they give up waiting and sell to someone else in the meantime?

Can't you just ask the current owners to place an order to see what happens, and then cancel it if it is accepted? I don't see the need to test it when installed as will either work at full speed or not at all.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM
(newbie) Mon 11-Sep-17 14:31:20
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Haven't nvolved the solicitor as yet.with this FTTP matter. There is no plan B. I need to manage remote servers. Satellite broadband is not an option due to latency, and 3g isn't in the area. Hence why it is vital to confirm.

If the FTTP order is accepted, does that definately mean it can be installed? I was under the impression the installation engineer on site could still stop the install? I may have assumed incorrectly.

And can it then be cancelled?

How long can the lead time be with BT? Its at the stage of "accepting orders" on their checker, so can it still be months?
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Mon 11-Sep-17 15:12:49
Print Post

That won't work. If WBC FTTP is confirmed at the property then ordering/cancelling an order still leaves you vulnerable to the main possible stumbling block, capacity. It's possible that in between confirming an order is accepted/cancelling the order, and finalising a purchase, capacity on your DP runs out.

From the various options you suggested the only 1 I can see that guarantees an FTTP service is actually ordering it in your own name, with the current owners permission. That means it's your credit at risk if you don't pay. If the sale doesn't go through the worst that can happen to the current owner is they get free FTTP for a year.

Are you willing to risk paying for a year of FTTP if the sale doesn't go through? If so then that's my recommendation.
(newbie) Mon 11-Sep-17 16:56:16
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thats my suspicion of the only route.

I suspect there is less customer need (at least not as much as other areas of the country) for fttp in the area, but may be wrong.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Sep-17 17:36:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadbandFlash:
I suspect there is less customer need (at least not as much as other areas of the country) for fttp in the area, but may be wrong.

If people in the area can't get > 3.5 Mbps on adsl2+ (according to your other thread - thanks Bob) and its a high density neighbourhood, then take up of WBC FTTP is likely to be high.

Edit: just re-read your other thread and I believe the area is SY20 8RP which looks rural so you might be ok wrt capacity issues - but the only way to be 100% sure is to actually place the order with a CP and see what happens.

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 11-Sep-17 17:42:48)

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Sep-17 18:14:39
Print Post

In SY20 8RP there's just a few properties which are able to order a native FTTP service - others are in scope. For the ones which can, the following appears on the BT dsl checker "single dwelling unit residential overhead feed not evaluated" such as for this address

https://postimg.org/image/beg2e3kid/

Compared to FTTP status at my address:

https://postimg.org/image/l09muebo5/

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 11-Sep-17 20:43:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadbandFlash:
Haven't nvolved the solicitor as yet.with this FTTP matter. There is no plan B. I need to manage remote servers. Satellite broadband is not an option due to latency, and 3g isn't in the area. Hence why it is vital to confirm.

If the FTTP order is accepted, does that definately mean it can be installed? I was under the impression the installation engineer on site could still stop the install? I may have assumed incorrectly.

And can it then be cancelled?

How long can the lead time be with BT? Its at the stage of "accepting orders" on their checker, so can it still be months?

I manage various remote servers over satellite links (their end, mobile units) and it works fine, using SSH, RDP, and Logmein.

However, if your business need really is this great, you should perhaps look at a small leased line anyway. Certainly consumer services have no guarantee of uptime!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to