General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Thu 14-Sep-17 20:37:06
Print Post

Fttp has appeared

[link to this post]

Hi

For those that don't know I moved to a new build property a couple of years ago that ended up not having fibre installed. Therefore went round the houses with BT telling us we're in the plans, then we aren't commercially viable so going the community fibre quote route which didn't pan out. Anyway I checked today and saw that FTTP is available for roughly half the properties on the Close. I've now ordered and no issues on the order process, so a few questions:

1) We were given a quote of many thousands for a community fibre project is it possible they may look to recoup these costs through excess construction charges?

2) When ordering the customer service agent said I only had a choice of 50 or 80 Mb and said this may be due to congestion in the area. Has anyone heard of them doing this before? When looking as a new customer online it provides me with options 3 and 4, but when going through my account only gives options 1 and 2

Of course this may be short lived and the results from the checker could change tomorrow but for now I will live the dream,
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 14-Sep-17 20:45:28
Print Post

Re: Fttp has appeared

[re: bluemoon87] [link to this post]

1) is this FTTP or FTTPOD?

2)Sounds like the order was for FTTC but you were after FTTP

Can you screenshot the results of www.dslchecker.bt.com and post a link to them, please?
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Thu 14-Sep-17 21:13:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

1) native FTTP - an extension of existing FTTP in the area
2) definitely FTTP as was put through to the FTTP team and they explained the 2 step install process and put through the order.

Can't screenshot the page at the moment but connected to Horsham Carfax cab 92 and displays WBC FTTP as available at Upto 330 down and upto 30 up. No mention of FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 14-Sep-17 21:19:47
Print Post

Yes, for example RH12 3GL. Very odd excuse.
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Thu 14-Sep-17 21:42:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes that's what I thought. Still these speeds are more than fast enough for me at the moment so won't complain if it does all go through okay. More that sales kept saying there were only 2 speeds available and I was curious what happened to the other 2smile
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Sep-17 21:47:53
Print Post

The congestion reason is BS.

I did see another thread on the BT community forums with a customer in the same position.

Apparently there's an order system issue preventing them ordering 3 or 4 as a new provide, but once the service is live the product can be upgraded from Infinity 1 or 2.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Sep-17 08:41:37
Print Post

Excess charges is not something that is random there are reasons, e.g. 200m fibre run from edge of property to the wall of the building, so if a standard residential estate there should be no issues

On the ordering, BT Retail are known for messing up the Infinity 3 or 4 pages, i.e. developers seem to forget about it e.g. we deep link to Infinity 3/4 and periodically that breaks, so very probable the existing customer page is broke and just needs fixing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Fri 15-Sep-17 19:53:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's what I'm a little concerned by, there's been no activity from OR as far as I could tell to extend the network to us so I don't particularly know why it's now become available especially since the community funding option fell through. Meaning I don't believe they have installed any equipment closer to our development. Therefore a bit worried this will also fall through once the survey has been conducted, its been set for the beginning of next week so will soon find out if it's actually a system error.
Standard User bluemoon87
(learned) Wed 18-Oct-17 17:43:16
Print Post

So a couple of quick updates over the last month my initial order was cancelled by openreach because they said I lived in a flat and needed landlords permission, news to me since I was fairly sure I bought a semi detached house. Anyway Openreach updated their records and a second order was placed, this time though I was given the option of all 4 packages a nice change from last time.
So yesterday a couple of guys from Kelly’s came to do the initial fibre work, only to find that there is indeed no fibre on the close however did mention that the fibre on the estate next to us runs a few metres away from our existing ducting, so they said they’d submit for planning but thought that option was unlikely as they’d probably prefer to run the fibre to the site entrance. I thought that was the end of it but wife mentioned to me today that someone came to install the CSP but fortunately she knew the guys hadn’t been able to blow the fibre yesterday. Felt sorry for the guy when she told me he had travelled an hour to get here only to find that out, obviously some miscommunication. Hopefully things are moving and there is activity to get it sorted.
  Print Thread

Jump to