General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User raesene
(newbie) Fri 15-Sep-17 09:14:55
Print Post

FTTPoD Order Progress

[link to this post]

Thought I'd provide an update on my FTTPoD order as info. for anyone else who's looking at it.

Ordered with FluidOne starting on 1st August. Initial progress was good we had 2 engineers out to do surveys over the first couple of weeks after the order, and they identified that it would be possible to join into the main fibre line that comes down via overhead poles not too far from our house.

They also idenfitied that one of the poles needed replaced, so that got scheduled in, along with a tree surgeon to cut back branches from the various poles between us and the road.

This work got done over 2 days last week and, apart from our existing lines getting unexpectedly dropped for a couple of hours, was pretty smooth. The endpoint was that the last of the cable needed jointed into the property..

Jointers arrived this week with some bad news which was that they had identified a box which had been tarmaced over and would require "civils" to clear, so a bit of a delay there...

However looks like that won't be the main hold-up as now the capacity check has noted a new FTTP card is needed in the head end and apparently although it's been ordered it won't be fitted till some time between January and March next year!!

So near, and yet so far...
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Fri 15-Sep-17 09:28:21
Print Post

Re: FTTPoD Order Progress

[re: raesene] [link to this post]

That must be crushing.

All that money you must have forked out up front and you're facing a possible 6 month delay before you get any return on it! I hope it gets sorted before then.

Who's responsible for fitting the card, and do you have any escalation path with them, although I assume FluidOne are chasing - they do seem rather good?

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Sep-17 09:41:17
Print Post

Sorry to hear that but look on the bright side: at least you're not being asked to cough up Excess Construction Charges (ECCs) which is usually the biggest fear when extra work is required.

Also the timescale of up to 6 months to get a FTTP card fitted in the exchange seems rather excessive, i would have thought it could be done in a matter of weeks. Perhaps others will have a better idea on this.

But keep pushing Fluidone for updates.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User raesene
(newbie) Fri 15-Sep-17 09:52:18
Print Post

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

So we've not had to pay as yet (order's not complete) so at least there's that smile

FluidOne have said they'll push for the install, but sounds at the moment like a 4 month minimum...
Standard User raesene
(newbie) Fri 15-Sep-17 09:53:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Yeah I think paradoxically the pole based instal might be reasonble cheap (we have no ducts to need cleared/changed)..

I agree about the 6 month thing, it does seem odd that where there's a confirmed order, it would take that length of time...
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Fri 15-Sep-17 13:05:00
Print Post

It's more likely that there needs to be fibre work done, especially if your telephone exchange isn't the handover exchange.

I checked the contract terms with Openreach and unfortunately the CP has no right to compensation for FoD installation delays.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Sep-17 10:22:03
Print Post

Interesting...

If a new card is needed at the head-end, then it implies a fresh GPON grouping - a whole new fibre in the spine, and a new splitter device (in an existing or new splitter node).
Standard User raesene
(newbie) Sat 16-Sep-17 10:36:13
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

That is interesting, thanks! Does the timescale we've had mentioned to us (4-6 months) sound likely for that kind of work?

I've asked our FluidOne account manager to check as it might be worth my looking into upgrading our existing connections to FTTC while we wait, if it's going to take that long...

Seems odd that FTTPoD would get advertised as available on the exchange if the connections needed to make it work aren't available at the moment.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sat 16-Sep-17 11:35:05
Print Post

The service is entirely order driven. Availability just confirms the ability to build the network.
6 months is probably a standard lead time from the supplier. Bear in mind that this usually happens months in advance for the standard network build.
I'd be surprised if it did actually take that long.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Sep-17 13:32:11
Print Post

The spine ought to be there (as part of getting FTTC there). The rest should be doable.

But it made me think...

If BT are deploying the structures for FTTPoD as though it will eventually underpin a total fibre rollout, then there needs to be a new splitter node for every 100ish premises - a couple of streets?

Statistically speaking, those ordering FTTPoD now are few and far between, so you'd guess that every single order is likely to need a new splitter node, a new fibre strand in the spine, and a new port in the head-end. At first, none of that hardware will be shared between separate orders.... So on ECI head-end L2S's, there are 8 ports per card - so 8 FTTPoD orders are likely to need a new card, and maybe just 64 orders need a whole new L2S node/rack/chassis

I wonder whether your delay isn't because a new card is needed, but because that new card needs a new chassis.

Your situation might feel unique, but probably isn't that far off the norm for FTTPoD.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to