General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Sat 16-Sep-17 14:13:31
Print Post

Questions about Fibre activation

[link to this post]

Parents had fibre just activated and mother was just telling me how they were given a activation fee. I assumed as they have had a active phone line over 20 years it wouldn't count for activation but that was question 1 just in case I was wrong.

But either way they have not had a new socket or faceplate installed in at least 10 years after the old one failed yet Openreach didn't go to their premises to even check, I would of assumed that was part of the charge.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(member) Sat 16-Sep-17 14:29:15
Print Post

Re: Questions about Fibre activation

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

I recently moved to talktalk faster fibre they do not charge a set up fee but i am sure they used to so maybe your parents are with an ISP that still charge a set up do you know who their ISP is?

I never looked into why they charged it in the past but have just read the activation fee is to pay openreach to visit the cabinet and switch them over

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sat 16-Sep-17 14:33:20)

Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Sat 16-Sep-17 14:37:14
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

They changed from ADSL2 not sure provider as it was a reseller to EE fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(member) Sat 16-Sep-17 14:40:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by mittenkrust:

That is what i did and as i said there was no charge in fact that was one of the reasons i finally decided to switch they make enough out of us as it is without charging to switch.

I forgot i posted in this thread - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/favlinker.php?Entry...

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Sat 16-Sep-17 14:42:21)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Sep-17 14:48:39
Print Post

Some do charge an activation fee, even if you change from FTTC to FTTC, they still do it, I think it is a BT open reach thing, but some providers will absorb the cost, like Talk Talk as long as you have a long enough contract. One of the reason i decided to stay with plusnet is because by the time I paid the activation fee I would not be saving a lot.,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Sep-17 16:51:10
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

First time getting FTTC its £49 activation at wholesale level, those providers doing it 'free' are gambling on you staying for contract period and beyond.

The migration is £11+VAT so providers charging a lot more when you switch could be seen as making a profit on that, but there are the gifts/rewards/hardware costs to account for

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Sep-17 17:05:40
Print Post

But either way they have not had a new socket or faceplate installed in at least 10 years after the old one failed yet Openreach didn't go to their premises to even check, I would of assumed that was part of the charge.
If the router is connected to the master socket and it is the type with a detachable faceplate,
then it is best to use a filtered faceplate which you can buy yourself.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to