General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NeptuneTwilight
(newbie) Sat 16-Sep-17 19:53:04
Print Post

Line Cease

[link to this post]

I've been with Origin BB for two years since I moved here, was with Virgin for 10 years or so before but can't get VM here. Anyway I've been not overly impressed with Origin’s service recently & now they want me to renew with an 18 month contract which I’m unwilling to do so going to move to another provider.

After looking around (so far) it's either Zen who I used many years ago or maybe UNO or Pulse 8 after reading on here. My problem is both Zen & UNO (on website) have told me there is a 'cease' on my line.

My contract with Origin is not up to 06 November (up to date with billing) & they are more than happy to renew & say there is absolutely no cease on my line. Zen told me cease’ is on 25 September. Any ideas why there is a cease on my line & how do I convince Origin there is? IMHO Origin telling me there is no ‘cease’ does not surprise me as their admin could not organise the proverbial drinking party. Any help appreciated as I can't do anything it seems with a 'cease' on my line.

Edit: I'm on FTTC - Line rental was paid in advance to Origin last year.

Edited by NeptuneTwilight (Sat 16-Sep-17 23:23:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Sep-17 10:28:37
Print Post

Re: Line Cease

[re: NeptuneTwilight] [link to this post]

Ceases can sometimes appear when providers are just moving people around between various wholesale providers...so that is a possibility

A possibility is that if you've told them you are not going to renew they have started the shutdown procedure on the contract and that involved placing a cease, hence why the migration system avoids this by you just contacting the gaining provider and first old provider knows is when they get a migration notice warning and inform you so you can object and thus help to avoid issues around slamming.

Edited by MrSaffron (Sun 17-Sep-17 12:20:48)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 17-Sep-17 10:38:50
Print Post

OK, thanks for that, Origin actually think I will probably renew aand have a email from them with the info for the next 18 months. The cease it seems is over a month before my contract ends with Origin so not sure why they picked September 25. I'll give Origin a ring & see what they say. As you say I don't want to cese anyway I will want to migrate. I'l see what happens.

Edited by NeptuneTwilight (Sun 17-Sep-17 10:39:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Sep-17 10:56:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

A possibility is that if you've told them you are not going to renew they have started the shutdown procedure on the contract and that involved placing a cease, hence why the migration system avoids this by you just contacting the gaining provider and first old provider knows is when they get a migration notice warning and inform you so you can consent.
I don't like that wording Andrew wink. The losing provider cannot ask for consent to the move away, only state any costs of leaving. Those costs can of course be disputed.

To clarify for the OP, even if you decide not to leave it is the gaining provider you notify of of the change of mind. Normally it is only if the gaining provider refuses to cancel the order that the losing provider can block the move. The exception being when you never placed a migration order in the first place. Your current one can also block that.

The nasty in your situation is that if that is a real Cease order on the line, not a transient one as Andrew suggests it msy be, then your chosen new ISP won't be able to place an order. You would need to get that Cease order cancelled.

The usual cause of this happening is unguarded use of terms like "I'm cancelling with you then and going somewhere else" if you've just had a disagreement. Unscrupulous providers will say you've given notice to Cease and place that order.
Edit: Typo

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 72313/12530Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 17-Sep-17 12:30:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Sep-17 12:21:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And wording now?

Remind me next time to just copy and paste the Ofcom wording

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 17-Sep-17 12:31:58
Print Post

I've phoned Origin up this morning & spoke to a pleasant lady who categorically denied there is any cease on the line. She has emailed the person I spoke to regarding renew & with some luck I will get a reply. I the worst should come to the worst they are only based half an hour away & I will go up & discuss this face to face smile Personally I think they are playing silly [censored]?
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sun 17-Sep-17 19:08:28
Print Post

A cease on the line usually shows up on the BTw DSL Checker when inputting a BTw landline number. I don't know if this works with address checks, or if it works for an Origin number
(newbie) Sun 17-Sep-17 19:38:16
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
A cease on the line usually shows up on the BTw DSL Checker when inputting a BTw landline number. I don't know if this works with address checks, or if it works for an Origin number

Thanks - Checked that & comes up as available on everything, Rang IDNet today & pretty sure I'm going with them & they couldn't see anything but they are going to ring me back tomorrow. Great guy on tech support & phone answered in 2 mins unlike the 1.5 hours I was used to. Few pounds more but looks good. Could be the cease was a transient one so I'll see? Thanks for help!
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sun 17-Sep-17 19:40:48
Print Post

No it appears in the text below the estimates/availability table. It doesn't affect the table at the top, just a note below that there is an active order or a cease on the line.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Sep-17 20:27:16
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
No it appears in the text below the estimates/availability table. It doesn't affect the table at the top, just a note below that there is an active order...on the line.

Yes that is correct - I had that recently whilst I was transferring my BTw line rental to another provider.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to