General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colesy3
(newbie) Tue 19-Sep-17 16:55:37
Print Post

FTTP ordered, what happens when the engineer arrives..

[link to this post]

Hi all, after waiting years for fibre, it finally became live a few days ago, so ordered "Infinity 3" from BT, as my existing provider, SKY, does not support FTTP (scumbags smile. Actually this is a nice little earner for BT, as the mainstream ISP's don't support FTTP, and OR are deploying FTTP more than ever. So can someone explain the bating order when the engineer arrives. All the BT cables are underground with a chamber access point 3-4 meters from the our property. Can I have the ONT fitted more or less where I like ?. Main bt socket in the hall, but phone in living room, so bt ran an extension cable from main socket into the living room. I have an extension cable also from the back of the main socket up the outside wall into the spare bedroom where it terminates to another socket (that bt fitted quite a few years ago) that feeds the ADSL sky router/modem. This spare bedroom is where I use my computer from and is where I would want the ONT to be fitted. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

Bloxboy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Sep-17 18:08:13
Print Post

Re: FTTP ordered, what happens when the engineer arrives..

[re: colesy3] [link to this post]

If its the new style connectorised version, then its very like having a phone line installed, i.e. black fibre is connected to the DP in the street and pushed through ducting and into house, inside house the black is stripped off to leave a white core (i.e. looks better indoors) and then a connector added to plug into the fibre ONT.

The older way, is fibre is blown down tube to a box on the outside of the house, and then some bendy fibre is connected to that and ran inside the house.

The usual 10 to 20m rules apply, but no sneaking it between gaps in doors as you might break the fibre.

NOTE: The Fibre ONT has Ethernet output to your broadband router, so might want to consider a neat place for the fibre modem (ONT) with some power, and then you are free to run Ethernet to where ever you like in the home i.e. best location for the wireless signal.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Sep-17 18:22:02
Print Post

Actually this is a nice little earner for BT, as the mainstream ISP's don't support FTTP, and OR are deploying FTTP more than ever.

Other operators can offer service over the Openreach FTTP network, it is that they choose not to.

Mr.S has pretty much completely covered all the installation stuff. But I fit this stuff, so any other questions, just ask.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Sep-17 18:28:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by colesy3:
Can I have the ONT fitted more or less where I like ?.

Yes, provided no more than 30m of internal fibre cabling is required.

Will be interesting to know if you get the newer ONT (with integrated BBU) or the existing version which has BBU separately. Though if you won't be getting BT's voice over fibre service (FVA) and have no plans to do so in future, you can ask the Engineer to skip the BBU for a more tidier install. He'll probably give you funny looks like the Engineer installing my ONT did, in the end he agreed to leave out the BBU smile

Edit: Just to add, a battery backup unit (BBU) ONLY powers the phone port on the ONT in a power cut, power to the LAN ports is disabled.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 19-Sep-17 18:41:12)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Sep-17 18:29:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Will be interesting to know if you get the newer ONT (with integrated BBU

still not seen one yet.

Standard User colesy3
(newbie) Tue 19-Sep-17 18:43:57
Print Post

Thanks for the replies, most helpful. So as I require the ONT in the spare bedroom, where the BT hub will be also, will I have to connect the phone to the ONT, or will they run a new extension cable to the living room for the phone, or can I use the existing copper cable for the phone, and just use the fibre for connecting to the ONT.

Again many thanks for your help and insight.

Bloxboy
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Sep-17 19:45:06
Print Post

If taking out a FVA service then a cable connects the ONT to the phone (or master phone) socket.

Some pics of my installation, though this was a FTTP 'On Demand' Installation hence I've got both copper & fibre coming through the same entry point:

https://s18.postimg.org/n3s26bdop/IMG_001.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/76ta9llah/IMG_002.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/nvuq5ihvt/IMG_003.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/h6o6phwjt/IMG_004.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/rurxoc6ix/IMG_005.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/69mv0q9s9/IMG_006.jpg

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Standard User j314
(newbie) Tue 19-Sep-17 19:53:53
Print Post

I also ordered FTTP a few days ago... hopefully OP doesn't mind my hijacking. On the phone the CSA said I could expect "stage 1" (pole to wall) to be done in a few days and "stage 2" (internal) in two weeks.

Today an engineer turned up, but only to "survey" the pole. He said everything seemed okay, but I forgot to ask him about stage 1.

Now google tells me that the stage1/stage2 steps are the old system, and the new one (connectorised) is installed from pole to internal in one visit. I don't know how to tell which kind the pole is, though.

Am I correct that connectorised FTTP is installed in one visit? Should I be concerned if no-one shows up to do stage 1 prior to my "stage 2" appointment?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Sep-17 20:31:52
Print Post

[re: j314] [link to this post]

If you can see the poletop 'manifold' that will tell you if you are getting connectorised or blow fibre ...

Both will have a stage one visit, one to prove to a port on the 'CBT' (connectorised block) the other 'bottle' shaped type needs Blown fibre tubing to CSP on the wall.

Standard User j314
(newbie) Tue 19-Sep-17 21:47:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz, so three visits (survey, stage1, stage2) for an FTTP install is normal I assume.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to