General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Sep-17 21:20:59
Print Post

Re: FTTP ordered, what happens when the engineer arrives..

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

If yours Baby_frogmella the original style blown fibre with splice point on outside wall and Ez Bend fibre inside? The other posters white looks thinner, which matches with what I believe would be the case for a connectorised fibre solution.

As for the connector - no opinion as only played around with the stuff in the street

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Sep-17 21:30:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep I have the traditional setup with fibre blown to an external CSP which is then spliced onto an 'EZ bend' optical cable going to the ONT. If j314 has the newer 'connectorised' setup then that probably explains the why he has a different connector at the ONT.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 29-Sep-17 21:31:20)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Sep-17 21:32:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You got it, that IS a connectorised termination ....

They do seem somewhat flimsy. But that the installer got the light loss reading would seem to indicate heís terminated it properly ....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 29-Sep-17 21:34:34
Print Post

[re: j314] [link to this post]

Page 8 of this https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/resources/sit... has a similar looking picture
Standard User j314
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 21:41:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

To clarify... there's an external CSP on an outer wall, to which a cable was led from a pole last week. Today the engineer drilled through the wall and fed a separate cable between the CSP and an ONT in a utility room. The cable was a combo outdoor/indoor type; the small length that ran through the wall was kept as outdoor and the rest (10-15m I'd say) was stripped back to reveal white indoor fibre.

There was no connector pre-installed on the fibre; I saw him adding one himself. I'm not sure if that's what connectorised means or not smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Sep-17 21:48:58
Print Post

The end plugging into the ONT (fibre modem) has no connector on, the one on the outside of the property usually has a connector, but am sure I could find a version of same cable that was bare at each end.

Fingers crossed given a sunny day and spare time will get some more photos done for main site guides

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Sep-17 21:54:33
Print Post

What a peculiar way to run it ??

I wonder if he didnít have any EZ bend type lead ins to use.

Standard User j314
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 22:09:14
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

A possible explanation: He mentioned that the internal cable would be black. I said I'd expected it to be white, so he went back to his van and produced the combo cable. I felt a bit guilty about that after seeing how tedious it is to strip the padding material from that cable :] I hadn't actually been all that concerned about the colour, just surprised.

So I guess either the EZ bend runs you describe only come in black, or he was out of white ones.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Sep-17 06:00:05
Print Post

Option 2 for sure ...

EZ bend lead in kits come in black, white or brown.

Standard User j314
(newbie) Mon 02-Oct-17 17:27:15
Print Post

Just going to update this for the sake of anyone googling a similar issue in the future. This post doesn't contain any questions/info relevant to the previous posters ITT, so you may want to skip smile

Since the BT tracker didn't acknowledge the need for an external fix, I called up today. 08005874787 didn't directly work, for some reason- had to go via India and get transferred back. When I did get through, they were very helpful.

I was told that the external work will be done tomorrow, but unexpectedly I was also given a timeslot for another internal visit next week. Turns out someone needs to sign off on the final install. If it's a different engineer from before, I should probably take the opportunity to ask about the staples/connector issues laugh

It will be interesting to see whether the service works from tomorrow, or only after the second internal visit.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to