General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Wed 20-Sep-17 15:36:10
Print Post

An FTTP database question

[link to this post]

Who decides which properties 'suddenly' get listed as having fttp available?

I've been informed that an exchange doesnt need to be listed as having FTTP for FTTP to be available to some properties. So I was wondering who makes the decision? What is the process of making that decision?

Is it that OR recently pushed fibre optics down a nearby road? or is it the number of people grouped together with fttc lines? or maybe no fttc available?

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Sep-17 15:48:37
Print Post

Re: An FTTP database question

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

No decision the fttp available means they've rolled out the physical infrastructure to you, UNLESS you are talking about availability of Fibre on Demand which is a different set of questions.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Wed 20-Sep-17 16:17:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
No decision the fttp available means they've rolled out the physical infrastructure to you

Ahh ok. That answered that question.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
UNLESS you are talking about availability of Fibre on Demand which is a different set of questions.

What is the different situation for FoD ?

I'd be willing to spend some money to try and get either FoD or FTTP. But there doesn't seem to be a place to get an estimation from. I'm sure there is. But I don't know who I'd contact.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 20-Sep-17 16:24:37
Print Post

What does the BT DSL checker say? That will tell you if FTTPoD is available and if it is, you may well find the costs are very high -possibly measured in thousands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Wed 20-Sep-17 16:32:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Neither FTTP or FoD are available.

I'm on FTTC at the moment.

I was just wondering if there was a place we can get an estimated cost to make it available. What processes would need to be done to make the case etc.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 20-Sep-17 16:40:50
Print Post

If your line does not even have an FTTPoD option then you would be looking at, potentially, tens of thousands and a very, very long series of discussions with BT. As to where to start, I have no real idea and to be honest you really could be wasting a lot of time and energy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Sep-17 17:32:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Its a non-starter, the only route would be http://www.communityfibre.bt.com and getting others onboard to pay for FTTP is FTTC available at reasonable speeds would be an uphill battle.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Wed 20-Sep-17 17:37:13
Print Post

Nobody decides to suddenly list anything. If it's not available, it's not listed as available. When FTTP is rolled out to an area, the properties who have had FTTP infrastructure rolled out to them would be added to the database as having FTTP available.

If someone "suddenly decided" to add your street to the database as having FTTP available, it would cause no end of problems. OpenReach need to add the infrastructure or no order could be completed.
In reply to a post by bowdon:
I've been informed that an exchange doesnt need to be listed as having FTTP for FTTP to be available to some properties. So I was wondering who makes the decision? What is the process of making that decision?

This was the case for FTTPod recently. If you tried to place an order for FTTPod with the likes of FluidOne but it wasn't showing as available, FluidOne would ask OpenReach to enable the exchange if the infrastructure is already in place at the exchange. However in the last few months OpenReach seem to have added hundreds of exchanges as FTTPod being available. There may still be some not showing available that might have the infrastructure, but if your exchange shows no FTTP at all then it's unlikely.

Not the case for FTTP though. If some properties on the exchange have access to FTTP then it should show as the exchange having FTTP.

You also can't order FTTPod as a residential customer at the moment. It comes with a 3 year contract, which can only be sold to businesses.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Sep-17 17:50:15
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

One of the limits on Fibre on Demand is having local Openreach staff who can actually install it, and this limitation means some areas might have the aggregation nodes and handover options but not showing FoD in the checkers.

To change that means doing things like less roll-out of stuff like the BDUK projects, or G.fast or commercial native GEA-FTTP or recruiting more staff but then they need training.

Standard User raesene
(newbie) Wed 20-Sep-17 21:15:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Also worth noting with FTTPoD that, if my experience is anything to go by, FTTPoD being marked as "available" on the checkers doesn't necessarily mean that it's possible to make a connection in the short term

So once you order it can take some time (6+ months in some cases) to get a line enabled.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to