General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadbandman
(learned) Thu 21-Sep-17 08:57:25
Print Post

openreach working on manholes at side of road

[link to this post]

been seeing openreach vans, about 5 of them littered around my estate.. they are working in manholes with yellow cabling

I asked a guy if fibre was coming and he said yeah FTTP! supposed to have it all finished by dec 31st

what are they doing in manholes? I thought they are supposed to work on cabinets
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:00:25
Print Post

Re: openreach working on manholes at side of road

[re: broadbandman] [link to this post]

Where do you think the fibre is going to go?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
(learned) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:03:03
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Where do you think the fibre is going to go?

I don't know, this is all new to me and very exciting

so if they install fiber there, how can they possibly get to my house? theyd have to dig under a row of houses

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:07:26
Print Post

Is there not ducting to each house?

Fibre doesnít go through cabinets, itís all done in underground chambers using splitter nodes and aggregation points.
(learned) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:11:20
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Is there not ducting to each house?

Fibre doesnít go through cabinets, itís all done in underground chambers using splitter nodes and aggregation points.

well for years BT has said my cabinet is not commercially viable for FTTC, now they are installing FTTP

However, I just did some googling, and BT don't even sell FTTP? so whats the point?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:18:58
Print Post

BT do sell FTTP - Infinity 3 and Infinity 4 are BT Retail FTTP packages and there are some others that sell it as well (although neither TalkTalk or Sky currently resell the BT FTTP packages). The FTTP packages will only appear though on addresses that have it available - Infinity 3 and 4 do not appear in searches for premises that don't have FTTP (or if we want to get complicated they may be available for people on G.Fast trial but that is a whole other story).

It is possible that the pay back is better on FTTP for your area than FTTC - it does happen. If there are already ducts in the ground (or possibly poles) to carry the fibres then it is certainly possible they will choose this as the best option for you.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:21:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadbandman:
well for years BT has said my cabinet is not commercially viable for FTTC, now they are installing FTTP

However, I just did some googling, and BT don't even sell FTTP? so whats the point?

In some cases FTTP works out cheaper than FTTC - for example in sparsely populated areas.

BT do sell FTTP - Infinity 3 & 4:

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/DSJa

edit: beaten to it by ian72 smile

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 21-Sep-17 09:23:02)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:23:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

smile
(learned) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:25:18
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
BT do sell FTTP - Infinity 3 and Infinity 4 are BT Retail FTTP packages and there are some others that sell it as well (although neither TalkTalk or Sky currently resell the BT FTTP packages). The FTTP packages will only appear though on addresses that have it available - Infinity 3 and 4 do not appear in searches for premises that don't have FTTP (or if we want to get complicated they may be available for people on G.Fast trial but that is a whole other story).

It is possible that the pay back is better on FTTP for your area than FTTC - it does happen. If there are already ducts in the ground (or possibly poles) to carry the fibres then it is certainly possible they will choose this as the best option for you.

the bt checker went from " no fttc sorry " to " fttp in plans " and now openreach engineers are literred around the estate, opening manholes on sides of roads and doing stuff in there, so no idea how long it will take once they finished mine

I presume they have to finish the whole estate?
the fttp checker says in plans, it hasnt even got to design, survey yet so maybe I'm wishing
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Sep-17 09:50:07
Print Post

You will just have to wait, it could take weeks/months/years. Just keep checking the BT DSL checker regularly, it should show something like this once FTTP is available at your address

http://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/DSJi

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to