General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mortician
(newbie) Fri 22-Sep-17 23:55:58
Print Post

FTTC on the BIRTLEY exchange

[link to this post]

Is anybody here able to provide any 'inside information' on the progress of BIRTLEY Cab 3? It was originally planned for February 2014 but has been delayed since. It started its fibre journey earlier the year when I saw Openreach laying ducts from the exchange to the cabinet.

According to streetworks the DSLAM is supposed to be installed over the next week. Cab 18 is also getting built next week, but that is getting power installed at the same time. Unfortunately no power installation is listed for Cab 3, only DSLAM installation. frown

Emailed Openreach almost two weeks ago and asked politely if they could provide an update on the cabinet. I was directed to a high-level complaints team and am still waiting for a response.

Also a little disheartened at where the cabinet is situated. The nearest housing estate is about half a mile away, but can't do anything about that.

Thank you.
Standard User Mortician
(newbie) Wed 27-Sep-17 21:15:09
Print Post

Re: FTTC on the BIRTLEY exchange

[re: Mortician] [link to this post]

Thought I'd update this if anybody stumbles upon it / general information on Openreach's track record. The week went by in which Openreach had stated on my council's roadworks website that they'd be installing the DSLAM. Decided to have a walk down to see it and surprise! No cabinet. The white marking where I assume the concrete plinth is to be placed is still there from months ago.

The wait continues.
Standard User StormWarden
(newbie) Wed 27-Sep-17 23:58:51
Print Post

Hi Mortician,

Looks like you are in a similar boat to what I was a couple of years ago the difference being is that my line terminated at the exchange which meant there was no box for the DSLAM to be sat next to. Openreach eventually installed 3 new boxes and separate DSLAMS and split the trunk line feeding the street.

If your line terminates at a cabinet and you know where it is located all I can advise is that you keep an eye on the progress. It took about 4 months between the white lines appearing and the cabinet being ready to take orders.

As someone who worked for an ISP all I can advise is be patient and watch out for the usual Openreach fiber sticker to appear on the DSLAM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Sep-17 02:00:24
Print Post

This happens all the time, it took them 3 to 4 times over 2 years to upgrade a chamber down my road.
The first few times went past and nothing was done, then the 4th time it was done.

Maybe there was no contractors available to do the work.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
  Print Thread

Jump to