General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Darkfibre
(newbie) Sun 24-Sep-17 10:14:49
Print Post

Neighbours sharing FTTPoD costs? Possible?

[link to this post]

Good morning all,

Out of interest if myself and a group of neighbours all wanted FTTPoD, is it possible to approach OR about splitting the install costs between us rather then us indivually paying?

If there are say 10 properties all close by then I would assume the the cost to install fibre at these premises is only going to cost OR slightly more than it would cost to do one property.

Is this possible?
Standard User tomse43
(learned) Sun 24-Sep-17 10:27:48
Print Post

Re: Neighbours sharing FTTPoD costs? Possible?

[re: Darkfibre] [link to this post]

You'd be better going down the Community Fibre route and getting a quote for FTTP, as I don't believe FTTPoD works like that.
Standard User Darkfibre
(newbie) Sun 24-Sep-17 10:43:18
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

Thanks I did look at te community Fibre scheme. But is that an option if you are already FTTC enabled and want FTTP?

I thought it was only if you had no access to any FTTx

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomse43
(learned) Sun 24-Sep-17 10:54:33
Print Post

After posting I did think that, in which I don't know. You'd have to get into contact with them unless someone else on here knows.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Sun 24-Sep-17 11:17:55
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

Dont believe the community funded scheme is available if superfast is already available. However it is possible to privately fund FTTP without the benefit of CFP.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Sep-17 11:40:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Darkfibre:
Thanks I did look at te community Fibre scheme. But is that an option if you are already FTTC enabled and want FTTP?

I thought it was only if you had no access to any FTTx

You can only go down the community fibre scheme route for FTTP/C if there's no FTTC available in your area, or if you're too far from the FTTC cab to get decent speeds. I think the reason for this is that BT/Openreach partially fund (50%?) community fibre projects. However if you & your neighbours are willing to pay the FULL costs of FTTP deployment then i see no reason why Openreach cannot quote you.

Alternatively, provided OR are still installing 4 LAN port ONTs, you could share the costs of one FTTPoD installation per 4 properties and run ethernet cable outdoors from the installed ONT to the routers of the other 3 properties provided they're not too far apart.

Btw another ISP, Distant Voice, will be selling FTTPoD soon. According to their sales team they will be selling it for ~ £80 pm + installation costs. I suspect they plucked that monthly figure out of thin air LOL. Déjà vu frown

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 24-Sep-17 11:54:01)

Standard User Bill100
(learned) Sun 24-Sep-17 12:32:41
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

There was a rumour going around that FOD pricing was going to change, with ECCs instead of distance bands and monthly pricing at the same levels as native FTTP. Makes a lot more sense to me (if it is true.....)

Anyone have insider information?

Edited by Bill100 (Sun 24-Sep-17 12:33:28)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Sep-17 13:00:32
Print Post

[re: Bill100] [link to this post]

Other than this snippet on ispreview I haven't heard anything else

Separately, ISPreview.co.uk understands that the same meeting also included discussion about a potentially significant change to the expensive FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD) product. FTTPoD is similar to Openreach’s native “full fibre” FTTP deployments, except it can be rolled out into certain non-FTTP areas following a request, but the end-user needs to pay a significant installation cost to help cover the construction work.

However we understand that the proposed change would involve dropping the price of FTTPoD to match native FTTP, with “project builds” becoming an option for things like estates. The new FTTPoD solution might also adopt ECC charges rather than a distance band with mandatory survey. But take this with a pinch of salt because we don’t yet have the detail and it’s currently only being “considered“.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10 running Voxel

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 24-Sep-17 13:01:16)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Sep-17 20:11:24
Print Post

Never heard of this ISP Distant Voice before.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Sep-17 20:17:57
Print Post

Those new ONTE's are just about to roll out .....

Apart from one user on here, and I believe that was some form of trial. I've not come across 4 ports being in use on a single ONTE ... been to two install where the whole shebang had been duplicated to provide two separate services at the same address.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to