General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 28-Sep-17 15:44:10
Print Post

Re: FTTP monopoly - what are my options?

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I've not heard of that before but yes possible!

I could take you half a dozen plus large new build estates round here where Openreach FTTC is the only service.
FTTP?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 28-Sep-17 15:46:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Seems odd to have someone post on here about only being able to get FTTP
He's saying he's been told that BT is his only option
Standard User tomse43
(learned) Thu 28-Sep-17 15:46:16
Print Post

I couldn't understand that either, thinking well they could just go for ADSL but I wasn't aware that some new builds are FTTP only, which is fantastic, but it's still quite a niche market for a standard homeowner.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 15:48:25
Print Post

It is an issue when it significantly limits supplier availability. Same issue potentially with the fibre providers like B4RN - it is all great when they offer what you want at a competitive rate but if your supplier options don't offer the choice you need then it is a seriously limiting factor. The fact so few suppliers currently resell OpenReach FTTP does mean that most are left with the slightly more premium priced options rather than the cheaper options available on FTTC.

There are quite a few that just want cheap reasonable service rather than being forced in to a FTTP service that is beyond their needs.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 15:49:54
Print Post

[re: tomse43] [link to this post]

Even where ADSL is available it isn't necessarily a useful option. My brother had ADSL when he first moved in to a new build and it was less than 2Mb/s. Luckily they rolled out FTTP to him but that limits package/supplier choice - so either really poor unreliable ADSL or limited choice on FTTP.
Standard User sjwright
(newbie) Thu 28-Sep-17 15:51:14
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Just spoken to the guys at AAISP and sent an enquiry to Zen. Excuse the french, but this has really fudged me over! It seems FTTP providers are expensive unless I go with BT, and I don't want to go to BT! Makes me sad, I just want a good old copper line with an ADSL service on it, up to 20mb with unlimited bandwidth. Boo!

Looks like BT are my only option, I wonder if it was an Openreach decision to put FTTP in place over FTTC? 🤔

Thanks for everyone's feedback by the way, really appreciated
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 15:55:12
Print Post

[re: sjwright] [link to this post]

A fair number of people would pay good money to be in your position. But, it does mean you are limited as to your choices until more suppliers start to supply the FTTP solution. Other suppliers could provide it but until the number of FTTP installs is higher they don't seem to see it as worth their while.

And from BT perspective it would be a waste to install copper when the government/lobbyists are all calling for FTTP as the "future". You have the future unfortunately a lot of suppliers are still living in the past.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 28-Sep-17 15:57:19
Print Post

[re: sjwright] [link to this post]

I understand your reservations about going with BT but the cost difference is ridiculous. At least you can select the lowest speed available to keep the price down and it should just -work- being FTTP.

Are you planning to have a land-line phone?
Standard User sjwright
(newbie) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:01:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

True story. Unfortunately, when that 'future' limits you to only one viable supplier, for me it negates the benefits. Anywho, think I'm going to have to lump it and ask the nice people at BT to do me a good deal...
Standard User sjwright
(newbie) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:02:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Nah, I don;t need a landline, I'd only be using it for internet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to