General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:08:05
Print Post

Re: FTTP monopoly - what are my options?

[re: sjwright] [link to this post]

There are likely quite a few people whose only "viable" supplier for reasonable speeds is Virgin - and I suspect quite a few of them aren't happy at that as well. At least BT do wholesale their network (albeit mostly because they have to) so there is the expectation that other ISPs will start selling it but with Virgin there is no wholesale requirement so it can be Virgin or nothing with no definite prospect that the position will ever change.

And as I said there are areas that have been built by other companies using fibre - that is a pure monopoly and whilst at present things seem to be going fine that may not be the case if the company providing goes bust or has to change business model.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:09:15
Print Post

Looks like you have the best thing available then - fast internet, no need for a landline. This is what many people can only dream of.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:11:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjwright:
Just spoken to the guys at AAISP and sent an enquiry to Zen. Excuse the french, but this has really fudged me over! It seems FTTP providers are expensive unless I go with BT, and I don't want to go to BT! Makes me sad, I just want a good old copper line with an ADSL service on it, up to 20mb with unlimited bandwidth. Boo!

Looks like BT are my only option, I wonder if it was an Openreach decision to put FTTP in place over FTTC? 🤔

Thanks for everyone's feedback by the way, really appreciated

What speeds are you referring to?

Zen's Unlimited Fibre 2 (FTTP) (£46.99 inc Line rental) prices are around the same for BT's Infinity 2 (£49.99 inc Line rental).

You only see a huge increase with Zen's packages when you go above those speeds due to the fact you have to get a business package.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310.95 Mbps (down), 29.37 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:14:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Looks like you have the best thing available then - fast internet, no need for a landline. This is what many people can only dream of.

You still have to have at least 1 phone line when you have FTTP, even if its only FTTP and no copper you get given FVA.

So at least you will have to have your phone line with BT unless other phone providers sell FVA.

We chose to have our phone line moved from copper to FVA due to our copper line was rubbish and was always dropping the line.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310.95 Mbps (down), 29.37 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 28-Sep-17 16:16:40)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:20:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Luckily they rolled out FTTP to him but that limits package/supplier choice - so either really poor unreliable ADSL or limited choice on FTTP.

,,, which leads me to the question I've asked often before .....

.. Other suppliers are already in the head end exchanges, have the links there (for FTTC) why not offer an FTTP based service ? It's a good product, why limit what you can offer your customers ?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:22:31
Print Post

He's saying he's been told that BT is his only option
Then that person needs their wrist slapping for giving mis-information. Btw based, yes, 'BT only', incorrect.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:25:45
Print Post

I wonder if it was an Openreach decision to put FTTP in place over FTTC?

Nope, that was the choice of the estates developers.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:29:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Other suppliers could provide it but until the number of FTTP installs is higher they don't seem to see it as worth their while.

Go to Wokingham, nearly 5000 houses going up by the A329M, all fibre only, I think CP's are being very short sighted.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:32:40
Print Post

Yes FTTP, two estates in Spencers Wood (more coming) Three in Wokingham, more due in Bracknell, one just down the road from me in Aldershot, (loads more to come there) .......

This is all on top of areas now having it rolled out much faster due to the new connectorised equipment.

Just remembered another FTTP only estate in Worplesdon near Woking .....

Edited by Zarjaz (Thu 28-Sep-17 16:33:39)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Sep-17 16:58:00
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

There is a no phone line wholesale product

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to