General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Sep-17 21:26:52
Print Post

Re: FTTP monopoly - what are my options?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I believe 80/20 is PNís top FTTP package.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Sep-17 21:28:31
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I believe 80/20 is PNís top FTTP package.

Ah, ok, wasn't too sure.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310.95 Mbps (down), 29.37 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Thu 28-Sep-17 21:33:47
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
In reply to a post by Rastus:
Besides, there's no need to have a phone line with PlusNets FTTP (trial), which AFAICS is the cheapest by far, £22.49 / £17.49 pm for 80/20 or 40/2 respectively with no phone line.

Yeah, but isn't PlusNet's FTTP (trial) only for already customers?
If so then that is only relevant if the user is already a customer of PlusNet, but if there is only FTTP and no copper lines and the user isn't already a PlusNet customer there is no chance in them getting FTTP from them.

See my reply to Batboy

But those prices do look nice smile
I wonder what price it becomes for higher speeds like 300 Mbit etc.
Its like Zen's prices for 40 and 80 seem fine, sadly anything above those speeds and the price goes sky high.

PN only offer the speeds I quoted at present (80/20 and 40/2) so the higher prices aren't relevant.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Fri 13-Oct-17 08:21:37
Print Post

[re: sjwright] [link to this post]

Very interesting thread. I've just found it googling for info, because my son is moving into a new build flat, and to my amazement all the FTTP gubbins is already installed, and lit up.

He's a first time buyer, on a very tight budget, myself and my wife are having to help considerably
financially (or we'll never get rid of him !) It does seem unfair he'll have to pay for a premium supplier (or in the case of BT, premium prices for non premium customer service !)

It has been suggested in another forum, that if you 'blindly' order a 'fibre' service from any ISP you will end
up with a provisioned service, but reading the comments in here, that doesn't appear to be the case ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Oct-17 08:31:47
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Specifics are the key here...

' 'blindly' order a 'fibre' service from any ISP' this will only work if the provider is retailing the GEA-FTTP service.

Even if you order from BT Consumer the price should be in the
£26.99 to £31.99 for the entry level Infinity 1 product (up to 52 Mbps)
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/bt/packages/unli...
Package due to update this morning, but offers vary usually within that range and claiming reward softens it.

After 12 months the price jumps but trick is to migrate to someone like https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/zen/packages/fib... at £43.99/m or negotiate a rate reduction in return for another fixed term with BT. Plus in 12 months time it is likely more people will be retailing the FTTP version so might be more choice.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Fri 13-Oct-17 09:01:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Specifics are the key here...

' 'blindly' order a 'fibre' service from any ISP' this will only work if the provider is retailing the GEA-FTTP service.

Even if you order from BT Consumer the price should be in the
£26.99 to £31.99 for the entry level Infinity 1 product (up to 52 Mbps)
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/bt/packages/unli...
Package due to update this morning, but offers vary usually within that range and claiming reward softens it.

After 12 months the price jumps but trick is to migrate to someone like https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/zen/packages/fib... at £43.99/m or negotiate a rate reduction in return for another fixed term with BT. Plus in 12 months time it is likely more people will be retailing the FTTP version so might be more choice.

Thanks Andrew,

He will certainly want 'unlimited', and being a 'young person' doesn't need to worry about the voice side of things ! He had budgeted on 20-25 quid/m for broadband, so going 5-10 quid over won't be too much of a disaster, we'll help him with that. Yes, good point, 12-18 months on there should be more FTTP ISP choice to use a stick with BT, or migrate to.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Oct-17 09:22:40
Print Post

The rewards that lower the impact of the price have just a gone, but at a guess will be back on 19th if in no hurry

Rewards range between £75 and at an absolute peak £150

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Fri 13-Oct-17 10:01:07
Print Post

The rewards that lower the impact of the price have just a gone, but at a guess will be back on 19th if in no hurry

Rewards range between £75 and at an absolute peak £150

OK, as with all house purchases, it'll be glacially slow !

Just one thought, I wonder what would happen if he 'blindly' ordered fibre from Plusnet ?

They do retail FTTP, but of course as discussed only as a trial for existing customers.

I'm a Plusnet customer, I wonder if there's a loophole there, where I could get the service installed for him in my name ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Oct-17 10:30:00
Print Post

If it was installed in your name, it would probably be dealt with as a house move, so you'd lose the broadband you have at the current address.

You can try blindly ordering if you want, but usually gets no where beyond the address look up which then offers ADSL or nothing

(member) Fri 13-Oct-17 11:22:29
Print Post

You can try blindly ordering if you want, but usually gets no where beyond the address look up which then offers ADSL or nothing

The concept seems over complicated. In essence the provision as far as the ISP is concerned is the same as FTTC, the demarcation point remains the same, a PPPoE port on a BT Openreach modem, it shouldn't matter whether that's a VDSL box, on an 'ONT', I'm obviously missing something here ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to