General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User moosekebab
(newbie) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:33:27
Print Post

New fibre cabinet coming with no PCP nearby

[link to this post]

Bit of a weird situation - I'm connected to a cabinet at the end of the road and get about 35meg from it. Cable route is from my house to a pole on the grass verge by the road in front of my house and then underground duct to the cabinet down the hill at the end of the road.
Yesterday I got home to a hole at the bottom of the telegraph pole exposing the ducting. I just checked on roadworks.org and the exact spot says "Install fibre cabinet and electrical connection" so it looks as though Openreach in their infinite wisdom has decided to put a shiny new Fibre cab right in front of my house.

What are the chances that I will get my line connected to that cab? Incidentally there are no PCP cabs anywhere near me, the closest is the one I'm on - MYKKB PCP6

Has this happened to anyone before ? Is it worth digging up my front garden and laying a duct into that hole wink
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Sep-17 14:42:13
Print Post

Re: New fibre cabinet coming with no PCP nearby

[re: moosekebab] [link to this post]

It could be an all in one cabinet where the PCP and DSLAM are both housed in the same shell.

Infil work does go on. Itís probably to serve people further away who get less than 24meg from the existing cabinet, but that doesnít mean they only reroute their lines, theyíre done in bundles, so you may well find yours is rerouted too, especially if youíre connected to the pole where the work is going on.
Standard User thebigdolphin1
(member) Sat 30-Sep-17 14:22:29
Print Post

[re: moosekebab] [link to this post]

I honestly doubt they'll reroute you to it, especially if you're already receiving 35Mb.

I'm in a similar situation, except the block of houses nearby me can only receive 10-20Mb due to a long line to the cabinet (almost a mile away). Our local BDUK team are installing a new AIO cabinet down the bottom of my road - great news, I thought. Turns out (from numerous emails) that they're only going to link up some EO lines (they're even connected to the same cabinet as us at the moment as a temporary solution), and I can't imagine their speeds are much slower than ours - yet they refuse to connect the other 50 houses receiving no more than 20Mb (and that's when there's good conditions) to the cabinet.

I really just don't understand it - not to even mention that there's less than 40 houses which were previously on an EO line (and AIO cabs can supposedly facilitate 128 fibre connections). Hopefully they'll change their mind, but they seem confident that we're not part of their rollout plan.

TalkTalk - Fibre - 20Mbps down - 4Mbps up

Edited by thebigdolphin1 (Sat 30-Sep-17 14:24:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 30-Sep-17 15:40:04
Print Post

[re: thebigdolphin1] [link to this post]

They're installing a fibre cabinet right under the OP's telegraph pole.
I'll eat Paddy's hat if he isn't connected to it.

They don't pick individual lines based on sync speed. They tends to move bundles at a time. Your bundle may be above their targets.
I've seen lines already getting 40Mb getting connected to an infill cabinet.
Standard User thebigdolphin1
(member) Sat 30-Sep-17 15:43:50
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Well I just thought it's a little strange that, in our instance, it seems unviable to build and install an entire cab for less than 30 properties, and not take the chance to transfer another 60 to meet the 24Mb target. Based on its position though, it does look like they might connect us to it - it certainly wouldn't make much sense where it is if it's only for the originally intended postcodes.

I'll be honest and say I'm not too sure on how lines are transferred between cabinets, it could just be a difficult process for our specific set of lines.

TalkTalk - Fibre - 20Mbps down - 4Mbps up
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Sep-17 17:05:46
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Tell us what it tastes like smile

I could show you a pole in Spencerís Wood which is literally a foot away from cab 13, but itís fed off cab 2, making FTTC services to it and the static mobile home Park next to dreadful.

Common sense doesnít always prevail.

Standard User j0hn83
(committed) Sat 30-Sep-17 17:19:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Haha.
I've seen similar also. With this being a specific network rearrangement and the ducting from the Telegraph pole being exposed, I'd take a guess that Hat isn't on the menu smile

Of course nothing's a certainty, especially with OpenReach.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Sun 01-Oct-17 01:10:25
Print Post

[re: thebigdolphin1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thebigdolphin1:
I honestly doubt they'll reroute you to it, especially if you're already receiving 35Mb.

This is the answer, 99.9% of the time, unfortunately. I hope Zarjaz is right, he usually is!

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Sun 01-Oct-17 01:13:32)

Print Thread

Jump to