General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Sun 01-Oct-17 14:31:48
Print Post

Re: FTTC Availability

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

A range is 8.3 - 4.6.
I haven't spoken to the neighbours. Most are elderly and not into hi speed internet, although I suspect that my immediate neighbour may have a higher speed, so I need to chat to him.
I agree that FTTC may well be worth a punt with BT. It surely can't be worse, but I'll see what Openreach come up with on my ADSL complaint first.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Oct-17 15:14:56
Print Post

[re: Tertius] [link to this post]

BT Consumer won't sell you Infinity 1 with those ranges, but a Faster Broadband which is same technically but generally without all the nice offers...

So look at others such as Sky, PlusNet, Vodafone.

1 month contracts should appear more widely soon so taking a risk becomes less of an issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Sun 01-Oct-17 15:43:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just been for a wander. Half my cul de sac are, like me, on PCP 5. The other half are on PCP 18. I now realise that 18 is only half as far away as 5. I appreciate that is only half the story, and of no help to me, but it just adds to that 3rd rate citizen feeling.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Sun 01-Oct-17 15:48:37
Print Post

Looks like I'll be changing ISP soon then, and still get less than 10Mbps. I stayed in a B&B near Lands End last week. Middle of nowhere, and miles from anywhere, but 30Mbps. Slightly envious.
Standard User lee111s
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Oct-17 16:56:24
Print Post

What does the Openreach site say?
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Sun 01-Oct-17 17:15:51
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

The Openreach site says FTTC may be available, and has probably said that since 2010.
Had a look at all the house numbers on the DSL checker:
1-7 PCP 18, and VDSL up to 20Mbps
8-20 PCP 5, and VDSL varying between up to 3Mbps and up to 5Mbps. Mine is in this bunch, and has gone down from 'up to 8Mbps' a few days ago to join the 'up to 5Mbps' team.
Some of the properties at 21 and higher are PCP 5 poor relations, but a few are PCP 18, at up to 40Mbps.
Most of the properties are over 30 years old, but I suspect that the high speed PCP 18 ones are individual new builds
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Sat 07-Oct-17 07:56:37
Print Post

Have now had a visit from a very helpful Openreach engineer. The line length from cab 5 to me is 1500m, but there is another cab (5/2) in between, which is a 600m line length from me. At first he was hoping that 5/2 was actually cab 18, which has FFTC. Unfortunately, cab 5/2 is not 18 in disguise, has no fibre, and is just an extension from 5.
Nevertheless, he found a better connection was available at 5/2 than the one I was on, and that change has boosted the signal at the modem to 3.8 Mbps. I only get 2.6 Mbps after the router, but that is a huge improvement from 0.7.
Now that the copper connection has been improved I will push TalkTalk to offer me a fibre option. If they wonít, Iíll try BT. Even 5-8 Mbps FTTC would be worth the swap.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Oct-17 08:46:29
Print Post

Cabs with a / in the name are always a pillar or sub cabinet.

One or two have been converted into full cabinets with fibre twins but relies on the economics and where the BDUK roll-out is in terms of helping the edge cases

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Sat 07-Oct-17 11:27:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew, I just wish they had thought this through when the fibre was put in in 2010.
In both geographic and line terms, it is more or less a straight line from Cab 5 to the far end of our road (confirmed by the Openreach engineer). Cab 5 is at the far end of the chain, cab 5/2 is at the end of our minor road nearest to cab 5, and I am in the middle of our road . Cab 18 is midway between 5 & 5/2 and is on the same straight road.
The houses nearest the cabs are on 18 and can get 40Mbps fibre, the middle bunch (me) are on 5 and get poor ADSL, and the furthest houses from the cabs are on 18 and get 20Mbps fibre.
I know I canít change that arrangement, but it defies common sense.
Anyhow, my ADSL is now better than it was, so Iím grateful for small mercies.
Standard User Tertius
(newbie) Tue 14-Nov-17 08:03:37
Print Post

To close this thread:
TalkTalk wouldnít offer me a FTTC service, so I went with Plusnet.
The new service was connected yesterday and is giving over 5mbs up, and about 1Mbps down. Not brilliant, but as expected, and double the ADSL speed.
For simplicity I am currently connected via the Plusnet router, but will re-instate my Draytek modem and Apple router later today.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to