General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Wed 04-Oct-17 14:15:46
Print Post

Fibre for EO premises at last

[link to this post]

Hi
The village where I live has had FTTC for a couple of years now but a quarter of us were exchange only so had no access. Since then I've been attempting to get a date for when the problem could be resolved but as you might imagine it has been difficult getting an answer.
We even had a public meeting where an opensource rep & someone from Connecting Cambridgeshire were present. The opensource guy was so ill-informed that he didn't realise we had a problem but he promised to look into it.
Their first response was that it was unlikely to happen for quite a while because of technical problems & expense but they would get back to us in 12 months with an update. They didn't.

I plugged away and last month, with the help of our local MP, we got a date: the end of 2019. This is (still) reflected on the Connecting Cambridgeshire's website.
Then, yesterday I had several emails from various ISPs stating that it was (suddenly) available! I immediately checked the various deals & signed up. Whilst upgrading I asked TalkTalk why fibre was suddenly available & they said that they had upgraded their LLU equipment in our exchange.
I signed up for the superfast 76 MB/s but they're only promising 50 MB/s so I don't really understand how this has come about. I'd always been told that to supply fibre to EO premises would require two new green cabinets. I haven't any new cabinets appear in the village so I'm a littled puzzled as to how it has been achieved.
It's due to go live on 23rd October so I'll wait to see how it goes.
Standard User witchunt
(committed) Wed 04-Oct-17 14:27:26
Print Post

Re: Fibre for EO premises at last

[re: DavidA23] [link to this post]

Or 1 new cabinet depending how it's been done.
Which exchange?
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Wed 04-Oct-17 14:29:53
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

The exchange is Gamlingay

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Oct-17 14:41:29
Print Post

TalkTalk putting LLU into the exchange is the reason they can now offer service to people who could already get FTTC from other suppliers - it has no bearing on the fact you can now get FTTC at all. Either BT have put in a new cabinet to serve you or someone has made a mistake in the database and the order could fail.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 04-Oct-17 14:50:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by DavidA23:
We even had a public meeting where an opensource rep & someone from Connecting Cambridgeshire were present. The opensource guy was so ill-informed that he didn't realise we had a problem but he promised to look into it.

Might have happened quicker if you had someone from BTs subsidiary Openreach there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Wed 04-Oct-17 14:56:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Well, there's certainly no new cabinets in the vicinity so all I can think is that they have new added cabinets just outside the exchange (although I can't see them)
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Wed 04-Oct-17 15:00:22
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
TalkTalk putting LLU into the exchange is the reason they can now offer service to people who could already get FTTC from other suppliers - it has no bearing on the fact you can now get FTTC at all. Either BT have put in a new cabinet to serve you or someone has made a mistake in the database and the order could fail.

Still odd that it has accepted an order for FTTC though, sounds like a mistake. It sounds like a small exchange, so the fibre cabinets won’t be connected via that exchange anyway. They’ll go to a larger exchange.

I wonder if a new cabinet has gone into the exchange car park or something, where it’s not visible? Usually they’re on public land outside the exchange but once I saw a cabinet actually in the exchange car park itself, in North Wales.

OP, if you put your phone number into the BT Wholesale checker does it show a cabinet now or still no?

Icaras
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Oct-17 15:01:19
Print Post

Use http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres... by putting your postcode in first then selecting your address from the next screen. It may tell you what cabinet you're connected to.
Standard User DavidA23
(newbie) Wed 04-Oct-17 15:27:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

OK, that tells me I'm connected to Cabinet 7.
All I need to do now is find where it's located.
Standard User tomse43
(learned) Wed 04-Oct-17 15:36:25
Print Post

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.15566,-0.192826,3a,2...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to